Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Urgent cares in Brooklyn are testing for Covid 19

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 2:39 am
Just FYI
I had to go to the urgent care tonight to follow up about something (not about the virus).
As soon as I came in I saw swarms of people all with masks and gloves and all staff were wearing gowns too.
Staff said they are testing for coronavirus.
I actually wanted to leave and go to a different urgent care that does not test for the coronavirus so as not to expose myself to people who may have it.
But when I called other urgent cares they all said they are testing for it.
I stayed outside to wait to be called in while I kept checking back every 20 minutes to see if they were calling me.
I stayed far away from everyone so I am not worried. When they called me into the room staff were very careful with hand washing and other precautions.
They asked me if I want to be tested for coronavirus anyways even without symptoms since I am there already. I said yes.
They said testing takes about 5 - 7 days for thr results to come back and if I develop any fever or other respiratory symptoms or become exposed to anyone who does I must stay home as does everyone who lives with me while awaiting testing results.
I decided to actually anyways home quarantine with my whole family after the horror I saw at the urgent care.
There must have been about 40 people coming to be tested there all with cough and fever.
I waited 3 hours until I finally saw a doctor.
This in one of the less popular Brooklyn Urgent cares that is usually fairly quiet.
They said everyone with any symptoms of the virus must put on a mask before being allowed in the waiting room.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 3:01 am
Which urgent care is this?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 3:16 am
So they’re not doing the rapid testing? Was it a nasal swab?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:20 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
So they’re not doing the rapid testing? Was it a nasal swab?

No rapid testing.
Yes it was a nasal swab very deep in the nose.
I would rather not disclose which urgent care, but like I said seems like many urgent cares are testing now.
I don't think a rapid test for covid 19 exists.
They officially discovered/developed one that takes many hours (maybe 12 hours) instead of days?
I don't remember the details about that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:38 am
I work for an urgent care. There us no test that can be done outside a hospital that we know of. If you know of a test, I would like to know so I can get a hold of them.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:40 am
As of Friday hospital in nj were almost out of stock and barely testing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:41 am
Asisa said they were testing. Perhaps call and ask them for info on how to get tests.
That was not the urgent care I went to but like I said it seems there are quite a few who are testing.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:44 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I work for an urgent care. There us no test that can be done outside a hospital that we know of. If you know of a test, I would like to know so I can get a hold of them.

Northwell sent out an email last Tuesday that they are testing at all their centers.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:33 am
My friend has a fever . They tested her for flu and it came back negative. No one tested her for corona. All they said was to wear a mask so not to spread whatever she has. Isn’t that crazy? This was now motzei shabbos. I don’t get it.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:40 am
My SIL is a PA in an urgent care in NY and she told me they received test kits a week ago already. I have no idea which urgent care this is and no idea if they ran out, but urgent cares are definitely able to test.

The results need to be sent out to a lab, they are not instant, maybe that is the misconception of people thinking only hospitals are doing testing

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 9:20 am
Can anyone tell me if the urgent care on 60th st and bay Pkwy have the tests yet? I know someone who "said they were tested there last night" but if people are saying they don't have the test..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the urgent care on 60th st and bay Pkwy have the tests yet? I know someone who "said they were tested there last night" but if people are saying they don't have the test..

Last night when I called they said they have tests. As far as I know they open later in the day (maybe 11:00 am?).
No idea if they still have tests now.
Good luck.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Last night when I called they said they have tests. As far as I know they open later in the day (maybe 11:00 am?).
No idea if they still have tests now.
Good luck.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics