Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools moving to distance learning during closures?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:05 pm
polka dots wrote:
I feel like this could be taken out of context so I wanna add on to this.

They said that if there were no cases in that school classes should continue as the world needs the zechusim now so badly.

Every school should take all precautions that they could. Wash hands properly...

People with compromised immune systems should not be attending.

The way I read their statement, they think yeshivas and day schools should follow the public schools, I.e. they don't need to close where public schools are staying open. I don't think they're telling Jewish schools to disregard local authorities or to stay open when public schools have closed.

Quote:
The general consensus among health officials at this time appears to be that schools may remain open, as evidenced by the fact that most local health authorities have not at this point ordered the wholesale closing of schools, neither public schools nor private schools. We do not think that yeshivos and day schools need to hold themselves to a different standard than that determined appropriate for neighboring public or private schools.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:08 pm
My kids’ school is closed and moved to online learning.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:07 pm
Just saying that as a teacher I’m not sure how I would feel needing to give classes from home and my students should somehow have access to watch it.

I’ll be stuck at home with my kids. I think it would be too hard for me. I wonder if the school makes such a policy, if I’ll have a choice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:15 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Cincinnati Hebrew Day School is closing as per Ohio's recommendations.

Pretty sure they're staggering learning times to help facilitate families with more than 1 student to participate. Phone in option for no internet. Worksheets/handouts as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Cincinnati Hebrew Day School is closing as per Ohio's recommendations.

Hello! I'm in Cincinnati too, with kids at Ohr Torah, which is also closing. Plans are being made for remote learning in the meantime, but don't know the details yet.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:20 pm
hi neighbor. Too funny. didn't dawn on me that op would be a fellow cincinnatian Smile

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Just saying that as a teacher I’m not sure how I would feel needing to give classes from home and my students should somehow have access to watch it.

I’ll be stuck at home with my kids. I think it would be too hard for me. I wonder if the school makes such a policy, if I’ll have a choice.

Your school would train you on what to do. Would you rather a student bring it to school and you bring it home? Then you'd be home anyways. If you aren't in a school where kids are expected to have internet, you'd probably do phone conferencing. Even if you teach it will be reduced hours for younger grades. You basically would be working from home. And getting your full paycheck.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Your school would train you on what to do. Would you rather a student bring it to school and you bring it home? Then you'd be home anyways. If you aren't in a school where kids are expected to have internet, you'd probably do phone conferencing. Even if you teach it will be reduced hours for younger grades. You basically would be working from home. And getting your full paycheck.

Would I rather go to school and get sick? No.

But being home with little kids and not being able to send them to a babysitter is not the best setup to preparing lessons and teaching. Obviously if I don’t have a choice I’ll do what I need to, but it definitely wouldn’t be something I would choose to do.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:29 pm

We've been given modified schedules with just a few hours to teach a day and the option of pre-recording videos or assigning work instead.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We've been given modified schedules with just a few hours to teach a day and the option of pre-recording videos or assigning work instead.

That sounds fair.

Also I wonder if we can get every 3rd grade teacher to prepare one subject and all kids can listen to it. So if I do math and another teacher does history.. it’ll make life easier.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:56 pm
Many Modern Orthodox schools have already officially closed and will start distance learning next week. We will be doing a combination of “live” classes on Zoom and assignments on Google Classroom (which we already use, anyway). This is all possible because everyone has internet at home and a school-issued Chromebook (and most students have personal laptops at home as well). I don’t know what Bais Yaakovs are going to do, considering their no internet policies.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:19 pm
That sounds fair.

Also I wonder if we can get every 3rd grade teacher to prepare one subject and all kids can listen to it. So if I do math and another teacher does history.. it’ll make life easier.

I’m departmental so instead of teaching each class to 2-4 sections I’m doing each class one time for everyone- cuts down on the work majorly.

Definitely worth asking your teammates to split the work. It’s good for everyone.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 10:25 pm
ah the joys of homeschooling- cuz that is what it will turn into. There are so many phenomenal resources out their that homeschooling parents have been using for a looong time.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:56 am
the difference between this and homeschooling is that homeschooling usually includes getting together with friends, going to museums, the library.... most homeschoolers aren't litterally just sitting at home all day with their kids, it's unclear what exactly is to be expected here.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:19 am
I think this crisis is definitely illustrating that internet can be used for good. I’m wondering if it will cause a shift in the way it’s viewed in some communities.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics