Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Library?
Previous  1  2

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:23 pm
Why is a shul or beis medrash better...

Should I tell my husband to only his own siddur and his own seforim..
How far do we take this ....

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 5:39 pm
The library's closure diminishes quality of life tremendously.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:02 pm
Montgomery County (I live in Silver Spring MD, where schools and shuls are completely closed for the next two weeks) is closing its libraries for as long as the public schools are closed.

BH for podcasts/downloadable audiobooks. I would rather my kids color while listening to a book than stare at a screen for the same amount of hours that I spent reading paper books as a kid...

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:27 pm
I bought a few books online and subscribed to some kids magazines. Will keep them only for shabbos. During the week they can do audio/video and other entertainment and hands on crafts.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
The library's closure diminishes quality of life tremendously.

Closure of the library is pretty minor compared to closing the entire school system. They just announced all public schools in LA are closed and I would imagine all private schools will be closed on Monday if they already aren't

NY is the only major school system that hasn't announced closing and that's solely because of the kind of social support system the schools provide needy kids. A large percentage of the kids are homeless - a huge number rely on the free breakfast and lunch programs and disproportionately the poorer children they serve don't have internet for on-line.

Not to mention that poor and working class families are those with jobs that are least likely to be able to be done remotely.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
Closure of the library is pretty minor compared to closing the entire school system.

The impact of one has a lot to do with the other.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 6:41 pm
No way! They are closing which is the right thing to do in this pandemic. Way too many germs people take them into bathrooms kids are typically not hygienic etc

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 7:02 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why is a shul or beis medrash better...

Should I tell my husband to only his own siddur and his own seforim..
How far do we take this ....

Yes, anyone who has his own siddur and the seforim he needs should most definitely make use of those. That's pretty basic.

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 1:50 pm
Our library instituted that only one person per family go into the library and they put hand sanitizer outside the door to be used before entering

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
Closure of the library is pretty minor compared to closing the entire school system. .

It is minor compared to people who are out of work.
But if I still had little kids, I hope I would have been able to get to the library (multiple libraries) to stock up on time. I really daven for everyone's menuchas hanefesh during this ordeal.

Amarante

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 11:14 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It is minor compared to people who are out of work.
But if I still had little kids, I hope I would have been able to get to the library (multiple libraries) to stock up on time. I really daven for everyone's menuchas hanefesh during this ordeal.

Create a lending library with your friends. Most people I know have a lot of children's books.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 11:27 pm
Return all the books to the library asap! Not worth it and other ways will be found.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 11:28 pm
You can check out e-books through the library.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Return all the books to the library asap! Not worth it and other ways will be found.

How will returning books now help?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:48 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
You can check out e-books through the library.

You could, back when the physical library balanced out the demand so that there were enough e-books to go around.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I got an email from a local library saying that they aren't accepting returns during the closing and cannot be responsible for any books returned, to them or other member libraries.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics