Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Out of Towners coming across US border for pesach ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 6:56 pm
I live in Canada.
Is it realistic to assume that my kids can’t come to me for Pesach?

I don’t want to be negative, as some family members are saying to me that we have 3 weeks still to see , but I need to be prepared - mentally and practically if I will have 6 people in my house or 12 people.

I can’t imagine the lakewood schools not following suit from New York, & soon necessitate closing up. Won’t they have to be in quarantine upon their return to New Jersey?

Thoughts??

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:11 pm
In Montreal, many Rabbanim published guidelines before shabbos requesting residents to refrain from traveling outside of QC (even within Canada) and to refrain from inviting guests from outside QC. We were planning to spend Yom Tov with my in-laws in NY. Many of my friends and family were planning to do the same. Everyone is preparing to stay put.

itsmeima

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:16 pm
I live in Canada. I'm really not happy about this but we're staying home.

We can't risk it!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:19 pm
My bil was going to come from Toronto to Lakewood. He just decided to stay home. We are hoping we can get him some matzah while ppl are still traveling.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:37 pm
I’m not asking about ME going there; I’m asking about the people from New Jersey coming here, to Canada, specifically Toronto.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:42 pm
It is becoming increasingly likely that Ottawa will close the land border at some point. As I posted above, Montreal Rabbanim have asked people not to invite OOT guests. I know many people who, like you, have invited their children from the US for Yom Tov. All are canceling or waiting until closer to Pesach to finalize their plans.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:44 pm
Such a challenging situation!

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Tough choices.

I would be that within a week the border will be closed. So if anyone really wants or needs to go the time is now.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 7:46 pm
I actually drove thru the border today, they did not ask anything or do anything extra.
I am making peace with the fact that I'm stuck on this side of the border for Pesach.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:02 pm
right - there should be screening at the border

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not asking about ME going there; I’m asking about the people from New Jersey coming here, to Canada, specifically Toronto.

If there will be a 2 week quarantine in Toronto I doubt ppl will travel. That is why ppl are canceling coming to USA. They don’t want to risk a 2 week quarantine on the way back.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:11 pm
I live in Lkwd and am supposed to be coming to toronto for pesach. We are seriously considering coming in the next 2-3 days (as soon as I can pesach clean quickly and pack up our stuff to leave.) My husband is working from 'home', (or wherever he is,) and I can't work while my kids aren't in school.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:23 pm
The question is also if you will be allowed back in when pesach is over. If the border is closed, you may not.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The current situation is if they come, they will be quarantined in Toronto.... and there is of course a risk they will be turned away at the border (border agents always have that discretion).

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:35 pm
Aside from that, if the U.S. closes their side of the border, they may not be allowed back in when pesach is over. You really don't know how long a border closing may last. Be prepared to be stuck in Canada beyond pesach, is my point. It is very possible.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 10:36 pm
I know of two people who were planning on going to Toronto and are not going. I don't know their exact reasoning (which way will be closed etc.) but because it changes so rapidly, they are planning to stay home.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 7:29 am
I was wondering about this even with interstate travel . If so many people in NY/NJ have it , by everyone going to their parents for Pesach won't it spread the virus to all of the out of town communities where it's not so bad yet ? I would think everyone should just stay put until we hear otherwise . ..

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Aside from that, if the U.S. closes their side of the border, they may not be allowed back in when pesach is over. You really don't know how long a border closing may last. Be prepared to be stuck in Canada beyond pesach, is my point. It is very possible.

Typically, even when a country closes its border, they only do so to foreigners. So if OPs children are US citizens, they should be able to get back into the US even if the borders are officially closed (obviously if they are not US citizens, and the question of whether they’ll be quarantined on their return, is a separate issue).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics