Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Did you ask your OB abt coronvirus?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 9:34 am
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to speak to their OB abt the virus? What advice or support did they provide.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:53 pm
Yes, I spoke to my OB yesterday.
He said there are constant medical conferences as the situation is rapidly evolving. So far, nobody with confirmed coronavirus has delivered a baby yet.

As of now, it doesn't seem that the coronavirus crosses the placenta or breastmilk. The concern for nursing while infected seems to be breathing onto the baby, and the concern for pregnancy would be if the mother gets sick and the illness ravages the body, and affects the baby that way. When the N1H1 flu first came out, some mothers got very sick and their babies stopped growing so they had to deliver early. The N1H1 flu wasn't crossing the placenta, but a very ill mother was a concern.

If someone feels they might have the coronavirus, they should go to the hospital for testing and monitoring.

If a woman in quarantine is ready to give birth, some hospitals have a quarantined L&D room.

The hospital I use is regulating only 1 support person in the L&D ward over age 17 (exception if thr father is under 17).

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:02 pm
In terms of precautions, he said I should adhere to the guidelines the community is putting out, including social distancing, good hygiene and avoiding any social events that I don't absolutely need to go to.

I have a cousin getting married Sunday, and I was so looking forward to going, but now I can't Sad

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to speak to their OB abt the virus? What advice or support did they provide.

My doctot said just regular hygiene stuff and don't stand too close to people. He said not to worry about it too much.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
He said there are constant medical conferences as the situation is rapidly evolving. So far, nobody with confirmed coronavirus has delivered a baby yet.

That isn't true. e.g. http://tp.amegroups.com/articl.....28274
https://www.thelancet.com/jour.....-6736(20)30360-3/fulltext
https://www.preprints.org/manu.....73/v1

However, the information is limited, studies are limited to very small sample sizes, and there certainly is inadequate information about the effects of coronavirus earlier in pregnancy (first and second trimesters).

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 1:23 pm
In terms of precautions, he said I should adhere to the guidelines the community is putting out, including social distancing, good hygiene and avoiding any social events that I don't absolutely need to go to.

I have a cousin getting married Sunday, and I was so looking forward to going, but now I can't Sad

Are you really not gonna go to the wedding? I'm in my 2nd trimester and have a close wedding Sunday too. I'll just wash more, won't touch my face and not get too close.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 2:21 pm
Neither my RE, my OB or my MFM are particularly concerned

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:02 pm
goodmorning wrote:

However, the information is limited, studies are limited to very small sample sizes, and there certainly is inadequate information about the effects of coronavirus earlier in pregnancy (first and second trimesters).

Thank you for sharing this!! Now I feel validated for not going to the wedding.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:31 pm

As of now, it doesn't seem that the coronavirus crosses the placenta or breastmilk. The concern for nursing while infected seems to be breathing onto the baby, and the concern for pregnancy would be if the mother gets sick and the illness ravages the body, and affects the baby that way. When the N1H1 flu first came out, some mothers got very sick and their babies stopped growing so they had to deliver early. The N1H1 flu wasn't crossing the placenta, but a very ill mother was a concern.

If someone feels they might have the coronavirus, they should go to the hospital for testing and monitoring.

If a woman in quarantine is ready to give birth, some hospitals have a quarantined L&D room.

The hospital I use is regulating only 1 support person in the L&D ward over age 17 (exception if thr father is under 17).

I read early on someone with the virus had a baby. The virus did not transfer to the baby.
But some babies got it soon after birth (they successfully fought it on their own and recovered)

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 4:38 pm
I have an appointment with my ob this coming week. I guess I’ll find out then about if there are any extra precautions I should take

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I have an appointment with my ob this coming week. I guess I’ll find out then about if there are any extra precautions I should take

Same! but Im on third trimester, not first

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:51 pm
My midwife said just take the basic precautions.... no specific research re pregnancy. Basically follow cdc guidelines (and local guidelines specific to your area)

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:09 pm
My ob is not concerned. But that was on Monday when I went to him. A lot could ave changed since then.
I heard from another doctor that we dont have information of how this virus would affect an unborn child.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Same! but Im on third trimester, not first

I’m in my second...

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Are you really not gonna go to the wedding? I'm in my 2nd trimester and have a close wedding Sunday too. I'll just wash more, won't touch my face and not get too close.

This is my post. Man plans, God laughs. I just came down with a low fever and cough. My ob advised not going out for my own benefit since my immune system is low.
I will not be going to this wedding.
She said I do not need to worry that I have the virus. Says it just sounds like a cold. Rest up and hydrate. She told me to only be concerned if my temp goes above 102.
If it goes up I should call her and not go to the hospital since the chances of someone actually having the virus is much higher there.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
This is my post. Man plans, God laughs. I just came down with a low fever and cough. My ob advised not going out for my own benefit since my immune system is low.
I will not be going to this wedding.
She said I do not need to worry that I have the virus. Says it just sounds like a cold. Rest up and hydrate. She told me to only be concerned if my temp goes above 102.
If it goes up I should call her and not go to the hospital since the chances of someone actually having the virus is much higher there.

Oh no! Refuah sheleima! I'm sorry to hear.
I'm also really disappointed not to be able to go.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:13 pm
goodmorning wrote:

Just want to add.. this study was done when the moms had the virus by delivery. There is still no pregnant woman who got it during pregnancy, recovered and then gave birth so we have very limited info.

shanarishona

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:15 pm
There’s a woman in england who had it, delivered, and the baby has it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics