Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much should swimming lessons cost

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:04 am
Like private 1:1 for a little kid

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:27 am
I paid $60 for 1/2 hr. I sent 2 kids. It was same price for 1 or 2. In Lakewood. They were up to level 2 & 4. only sent to 4 sessions.
I had sent to groups in past and this was much better. They advance so much in each class - way more then group lessons that are more classes.
And in the end it didn’t cost more then paying for 2 group sessions.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 4:50 am
Anywhere from $40-80 per half hour for private .

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 5:11 am
About $120 - $150 an hour.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 5:15 am
wow! I pay under 40 for half an hour private lesson. if I was a "member" it would be less.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 5:16 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I paid $60 for 1/2 hr. I sent 2 kids. It was same price for 1 or 2. In Lakewood. They were up to level 2 & 4. only sent to 4 sessions.
I had sent to groups in past and this was much better. They advance so much in each class - way more then group lessons that are more classes.
And in the end it didn’t cost more then paying for 2 group sessions.

Who was the instructor? Can you post contact details? I’d send my kids

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:31 am
We pay $28 for half an hour OOT.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:16 am
Can't a parent or older sibling teach a kid to swim - like in the good old days?

My Mother taught my older sister to swim. Older sister taught me to swim. Nobody had
to pay for expensive "lessons".

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:18 am
Can't a parent or older sibling teach a kid to swim - like in the good old days?

My Mother taught my older sister to swim. Older sister taught me to swim. I taught DC to swim. Nobody had to pay for expensive "lessons".

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:23 am
#BestBubby wrote:

My Mother taught my older sister to swim. Older sister taught me to swim. I taught DC to swim. Nobody had to pay for expensive "lessons".

This was in the summer at the lake?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:25 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Where?
It would cost me that much to rent a pool. Not everyone has acccess to a pool. I haven’t been swimming in years.

And even so - I wouldn’t know how to teach them proper stroke or breathing technique.

When I went to camp we had daily swimming lessons. I don’t know why they don’t do that anymore.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:26 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Sure! I think most parents or siblings can teach a kid how to do an OK doggie paddle and tread water. My parents taught me to swim. But I still did a group swim class for a while where I had fun, learned different strokes and better form, and worked on my speed.

Also, due to tznius, it's not always so easy for parents who don't go mixed swimming to make pool time with their kids, unless they have a private pool. I live OOT. Women's and men's separate swim hours at our JCC are only after 8pm, which is way too late to take most preschool or early elementary kids swimming.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
This was in the summer at the lake?

Summer at a pool in a bungalow colony. I also had some group swim lessons from lifeguard
in sleep-away camp where I learned proper Crawl with rythmic breathing and backstroke.

Sister taught me breast stroke and american crawl.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:14 am
My kids also practiced in backyard pool. I got one that was quite big (but cheap about $25) and
2 feet deep. They learned to swim underwater, float on their back.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:18 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Summer at a pool in a bungalow colony. I also had some group swim lessons from lifeguard
in sleep-away camp where I learned proper Crawl with rythmic breathing and backstroke.

Many Camps don’t teach swimming anymore
We don’t go to bungalow colony (saving money there) so no pool.
And in the end private lessons cost me the same as group lessons - because 2 girls went. 4x$60 =$240. Group lessons each would have been $120.
Can’t teach breast stroke, crawl or diving in 2 ft pool.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:24 am
#BestBubby wrote:

right. So summers at the pool in a bungalow colony. Can you acknowledge that not everyone has this lifestyle option - hence need for lessons?

Raw

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:34 am
#BestBubby wrote:

My Mother taught my older sister to swim. Older sister taught me to swim. Nobody had
to pay for expensive "lessons".

It depends what level you want your kids to swim at. Parents and siblings can teach water safety and basic swimming form, but proper technique and speed requires instruction over several years from a trained swimming instructor.

I pay $25 for 30 min per kid, small groups. They have swim lessons weekly most of the year but truthfully, they haven’t progressed as much as I’d like. It really depends on the kid and instructor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics