Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Unbelievable, I have no words!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:27 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I doubt my IQ is as high as 125, but it's high enough to know that people with 125+ IQs are under 5% of the population. That's a pretty harsh limit you're trying to set, there.

(I'd also argue that plenty of dangerous garbage has come from the super-high-IQ set, historically speaking)

Well then, whatever your IQ is (you seem smart enough, from your posts, and I'm not sure you're right about your IQ), one point lower is my lower limit.

(Perhaps. But not the dangerous garbage I'm seeing being spread right now. And I agree that it is harsh, and I am not sure that if I were a biologist working on the coronavirus I would attempt to engineer this, because I am not sure it is ethical. However, as a layperson, I can imagine a world without idiots and vent my frustration by saying I wish coronavirus eliminated people who think they are smart but who cannot even understand how science works.)

(That said, I do hope that coronavirus eliminates smoking. Either by affecting only smokers (among those who are not already high-risk) or by encouraging/ forcing all smokers to quit. I don't care which one, I just want a smoke-free world.)

ora_43

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're all home.
I'm just frustrated that people that are supposedly at higher risk are not home. And I'm being called all sorts of terrible names for being frustrated.

So I do sympathize with this part of it.

The problem with your original post is that this isn't all you said. You basically made it sound like elderly people are not only the only ones who would suffer from the virus (not true) but also are the only ones transmitting the virus (which I'm sure you don't mean, but it was basically the only way of interpreting the whole "if they just stayed home for a month this would be over" thing).

But yeah, it's infuriating when so many people are sacrificing so, so much, and there's a handful of idiots willing to throw it all away because they can't be bothered to inconvenience themselves. Totally with you on that.

It's just important to realize that 1. the elderly in that group are only a small handful of the total elderly population, 2. the elderly in that group are also only a small handful in the 'selfish jerks' population - there are plenty of young people not taking this seriously.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If in Italy & Israel everyone is finding a way to manage, why can't it be the same in the US?
Yes, young people do get sick. But over 60 is at greater risk. How's the virus supposed to stop when people aren't taking necessary precautions?
Hatzola in Monsey is driving around with loudspeakers now urging people to use more caution. People are not taking it as seriously as we ought to be.

Okay.

First off, Israel only today (like, two hours ago) said to stay home as much as possible, but grocery stores are still open and people are still allowed to shop.
Italy, you have no real idea how people are managing and AFAIK people are still leaving home to shop, if they wish.

Secondly, you cannot compare the government's response in either Italy or Israel to the response in the US.

Thirdly, people over FIFTY are at greater risk. And the people with a 22% confirmed death rate are over EIGHTY.

Fourth, high blood pressure places you at greater risk even if you have no other symptoms. Have you had your blood pressure checked in the past year? Has your husband? Maybe you too are high risk and simply don't know it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:41 pm
OP, I do not like the tone of your posts one bit. If you are going to be so confrontational and combative towards other posters, at least have the courage to do it under your screen name.

Did you know that some grocery stores have set aside special hours for seniors? That could explain why they were out of the house.

My home health aid got cancelled because of the current situation. She has her own health and family to take care of, so the agency shut everything down for now. I used to depend on her to pick up my medication, get things for me from the store, and do some banking for me. She would also pick up packages for me from the post office. I don't have anyone else in my life who can do those things for me anymore.

Some grocery stores don't offer delivery, and some will only offer delivery if your order is around 1,000 shekels. I'm a single person, and don't ever buy that much in groceries in one trip. If I don't buy the minimum amount, there is an extra fee, and I can't afford that either. Not only that, but if I went to the store in person I'd have to take the bus there and back, which is not only potentially exposing me and everyone else to the virus, but it is extremely exhausting for me, and can wipe me out for days afterwards.

I hope you never understand what it is like to be an older person, chronically ill, and living below the poverty line. I truly hope that you never know what it's like to get sick, and wonder if it's allergies, a cold, the flu, or Corona. I hope you never have to wonder if you are sick enough to call emergency, when are you over reacting, and when it is too late for them to do anything for you.

It's a difficult decision to make, especially if you don't like being a big baby, or going to hospitals in general. OR, you could just stay at home and have your lungs collapse - it's not like your home caretaker will find your body for a few days or anything.

Not everyone has family, or family nearby. Not everyone lives "in town". Not everyone is young and healthy and has plenty of savings to fall back on.

Oh, your kids are annoying you? BOO FREAKIN' HOO! Get over yourself. Mad

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:42 pm
As a Service Coordinator, I have reached out to many organizations today to see what emergency services are in place for the elderly. And I'm not coming up with many solutions. (FTR my patients aren't Jewish, and the only positive response that I have gotten was actually from a Jewish organization that was happy to help.) People who need food and money to live on don't have a choice but to go out and do what they need to do. Oh, and Amazon Fresh and Peapod are overloaded and likely not taking any more orders for WEEKS! Yes, I have called Amazon customer service and begged, there's nothing to talk about. Some people can't rely on family so they are forced to go out, that's the reality of life, scary as it is.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 5:42 pm
Honestly, I think we've all said our piece. While we'd like to believe that what we're saying on this thread is changing people's minds, it appears that most of us are still holding on to our own opinions.

Can we all just agree to disagree? Idea
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics