Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How do asymptomatic people spread SARS-CoV2?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:53 pm
If SARS-CoV2 spreads by droplets how do asymptomatic people pass it on to others?

chicco

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:55 pm
Don't they also occassionally sneeze/cough/spit?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 4:57 pm
same way everyone else spreads it. even talking produces small amounts of droplets. shaking hands. passing objects.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
same way everyone else spreads it. even talking produces small amounts of droplets. shaking hands. passing objects.

ok, I didn't realize how many droplets are emitted through talking. Just read this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....3952/

Guess that answers that question!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:07 pm
Next question - if it spreads in droplets why wouldn't it be helpful to wear a regular mask? Wouldn't that at least limit your exposure to the virus even if it wouldn't eliminate it? At the very least it would block you from touching your nose and mouth.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Next question - if it spreads in droplets why wouldn't it be helpful to wear a regular mask? Wouldn't that at least limit your exposure to the virus even if it wouldn't eliminate it? At the very least it would block you from touching your nose and mouth.

Masks aren't generally good for most people's health. We need fresh air. People who are immunocompromised are usually advised to wear masks when they are around other people.

Now, with people panicking about corona, some places are having shortages of masks for healthcare workers and vulnerable people because people are buying them up thinking it is a great idea for everyone. Meanwhile there's a stronger chance that you'll make yourself sick from germs breeding happily in the moist contained area between your mask and face.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 3:02 pm
seeker wrote:
Masks aren't generally good for most people's health. We need fresh air. People who are immunocompromised are usually advised to wear masks when they are around other people.

Now, with people panicking about corona, some places are having shortages of masks for healthcare workers and vulnerable people because people are buying them up thinking it is a great idea for everyone. Meanwhile there's a stronger chance that you'll make yourself sick from germs breeding happily in the moist contained area between your mask and face.

do you have a source for this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 3:29 pm
seeker wrote:

do you have a source for this?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 2:35 pm
It's Spring, and everything is blooming. Allergies seem to be worse this year.

When I first started sneezing and had a sore throat, I was sure it was due to pollen. It never even crossed my mind that it would be anything else - until I got a fever the next day and started coughing.

I'd been out running errands for a few days before the cough started, but definitely sneezing. Of course, I do my best not to sneeze on anyone or anything, but I definitely touched things like the button to tell the bus driver when to stop.

Corona was barely making the news three weeks ago, and was mainly contained in a small area of China. Why would I think that I would be endangering anyone?

THAT is how someone might spread Corona (or a common cold, or a seasonal flu, or a stomach bug, or even Pertussis.)

Google "Typhoid Mary."

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 8:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's Spring, and everything is blooming. Allergies seem to be worse this year.

When I first started sneezing and had a sore throat, I was sure it was due to pollen. It never even crossed my mind that it would be anything else - until I got a fever the next day and started coughing.

I'd been out running errands for a few days before the cough started, but definitely sneezing. Of course, I do my best not to sneeze on anyone or anything, but I definitely touched things like the button to tell the bus driver when to stop.

Corona was barely making the news three weeks ago, and was mainly contained in a small area of China. Why would I think that I would be endangering anyone?

THAT is how someone might spread Corona (or a common cold, or a seasonal flu, or a stomach bug, or even Pertussis.)

Google "Typhoid Mary."

How are you feeling now? Did you end up getting tested? I hope you are on the mend!

IrenaFr

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:04 pm
Of course masks help! All the Koreans were told to wear masks even inside, they gave them for free . And they stopped the virus. In China people were arrested when not wearing mask. In Japan almost everyone is wearing masks anyway. That’s how this can be stopped, not by washing hands ! This virus is staying in the air for 4 hours !!! Please read yourself medical information and studies, there are lot in Chinese press about masks . We are told to wash our hands only because we don’t have enough even for the doctors Sad
And yes, people have to be educated how to use the masks properly- it could be done. Please watch YouTube videos.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 9:32 pm
I'm inclined to think that the CDC discouraged masks because people are panic buying, and there are not enough left for the healthcare workers.
If a person is sick it can certainly protect others, and at this point where there is community spread, I do think it would be overall good for public health if people wore them outside their homes. You should also wear one if you're caring for someone who is sick. I was told a few years ago by my doctor to wear a mask while my son had flu and I was pregnant.
The N95 are a much better barrier, but you must also be taught how to wear it - so perhaps that shouldn't be the choice of the average person.

But there are no masks to be had, so the whole thing is moot in our part of the world.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I'm inclined to think that the CDC discouraged masks because people are panic buying, and there are not enough left for the healthcare workers.
If a person is sick it can certainly protect others, and at this point where there is community spread, I do think it would be overall good for public health if people wore them outside their homes. You should also wear one if you're caring for someone who is sick. I was told a few years ago by my doctor to wear a mask while my son had flu and I was pregnant.
The N95 are a much better barrier, but you must also be taught how to wear it - so perhaps that shouldn't be the choice of the average person.

But there are no masks to be had, so the whole thing is moot in our part of the world.

In Asia they are not wearing n95 masks, just regular surgical masks, so it would stand to reason that it would be helpful to just cover your face with a bandana or something similar when you go out. Obviously it wont' help if someone with COVID-19 coughs in your face, but it should at least limit the amount of exposure, right?

IrenaFr

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In Asia they are not wearing n95 masks, just regular surgical masks, so it would stand to reason that it would be helpful to just cover your face with a bandana or something similar when you go out. Obviously it wont' help if someone with COVID-19 coughs in your face, but it should at least limit the amount of exposure, right?

There are lot of research in Asia that even the simplest mask can give some protection, like 80% .

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 14 2020, 11:29 pm
IrenaFr wrote:
There are lot of research in Asia that even the simplest mask can give some protection, like 80% .

Source please?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 16 2020, 11:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, that would make sense.
We once had a crazy situation with a can that exploded in our cabinet. We were told by poison control to find something to cover our nose and mouth with in order to clean up the debris (due to concerns of botulism spores). I don't know how big the spores are compared with the virus, but it stands to reason that even having an undershirt around your mouth (as we did!), would be somewhat useful (we're talking about water droplets being the carriers of the virus).

The CDC has now adjusted their guidelines for healthcare workers, giving them advice on how to protect themselves when they don't have access to the N95 mask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics