Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Double standard

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:33 pm
On the one hand , everyone wants their bosses to pay them even though working remotely and doing less work (with more interruptions/kids around, etc. ). On the other hand , so many people are getting upset at schools, gyms , pesach hotels, anything with a membership for not refunding.
Is that the gold standard that the business owner always takes a loss on both ends ? Obviously this is unprecedented but I wonder what legal and halachic ramifications are .

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:57 pm
It should probably be included as a clause in a contract that in the case of a national emergency, no refund is given. If something in the gym or school malfunctioned and they were unable to meet their obligation, that would be one thing, but the government shut them down through no fault of their own.
Without such a clause, they could possibly be sued.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 8:59 pm
I expect my boss to continue paying me, and I am paying tuition and for my gym membership.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I expect my boss to continue paying me, and I am paying tuition and for my gym membership.

Its funny - as a customer I feel like I want to ask to pause my membership due to the financial hardships right now because my husband is paid hourly so not getting paid right now but then again as a teacher I am getting paid so I feel kind of hypocritical . I will email them and see what they say . I think different business are also different . For school we are still doing some sort of work and on an annual contract. For a gym , most of their running costs are water bills , salaries (which sounds like most of their employees are not getting paid), etc .so I don't feel like they have a right to keep my $60 a month . Tuition I can't really complain about because that is worked out within my salary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics