Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Will Pesach food be triple the cost this year ?

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:04 am
My local grocery was telling people to stock up now because who knows what will be in a few weeks .. total insanity - I don't have an area to put Pesach food yet. Any suggestions? Are people really starting to buy for pesach?

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:17 am
Many are doing everything early that they can.

We can each do what we can without buying into hysteria R"L.

Ultimately it will be good. Hashem Promised.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:53 am
I live in Israel, here the government keeps a stockpile of food for the entire country for an entire month (this time of year kosher for Pesach). So I’m not worried we will literally be out of food. But I’m sure choices will be limited and it might be a hassle to get it. I made a grocery order for next week and included 4 bottles of grape juice because that is required for Seder and I don’t want to go without and I don’t know what’s going to be by the time Pesach comes around.
The matzah factories here keep reassuring everyone that there will be no shortage of matzah and nothing else is really really crucial.

DrMom

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:02 am
There's usually tons of extra matzah each year (at least here in E"Y).

Most people buy far more than what they need for Pesach.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:41 am
I expect a shortage of fresh mehadrin chicken and meat in Israel. The kollelim are exempt from the closure orders and are continuing to operate. That means more sickness in the charedi circles, less shochtim available to work, and so a shortage.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:31 am
Just think what would be if this was happening during a shmitta year!

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 8:33 am
It's smart to start buying some non perishables and keep it in closed boxes in a clean part of your home. Not overbuying hysterically so there's nothing left for other's.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:10 am
I heard all food for pesach is in America so there shouldn’t be shortages.
But I can see ppl freaking out and buying insane amounts and there not being enough.

Where I live (lkewood( we have enough competition that I don’t think prices will be higher.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I heard all food for pesach is in America so there shouldn’t be shortages.
But I can see ppl freaking out and buying insane amounts and there not being enough.

Where I live (lkewood( we have enough competition that I don’t think prices will be higher.

But if so many families that usually go away are staying home, don't you think there might be a shortage?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
But if so many families that usually go away are staying home, don't you think there might be a shortage?

You don't think the stores are excited about there being more customers this year, do you think they're not preparing for more customers so that they could make more money?

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:27 am
I cleaned out my freezer and bought some chicken (they didn’t have a lot)
And 4 VERY expensive roasts ($15/lb)
Chicken was regular price
The roast also, but I don’t usually buy such expensive cuts

If there is a shortage, Will there be EGGS, VEGGIES, FRUIT?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

The food the hotels would have purchased from distributors would then be available.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You don't think the stores are excited about there being more customers this year, do you think they're not preparing for more customers so that they could make more money?

The stores aren't preparing the items! They can only get as much as the companies produced and production was months ago based on how much they produce every year.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:36 am
Perhaps, and this is only an idea
We should all start checking rice from now
I know it’s kitniyot, but if things get bad the rabbis will probably allow to eat kitniyot

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:48 am
Stop feeding the panic there will be food.
Unless ppl buy triple the potato starch an sugar just in case. That will make their pesach expenses triple.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics