Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is the youngest babysitter you would take?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:43 am
Is a 12 year old too young to babysite 2 toddlers? My niece is 12 and very responsible for her age, but is that too young? Especially if we're going to be out for 5+ hours in the evening?

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:42 am
The youngest I would take is probably a 15 year old, unless we were close by. (We live next door to the shul and there are a lot of functions we go to there)

But usually I have much older babysitters.

drumjj

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:43 am
I think it totally depends on the person. where I live there are fifteen year olds who I dont trust as much as a thirteen year old girl that I know here. admittedly she doesnt baby sit till too late but I would trust her a hundred times more than some other older girls I really think age is relative.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:51 am
I think it also depends on whether the kids are awake or not. If it's 5 hours and they are sleeping the entire time, it doesn't matter too much if the babysitter is 12 or 13.

Atali

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:04 am
I personally would not be comfortable with a babysitter that young

MrsS

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:21 am
I dont think I would take a girl younger than 14years old.

technic

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:22 am
with older kids were more relaxed - however, when our kids were younger, we wanted certainly not under 17 and pref older lady, but.....

many moons ago, we went on a school shabbaton w our then 3 1/2yrold and just-under-2 yr old, and met the daughter of one of the teachers - a lovely girl kyh, beautifully groomed, polished nails, v responsible...on the motzei there was a program and we paid her 2 sit in our room and watch the kids...

back home , I couldnt get our regular sitter so I called this girl...she came, babysat a whole evening and bh all went well...as my dh was taking her home I asked her which (17 yr old) exams she was taking and she said "im only 13"!!! shock shock shock

I went white at the thought of having left our kids w someone so young but she seemed so mature that id never thought 2 ask her age embarrassed

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:48 am
Another point to take into consideration is how much experirnce the girl has had with young children.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:53 am
I've been using a 13 year old when ds is sleeping. Her family lives in the same building, so I know if she had any problem, she would call one of her parents.

Newsie

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 5:57 am
I used a 12 year old a few times- her mother was down the block if she had a problem and she was from a family with 11 children and had quite a few nieces and nephews- she was probably more experienced than me. I was hesitant at first, but it was fine

blueyes

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 8:45 am
I wouldnt use a babysitter so young. I only use someone I know of and my babysitters are usually around 17 or 18 years old. Ususally a senior from high school. (my kids are 3 and under)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 23 2007, 9:36 pm
the youngest ive used is a 10th grader. Fortunately in Lakewood there is a babysitting course which the kids take to learn what to do in case of emergency while babysitting!

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 23 2007, 10:12 pm
My 13 year old for 5 different families, one weekly, all with at least 3 children.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:04 pm
under 13 in NY is illegal, but if I feel comfortable with a 13 year old (like my sis) I would do it. if I dont know the kid, she's got to be at least 15-16...but it really depends on how responsible she is and how much experience she's got.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:08 pm
ability is dependant on the kid and their personality - not necessarily age ... my now 13 year old has been babysitting for years ... and is quite capable ... more so than some older teens ...

gigi

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:35 pm
well where I live you can have a 12 yr old........ or .........
a 12 yr old. that's it. unless you want to hire younger than that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics