Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which foods are you buying in preparation for shutdown?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:32 pm
Which foods are you buying in preparation for shutdown. and where are you buying?

eduardo

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:37 pm
Cereal, tuna, rice, pasta, ice cream

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:37 pm
You can buy food during the shutdown.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:41 pm
I'm in Israel and they are saying that we will still be able to buy food so I have not panicking at all. I really don't want to stock up too much since it's almost Pesach. I'm sure I have enough food to last a week in any case.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:46 pm
DrMom wrote:
You can buy food during the shutdown.

If you cant leave your house?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:51 pm
Like the other Israeli poster, I haven't been panicking because we have ample supply of food and the only thing to change that is panic buying.

HOWEVER, we did stock up on pantry items. A few more bags of rice, some pasta, some tomato sauce. We got chicken and meat. Anything with a KLP was stashed in another room because if I don't use it we'll be able to use it on Pesach and have one less thing to buy. Same with chicken and meat that's already KLP.

My city has quite a few cases (including an entire neighborhood on lockdown) and my only concern is that we'll be part of it somehow.

Oh. And we stocked up on cat supplies in case the pet stores closed because I'm not dealing with a cat tantruming because he can't get his wet food. :p

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:54 pm
Can we please be logical for a minute?

Do you think the government is going to institute a shutdown where people will be unable to obtain food and will therefore die from starvation instead of coronavirus?

THINK, people, instead of panicking!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:55 pm
Cold cuts which is high in protein, I freeze and is Kosher for Pesach.
Yogurt which is high in protein, I freeze and is Kosher for Pesach.

Then I have beans, lentils, and split peas which allows me to make curries, chili, cholent, and soups so that gives us a variety of things to eat without becoming bored. You can add rice or pasta to these for a full meal.

I also have peanut butter and some canned food like tuna and sardines as well as some fresh fruits and veggies. That should last us for a while then I will buy food for Pesach like meats, chickens, and eggs so we will be fine.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:06 pm
I need to go to the makolet tomorrow, because it is the only place I can walk to for food. B'H I have some place close, because a lot of people don't. Still, I will be paying much higher than grocery store prices, but at least I won't have to take the bus.

I need coffee, sugar, yeast, hamburger, and sweet potatoes.

In the meantime, I'm digging around in my freezer to see what leftovers need to get eaten, and what ingredients I have to work with.

I'm also making a lot of curries and chili, and anything I can think of with the canned goods I have on hand. These are times that I'm grateful that I grew up in a frugal household, learned how to cook with a minimum of expensive ingredients, and how to stretch meals.

What is REALLY annoying me right now, is that I paid for a monthly bus pass on the 1st, and now I'm not using it! Money down the drain. Sad

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:10 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I need to go to the makolet tomorrow, because it is the only place I can walk to for food. B'H I have some place close, because a lot of people don't. Still, I will be paying much higher than grocery store prices, but at least I won't have to take the bus.

I need coffee, sugar, yeast, hamburger, and sweet potatoes.

In the meantime, I'm digging around in my freezer to see what leftovers need to get eaten, and what ingredients I have to work with.

I'm also making a lot of curries and chili, and anything I can think of with the canned goods I have on hand. These are times that I'm grateful that I grew up in a frugal household, learned how to cook with a minimum of expensive ingredients, and how to stretch meals.

What is REALLY annoying me right now, is that I paid for a monthly bus pass on the 1st, and now I'm not using it! Money down the drain. Sad

While I certainly feel your pain (and you can probably complain to MoT), it is definitely not money down the drain.

It is money that will help keep the economy afloat during this tough time. We are all in this together, and we'll only get through it by helping each other out.

I just ordered some stuff online and can only pray it arrives before the lockdown. I thought about asking for a refund if I can't receive my items, but I decided that as long as we can afford it, I'm not going to ask for a refund - the items may arrive, or I may need to spend again, or I may get them in three months (you may get your money's worth in three months, btw), but in the meantime it goes to support a local business that will desperately need that money to get through this tough period. So if I might need the funds to feed my family, I will ask for them back (provided the items don't arrive, of course). But if not, I will just be glad I was able to do a little bit to help keep everyone afloat, for everyone's sake. (The store isn't a supermarket - if it were, I would not be worried.)

Buses and trains are right now running halfway, or almost completely, empty. Gas still has to be paid, drivers still have to be paid, and chances are they are also paying someone to disinfect. The whole Ministry of Transportation is running at a loss right now - but still running, to serve those of us who need it (myself and yourself included). So any money we put into them is NOT a loss - it helps keep those services going. Even if it hurts our pocketbooks a bit.

And of course, chances are that if you ask them to give you your money's worth when things are up and running again, they will. You are far from the only one who purchased a monthly pass on the first, only to discover that it was an unnecessary purchase. Give them time. They will sort it out. In the meantime, the money is doing an important job.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:12 pm
I'm just buying all the normal non-perishable Pesach foods that I always buy this time of year anyway.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:13 pm
I did my shabbos shopping earlier this week then I normally do and I bought doubles of some items that I typically dont buy but thats it. If my city shuts down the grocery store will still be open and I refuse to stress out.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:55 pm
I tried to get as much pesach food and chicken-meat as I could.
lots of disposables.
also things like extra rice and tuna
I froze some milk
all medicines for the family.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 5:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which foods are you buying in preparation for shutdown. and where are you buying?

What shutdown? It’s a bad idea to get people hysterical. Even if they do have people stay in, everyone will be allowed out to buy essentials and for exercise and such.
This is what makes people hoard and keep other people from getting what they need!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Can we please be logical for a minute?

Do you think the government is going to institute a shutdown where people will be unable to obtain food and will therefore die from starvation instead of coronavirus?

THINK, people, instead of panicking!

Right and getting other people to panic. There’s so much irresponsible and false stuff going around on social media and it’s terrible to repost things that weren’t verified as true and get other people crazy

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 5:54 pm
My city is in shutdown and I bought cheese, flour, eggs, vegetables, fruits, peanut butter. We’re making our own bread, pancakes, soups, pizza. Tonight is lentil soup and pizza, yum! Everyone stay healthy out there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics