Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What actually is the difference between PANDAS and ASD?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Very simple. AFAIK PANDAS is a complication of untreated strep and subsides (sometimes slowly) when the child receives antibiotics.

Autism is a genetic congenital disorder that does not disappear suddenly just because you gave antibiotics.
Lots of parents of kids on the spectrum can point to a certain specific point in their child's development when they had a very noticeable regression into autism, hence "regressive autism", which is what most kids on the spectrum are diagnosed with. So no, autism isn't congenital for the most part. A very minute fraction of asd cases are truly genetic/congenital.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Lots of parents of kids on the spectrum can point to a certain specific point in their child's development when they had a very noticeable regression into autism, hence "regressive autism", which is what most kids on the spectrum are diagnosed with. So no, autism isn't congenital for the most part. A very minute fraction of asd cases are truly genetic/congenital.

It is congenital, usually. But symptoms take time to appear.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/au.....ncy#1

Also, most kids have gradual onset autism. True regressive autism is a relative rarity.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9854/

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
It's common for pandas kids to have gut issues, yes. Some will argue it all begins in the gut! What kinds of OT exercises is he doing? Are they strenuous for him?

No not strenuous at all. Many times his therapist does the exercises for him. She will move legs, shoulder etc to release tension in different places. During exercises he’s relaxed, but afterwards is a different story... I always felt like she stimulates something in him to make him act out so crazy.. now I’m thinking maybe it aggravates his inflammation. I guess anything’s possible. Beginning to see many things from a different light.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 8:33 pm
When I give Motrin do I wake up my dc at night or can I skip that dose?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
No not strenuous at all. Many times his therapist does the exercises for him. She will move legs, shoulder etc to release tension in different places. During exercises he’s relaxed, but afterwards is a different story... I always felt like she stimulates something in him to make him act out so crazy.. now I’m thinking maybe it aggravates his inflammation. I guess anything’s possible. Beginning to see many things from a different light.
Very interesting. Your gut is telling you something. Keep digging. There's a connection somewhere.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:07 am
When I give Motrin do I wake up my dc at night or can I skip that dose?
Try to give right before bed and right in the morning

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:25 pm
OP Did you find the answer to your question?

Thank you for asking.

To be honest, I now feel more confused than ever. My son has autism and I would do anything to make to violent temper tantrums go away. I was hoping that some of the advice given about PANDAS might be helpful. It sounds like you would really need an expert to guide you what to do. I don't think there are any PANDAS doctors where I live. On the other hand the other aspects of autism (the quirkiness and so on) I feel are his ESSENCE, and not caused by anything external.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for asking.

To be honest, I now feel more confused than ever. My son has autism and I would do anything to make to violent temper tantrums go away. I was hoping that some of the advice given about PANDAS might be helpful. It sounds like you would really need an expert to guide you what to do. I don't think there are any PANDAS doctors where I live. On the other hand the other aspects of autism (the quirkiness and so on) I feel are his ESSENCE, and not caused by anything external.

Where are you located?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for asking.

I'm sorry you're more confused. I felt exactly like you when we started our journey. We are 5 years in and so much more clarity. Far from the finish line, but a pretty good idea of the work that needs to be done and how to get it done. I wish I was in a capacity to guide you better. It's not impossible to do this without an expert but you really need to apply yourself and become the expert lol. If I were you, I would start hanging around the pandas boards on fb and reading everything you could get your hands on. You'll see, things will start making sense. You are already on the right track with your willingness to explore outside the box. If you're ready to take the plunge and start, gluten free dairy free diet is a great place, kids will any sort of neuro immune issues will benefit from this... So many asd/pandas parents report incredible results with this diet. It's hard and overwhelming but usually worth it. It's also the first thing any functional md you go to will tell you. And here I am, telling it to you for free lol. If you can get your pedi on board, can you have them draw titers for strep and some other infections so you know what you are dealing with?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for asking.

I can really relate to what you described.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:32 pm
This was just published and I thought some of you may be interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....-EhEU

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:43 pm
Reviving this thread. So much good information. If doing diet, how long until you see improvement? And if trying ibuprofen, how long until you see improvement? (Just started working with a functional dr but curious for people's experiences)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:05 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Reviving this thread. So much good information. If doing diet, how long until you see improvement? And if trying ibuprofen, how long until you see improvement? (Just started working with a functional dr but curious for people's experiences)
my unprofessional opinion, give diet at least 3 months, ibuprophen you should see results within 3 days, usually less. Ibuprophen is not a root cause treatment, it would just temporarily take down inflammation until you could address the cause of said inflammation.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:27 pm
Just came across this paper on physical conditions comorbid with asd. It’s a wealth of information. Every kid with a ds of asd should be screened and potentially worked up for these issues. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....hXqHA
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics