Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can we please ban the word 'nerdy'?

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:17 pm
It makes me cringe so hard when used sincerely. Also 'nebby'. Oof.

Genius

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:21 pm
Some things are nerdy. You’ll need to provide a good substitute word if you ban this one. Unless the ban is only against using it to describe people.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:26 pm
Some ppl are proud to be nerdy.

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:12 pm
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that 30+ year old women are using this word? How did that word ever graduate grade 9?

mamma llama

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 6:37 pm
genius wrote:
Some things are nerdy. You’ll need to provide a good substitute word if you ban this one. Unless the ban is only against using it to describe people.

Then people will get tired of the substitute one too... We can't just eliminate ideas from the English dictionary because they make us uncomfortable. (Not that I didn't try when the term "lol" came around! Wink )

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:23 pm

Proud to be a nerd, and I feel bad for the people who use it as a pejorative 😎

chicco

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:32 pm
Please, please, please can we stop "banning" words. I'm all for choosing to be expressive, eloquent, articulate, and generally nice in our expression, but the last thing we need is for Yael to censor more words on this site. It is getting out of control.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:45 pm
Ummm I actually love when people call me nerdy. To me it means, “unique, creative, intelligent, trailblazer” and “into something more than taffeta and Pom poms”.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:46 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Ummm I actually love when people call me nerdy. To me it means, “unique, creative, intelligent, trailblazer” and “into something more than taffeta and Pom poms”.

I am a nerd and proud of it. But I love taffeta and Pom poms.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:47 pm
Bigsis144 I live John Green!

Here’s another quote from him:

“Why is being a nerd bad? Saying I notice you’re a nerd is like saying, ‘Hey, I notice that you’d rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you’d rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Linsey Lohan. Why is that?”

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I am a nerd and proud of it. But I love taffeta and Pom poms.

Ooops, sorry. I forgot anything can be a fandom. To quote John Green (and Hank) yet once again, “Don’t harsh on my yum.”

mizle10

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:52 pm
I personally find the word neby very nerdy Smile

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 7:57 pm
Nerdy to describe geek types is fine, but when it's used the imamother way... Just gets under my skin.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:33 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Ooops, sorry. I forgot anything can be a fandom. To quote John Green (and Hank) yet once again, “Don’t harsh on my yum.”

My kids say “don’t yuck my yum”. Smile

I think “nerdy” means something different in frumspeak than in the general populace.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:41 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
My kids say “don’t yuck my yum”. Smile

I think “nerdy” means something different in frumspeak than in the general populace.

I’m okay with having a word that means (if I understand the frum connotation correctly) “not trend-aware” or even “unsophisticated”. It’s neutral enough and only becomes a negative if people obsess about NOT being nerdy, and that’s more of a reflection on them, you know?

You can describe my hamantasch-and-a-juice-box Mishloach manos, or my kids in their Target brand outfits as “nerdy”, whatevs, I feel bad that you (the collective you, not dancingqueen) feel pressure to overspend, stress about impressing people or fitting in, etc.

It astonishes me how the tiniest things can become so huge in this quest to not be deemed “nerdy”.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:54 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Then people will get tired of the substitute one too... We can't just eliminate ideas from the English dictionary because they make us uncomfortable. (Not that I didn't try when the term "lol" came around! Wink )

Because it’s not a word, it’s an acronym that people made into a word. Like the parents who named their child Espn!! What is wrong with people or should I say pple?!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics