Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona virus at Maimonides hospital
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:09 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Since when are those patients with covid19 in maimo?

(We weren’t in maimo btw and my child had some unidentified virus)

Cases as of yesterday

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Two people tested positive in Maimonides hospital, boro park.

3 now

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:48 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
3 now

Do we have any names to daven for?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:52 pm
It's getting scary. Italian Doctors are now having to face the ultimate decision. Because there are so many sick, there are not enough doctors or beds to handle it the load, and have decided not to treat the elderly, even for other health issues. They will basically have to decide who will live or not, giving preference to younger patients. https://www.theatlantic.com/id.....7807/

If you have ever been to Maimonides ER, you will know how crowded it can get. especially the ER, where patients are lined up in rows and rows. I feel even before this virus hit, they can not handle the crowds, how much more so if C'V, the masses become infected. We really need to pray really hard, for the Doctor of all Doctors to bring this to an end.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:32 pm
My son was at Maimonides ER on Purim. He was kept in the hall as they had a patient with corona in a room.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My son was at Maimonides ER on Purim. He was kept in the hall as they had a patient with corona in a room.

You know this for sure? You heard the doctors confirming it? Or were they testing and waiting for results?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
You know this for sure? You heard the doctors confirming it? Or were they testing and waiting for results?

The doctor told my husband that they're keeping my son there and not in a room because a child had tested positive. They weren't allowing the parent to leave the room either. They were afraid if the parent has it but had no symptoms she can get the other kids in the ER sick.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:43 am
There are rumors going around that the nurses in maimonides are more or less ignoring patients with covid? Anybody knows something about this?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
There are rumors going around that the nurses in maimonides are more or less ignoring patients with covid? Anybody knows something about this?

I also couldnt believe it when I heard it this morning. Then I got a recording on WhatsApp from a Hatzalah member saying in detail that Maimonides is taking full responsibility for their failure to check on patients with COVID and are implementing new policies. Nurses were scared to catch it and the PPE guidelines were so strict they couldnt be bothered to keep changing so they can check on the patient so they just didnt go. That's how a couple of people were niftar. Now they relaxed the PPE requirements and the nurses have to check on each patient every hour.

I hope these families sue for millions.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:58 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
The doctor told my husband that they're keeping my son there and not in a room because a child had tested positive. They weren't allowing the parent to leave the room either. They were afraid if the parent has it but had no symptoms she can get the other kids in the ER sick.

Apparently a parent of a child with the virus left the iso room and started wandering around. When the nurses saw they made the parent return to the iso room as they were likely also a carrier at that point.

Three days later, my husband got the virus from the ER. The two hatzalah members that took them also got it three days later.

Maimonides should have had proper isolation rooms or told EMS and hatzala not to bring patients there if they are coming for anything other than covid19. No reason to have exposed many.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:58 am
groisamomma wrote:
I also couldnt believe it when I heard it this morning. Then I got a recording on WhatsApp from a Hatzalah member saying in detail that Maimonides is taking full responsibility for their failure to check on patients with COVID and are implementing new policies. Nurses were scared to catch it and the PPE guidelines were so strict they couldnt be bothered to keep changing so they can check on the patient so they just didnt go. That's how a couple of people were niftar. Now they relaxed the PPE requirements and the nurses have to check on each patient every hour.

Insane!!! I was hoping these were false rumors. 😰 why the #%%#@$ are ppl still going there, im so mad now

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:55 am
I’ve been to the er at Maimo a few times. I’ve also been in hospital there with sick relative. The nursing staff there are terrible. There might be some decent staff members. It also could be partly because the patient to staff ratio is too high. But it can’t be just that, some of the nurses were terrible. Suing them for millions won’t bring anyone back. That place needs to be shut down.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:03 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I’ve been to the er at Maimo a few times. I’ve also been in hospital there with sick relative. The nursing staff there are terrible. There might be some decent staff members. It also could be partly because the patient to staff ratio is too high. But it can’t be just that, some of the nurses were terrible. Suing them for millions won’t bring anyone back. That place needs to be shut down.

Agree 100 percent! It's so sad especially since the covid patients can't have anyone with them so basically left at their (nonexistent) mercy. Seems like for the most part the patients were just left to die with barely minimal intervention. I hope people stop sending there, this is so unnerving

ladYdI

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:48 am
I got the message from hatzola about Maimonides via telegram but I’m unable to figure out how to post the link here. How can I do it? Can anybody post the audio here?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:09 am
Tbh im not sure it'll make me feel better. I have yet to hear someone having a good experience with the er. Ive heard from too many that the nurses there are ppl you wouldn't want to cross paths with on a good day. They should use any other hospital if they care to get better.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:12 am
groisamomma wrote:

I am a nurse at a unit in Maimonides.

My parents struggle with long term health issues and over the years I have taken them to various hospitals across the city. I find the care they received was dependent on what was going on for his nurses and drs at that particular time. Its the same for my Maimonides unit. If the stars align so that you are a patient at a time when the unit is relatively quiet than you may not have to wait and the staff has the time to go out of their way to give you extra TLC. However if you arrive when all rooms are full and there were just 3 emergencies then you may feel slighted but the nurses will point you in the direction of the ice machine and bring you your tylenol 20 minutes late because they are rushing to stop someones hemorrhage or stabilize someone having a seizure. As far as staffing, my experience as a nurse and based on my RN friends working in hospitals across the city's reports, it is similar all over. If three people call out sick, the unit will be short staffed. Anywhere. My experience as employee RN and patient has been that magnet hospitals like Mount Sinai main campus and wealthier places like Sloan Kettering do tend to have newer equipment and better quality supplies but again, patient experience will vary by the circumstances per shift.

Regarding the hatzla voice note which I understood to mean that Maimo will ventilate all pts regardless of age or comorbidities and will require nurses to relax PPE so thst they can round on patients every hour (I dont know how to share the audio here… can someone help with that?)
Please put yourselves in the shoes of the nurse and her family. My children are proud of the work I do and they know that I am willing to give my all to my patients at work as well as those that ring my bell or call during supper for medical advice, however nurse or Drs are NOT required to put their lives in danger. Nor should they. I will copy and paste an article that was written during the Ebola crisis regarding this. To think that Hatzala or any patient would feel so entitled that they feel their provider should wear less than safe PPE ( Personal protective equipment like masks, gloves, eye protection etc) is horrifying. I dont want my elderly mom or dad or any sick family member to be alone in the hospital. But these are not regular times. This is a crisis situation and it was determined that barring visitors would go a long way to mitigating this outbreak. Can any decent individual, let alone a Frum jew demand that someone put their life on the line by "relaxing PPE requirements (per hatzala voicenote)"?! That is just not OK and I would love to hear a hatzala voice note rescinding that demand. They can demand more staffing if possible so that nurse to patient ratio is better. But that hasnt been done even during no crisis mode. Hospital administrators and managers sit in their ivory towers pushing paper and making policy. I have yet to see managers donning PPE and entering my covid patients rooms. Though they sometimes visit staff at the station with their N95 on. So please Hatzala… dont call my boss and pressure them to put me in a situation where my children may be the next tragic headline because their mom didnt make it because she was forced to go into your highly infectious family members room without adequate protection.

Ebola article:
Below are the words of Aaron Mishler, a nurse, former Army Medic, and Ebola responder in West Africa in 2014-2015.
These are the most important words I’ve read in a long time.
These are the same words we used as a team, every SINGLE time we entered the Ebola Treatment Unit:
“Who is the most important person in the ETU?”
“I am.”
Thank you, Aaron, for using your voice.
I was asked to repost this with the news of 13 Italian doctors dying from COVID-19. If you do not have proper PPE, do not go in. No matter what.
This post is for my healthcare workers, docs, surgeons, Nurses, aids, and EMS, and all staff.
There is no emergency in a pandemic.
You as a healthcare worker are a force multiplier. Your training and experience is invaluable moving into this crisis. So, you’re going to be faced with some very difficult moments. You’re going to have to put your needs first.
I’m speaking specifically about PPE and your safety.
If you’re an ICU nurse, or an ICU doc, and you become infected, not only are you out of the game for potentially weeks (or killed). But your replacements could be people without your expertise. Your remaining co-workers are short staffed now, more likely to make mistakes and become ill themselves. You stop being a force multiplier and start using healthcare resources.
You going in may save the patient, it may not. But you cant save any patients in the weeks you’re laying in a hospital bed or using a vent yourself.
People are going to die. Do not become one of them.
During the Ebola outbreak, people were dying. But at no point did we rush in, we took the 10 minutes to put on our PPE with our spotter. If we didn’t have proper PPE we did NOT go in.
You may work in long term care, and want to rush in to save a patient you have had for years. Do not go in without your PPE.
You may have a survivor in the room, screaming at you to come in because their mother is crashing. Do not go in without your PPE.
You may have an infected woman in labor. Screaming for help. Do not go in without your PPE.
You may have a self-quarantined patient with a gunshot wound who is bleeding out. Do not go in there without your PPE.
Doing nothing may be the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do in your life.
Many of you say, I could never do that. I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from rushing in and saving my patient.
Liberian nurses and doctors said the same thing, and many did run in to help, saying PPE be damned. My patients need me.
Then they became infected, they infected others. And they died.
They didn’t help anyone after that.
Do not let the deaths of hundreds of healthcare workers be forgotten.

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:21 am
Many local hospitals are the same story. Here in monsey a young person died in Good Sam of coronavirus and Hatzolah transferred subsequent patients to Westchester.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Many local hospitals are the same story. Here in monsey a young person died in Good Sam of coronavirus and Hatzolah transferred subsequent patients to Westchester.

It seems the same everywhere. Patient and families (my self included) are terrifed. The WHO, the DOH and the CDC are scrambling to learn about this new illness, its transmission, its course and its treatment and it seems like guidelines and facts change every hour. Supplies and PPE are in super short supply and being rationed if and when available. Hospitals are in war mode. That affects patient care. And I dont know if it is possible to change that. But attacking front line health care workers and demanding they sacrifice their lives for yours is just not OK. So I will hold your loved ones and be kind and give the best care I can. But they will have to wait while I don and doff my PPE appropriately. They will have to wait when I stop 1 time in 12 hours, scrub my hands and gulp down some coffee, water and food, hoping I am not infecting myself. And you need to understand that.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:36 am
I understand your feelings as a nurse and I’m sure you’re a good one. Im sure Aaron Mishler is one of the good ones too and, for the record, I’m not suggesting any nurse work without PPE.
I want to address one point you made about a nurse bringing tylenol 20 minutes late.
I have been at maimo er with a patient in excruciating pain from an illness that causes the most terrible pain as any doctor can tell you if I spell it out which I’m not doing. Patient received NO pain medication at all over a period of over 12 hours.
What was even more shocking was the disgusting tone of voice nurse used in speaking to patient. I’m not asking for sympathy, empathy or kindness from an overworked er nurse. I’m asking for basic human decency which was completely absent.
Patient was removed from er by family and taken to private doctor in what was a possibly life threatening situation.
When I read about patients’ death due to neglect at Maimonides by nurses during covid-19 crisis I was not at all surprised. I shudder to think what would have happened to above patient without family member present.
I haven’t described to you filthy unsanitary conditions or my experiences during other visits to maimo er to keep this post a length that you can read.
Please understand the problems at this hospital go far beyond someone getting tylenol 20 minutes late.

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:38 am
Yes! I heard it first hand from a patient how patients neighbor was being neglected. Patient is bh recovering and kept on calling the family but unfortunately the family is helpless. Abt this and other stories is why hatzolah gave out that message. I heard it. Seeing is believing. Untill we wont see actual changes I don't believe it. Hatzolah has to stick up for maimonides, they have been for many yrs. Hatzolah unfortunately we need them but they're corrupt through and through. Most of these patients that nebach passed away are a direct result of neglect of the hospital.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics