Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Sons school closing for fear of corona virus

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:54 pm
My son who is in a bklyn school will now be out of school until further notice. The school is being overly cautious and closing due to spread of the virus in bklyn. They plan to go online to teach the students until they allow students back in school.
I’m not happy about this at all.
My other children are in other schools in bklyn and they have not closed. I don’t know of other bklyn schools who have chosen to close. I’m also working out of the home and I can not take off from my job.

isrmss91

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:58 pm
If your son's school is closing, then ALL the schools will be closing. It's all a matter of time when the rest of us in Brooklyn will be informed and I expect it shortly. My neighbor heard some officers mention Public Schools will be closing. Closures are coming.
Luckily your school has an online option. If parents don't have internet, then they don't have that option, what do we do with our children. Unless they have phone conference, but with children in different grades at home, I don't see how that will work.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:00 pm
My son's school is closing as well. Many yeshivas are closing in Manhattan as well.

realb

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:01 pm
Yes more than one school have announced closures in Brooklyn. Bezrat Hashem everything is for the best

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:05 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
If your son's school is closing, then ALL the schools will be closing. It's all a matter of time when the rest of us in Brooklyn will be informed and I expect it shortly. My neighbor heard some officers mention Public Schools will be closing. Closures are coming.

I’m wondering if other Bklyn schools, both Jewish and public schools will start to close too. And when? it seems a little premature.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m wondering if other Bklyn schools, both Jewish and public schools will start to close too. And when? Because I haven’t heard of a single bklyn school closing as of now, aside from my son’s. And it seems a little premature.

At least two Brooklyn schools that I know of already closed .
Magen and YOF

It’s a matter of time before the rest start closing.

As of now public schools are open .

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:18 pm
All the Teaneck area yeshivas are closed.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:19 pm
I don't live in bk but our school plans to follow whatever the local public school system decides. Davening they stay open.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:22 pm
It is not premature.
For it to have the most impact and desired success the sooner the better.
Tough as it is the alternative is worse.
hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:43 pm
That’s tough.
If read up on st Loise during the Spanish flu they started quarantine very early and literally 100s of 1000s of lives were saved compared to other cities.
It may just be a small price to pay for life.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:51 pm
Bnos Yaakov closed too

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:57 pm
My childrens' school has decided to stay open, but I have a feeling the city has other ideas planned, and will force closures, sooner or later.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:13 am
https://I.imgur.com/7E3ohJl.jpg

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 1:25 am
I work for the NYC DOE, and as of now, there are no plans to close the Public Schools, which provide childcare (not to mention breakfast and lunch) for a million school,children. If anyone is infected, that particular school will be closed (and disinfected), but at present there is no plan for mass closure.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 2:59 am
The kids will all be pesach cleaning at home instead of learning

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:22 am
It won’t make a difference if a few individual schools close. Either they all decide to close or none of them close. As long as my other kids have to go to school and I still need to go to work, there’s no point in one child having no school. The rest of us will all be surrounded by other people and kids during the day and coming home with all of that on us anyway. The yeshivas should wait to see if the public schools close and then do it all at the same time. Otherwise I don’t see how it’s helpful or preventative for one or a few yeshivas to close while the rest of the city remains open.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:24 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I work for the NYC DOE, and as of now, there are no plans to close the Public Schools, which provide childcare (not to mention breakfast and lunch) for a million school,children. If anyone is infected, that particular school will be closed (and disinfected), but at present there is no plan for mass closure.

I agree with this policy. The schools need to consider that childcare is a huge factor in remaining open for the working parents.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:28 am
Two of the three different schools my kids attend are closed.

One because the local school district is closed and so all the private schools are following suit.

It's a pain. But I understand the rationale. Luckily I'm in a position where I have childcare coverage. But I feel for those who don't. (My highschooler is having remote classes on line).

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:36 am
I wish the government would close all the schools now. Let us be home with healthy kids, not home with chhv sick or worse kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics