Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
This really irks me!

UQT

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:57 pm
I hate how stores are so impossible with returning gifts. If I get something that I have no use for and want to return please don’t throw a book full of fine print at me. Why can’t I give the store credit to a friend to use? Why do you have shelves of stuff that cant be bought with store credit? Why can’t I buy sale items? My friend gave you $75 to buy something for me - she did not donate the money to your store in my honor. Also if you basically sell most items for over $150 don’t let people buy the one item That you carry for $50 as a gift and tell me to add $100 so I can get something. I don’t want to spend $100 bec someone bought me a gift. Rant over.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:01 pm
UQT wrote:
I hate how stores are so impossible with returning gifts. If I get something that I have no use for and want to return please don’t throw a book full of fine print at me. Why can’t I give the store credit to a friend to use? Why do you have shelves of stuff that cant be bought with store credit? Why can’t I buy sale items? My friend gave you $75 to buy something for me - she did not donate the money to your store in my honor. Also if you basically sell most items for over $150 don’t let people buy the one item That you carry for $50 as a gift and tell me to add $100 so I can get something. I don’t want to spend $100 bec someone bought me a gift. Rant over.

Most stores let return non sale gift items with a gift receipt. Bh I've always had good experience with returning or exchanging gifts with a receipt.
You can't expect stores to take back an item without a receipt or items bought on sale. Stores are allowed to have any policy they wish.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:01 pm
What bothers me is when I get yet another cake dish or set of dip dishes for mishloach manos but they store won't take it back because there was "food" in it. Keep the food well wrapped, send me a gift certificate.

I hate to sound ungrateful but do you realize how many sets of dip dishes I have? This year I got two salad bowls and another large low bowl that I guess can also be for salad. That's not so bad because salad bowls break so you can always use more : )

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:03 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What bothers me is when I get yet another cake dish or set of dip dishes for mishloach manos but they store won't take it back because there was "food" in it. Keep the food well wrapped, send me a gift certificate.

I hate to sound ungrateful but do you realize how many sets of dip dishes I have? This year I got two salad bowls and another large low bowl that I guess can also be for salad. That's not so bad because salad bowls break so you can always use more : )

It's not the stores problem that you have too many salad bowls. Why should they take back something that had food in it??? Who would buy it?

UQT

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:11 pm
I returned it the next day. They remembered selling it! The item wasn’t bought on sale but since $75 is worthless in their store I wanTed to Buy a sale items, but they wouldn’t let

Last edited by UQT on Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

UQT

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
It's not the stores problem that you have too many salad bowls. Why should they take back something that had food in it??? Who would buy it?

When they assure buyers it’s exchangeable the person is buying it assuming you can get what you want but essentially the money is worthless.
The ironic part is the food is usually put in by the gift stores themselves and then they don’t take it back.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:15 pm
UQT wrote:
I returned it the next day. They remembered selling it! The item wasn’t bought on sale but since $75 is worthless in their store I wanTed to Buy a sale items, but they wouldn’t let

Did you have a receipt?

dankbar

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:19 am
Stores do that because when they are running a sale they want new instant cash to be able to pay for new merchandise. Something thay they got the money for already, it wouldn't be in their interest to give you an item for cheaper, just because. They are giving items for cheaper, to drive more sales

sky

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:29 am
And newborn clothing that has to be exchanged within 3 days.
I had a c section. My baby weighed 11 lbs
I got beautiful stretchies that were size newborn - like max 9 lbs.
they had to be returned within 3 days. And exchanged on the spot. No credit.
How?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:13 am
This is why I don't shop in frum stores.
Lord and Taylor
Costco
Bed Bath and Beyond
They don't have these problems.

juggling

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:41 am
Sorry, I feel like the replies here sound very entitled. Someone got you something you don't need? It's the thought that counts! Re-gift it or, if you'd rather, donate to a tzedaka. If you can't use it you can feel good that someone else is enjoying it, and it wasn't a waste. When buying a gift, if it's important to you that the person you're buying for get something they can use, give either a giftcard or, even better, cash. Or get them something you think they'd like, knowing that if they can't use it they'll still appreciate the thought.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:03 am
UQT wrote:

I'm with you until the bolded- you don't want the store to sell people their cheaper items in the event the recipient will want to exchange it and won't like similarly priced items? I don't think that's reasonable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics