Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dd 15 yo is bored and watching movies

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:52 am
It’s terrible

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:36 am
Watching movies, or watching inappropriate movies?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:36 am
Most people are watching something now.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:02 pm
Quarantine or not, you are still the parent.

(For the record, I do let my children watch movies).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Quarantine or not, you are still the parent.

(For the record, I do let my children watch movies).

What are they doing the whole day?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Watching movies, or watching inappropriate movies?

I have tag on her computer but still I hope it’s good because they don’t really screen Netflix. I have controls on Netflix but maybe she will use another user. Idk. I looked at it and it looks like she watched appropriate movies. She is a good girl but I hate it. Till now it was very not usual to watch movies because she was do busy with school. Idk why Bais Yaakov doesn’t give more homework

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:14 pm
Can you encourage her to watch something educational?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:17 pm
We have a schedule - my teen son needs more on his list. But this is our start.

wake
make bed
daven
tehillim
Breakfast
Class conference
Clean room (7 minute)
Break with snack
Reading (30 minutes)
Out door ball or biking
Lunch
Learn with phone chavrusa
10 minute job from family chart
Break with snack
Game with siblings or outdoors
Math app (privilege Smile )
15-30 minutes pesach cleaning
Supper
Mincha
Privilege for following chart
(Need more activities in the evening)
Maariv
Bedtime (same as during year)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:20 pm
Netflix has fascinating documentaries. Ask her to write a one page report on each documentary she watches, and give her points towards something she desperately wants you to buy for her.

On YouTube, you can also search by "documentary" and select which subjects you want her to see. I personally love anything that has to do with undersea exploring.

What are her interests? If she has a special hobby, sport, or subject, she can do research on it. Again, a one page report can go towards her prize.

I wish someone would give me a reward for watching documentaries! I could probably buy a new car by now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Netflix has fascinating documentaries. Ask her to write a one page report on each documentary she watches, and give her points towards something she desperately wants you to buy for her.

On YouTube, you can also search by "documentary" and select which subjects you want her to see. I personally love anything that has to do with undersea exploring.

What are her interests? If she has a special hobby, sport, or subject, she can do research on it. Again, a one page report can go towards her prize.

I wish someone would give me a reward for watching documentaries! I could probably buy a new car by now.

I actually saw that she watched a meaningful movie about a teen struggling with cancer. But still idk. It scared me what will she do next.

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I made a simple schedule:
- Daven
- Breakfast
- Kodesh worksheets from their kodesh teachers
- Short break/snack
- Kids have conference calls with their rebbes
- While one kid is on the phone, other kids do more school work; math, english, social studies, whatever the teacher sent home.
- Lunch
- more kodesh worksheet if there is
- more chol work
- take a family walk

That takes us to 2:00 and then we call it a day. Kids go outside to play with the dogs, read, help with the chores I am doing.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually saw that she watched a meaningful movie about a teen struggling with cancer. But still idk. It scared me what will she do next.

Movies need to be watched in a common area, like the kitchen or living room. That alone will make you feel better.

A one page report will keep her accountable for what she is watching.

The points for the report will give her a sense of accomplishment, instead of feeling like she's sitting around wasting time. Feeling like you are actually doing something is extremely important right now.

The reports will also give you two something to talk about, and you can use it as bonding time to have some fascinating discussions.

She may even be able to bring the reports to school and get extra credit, who knows?

She's a good girl. You need to have faith in her.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:35 pm
I think Oorah is offering a lot of their videos for free right now = https://www.oorahauction.org/s.....n.php

You can also try Mostly Music - I haven't used them before for this, but I understand that they do video rentals = https://mostlymusic.com/collec.....nding

Does Netflix have some sort of parental settings? Most companies do, and that way you can at least block out the worst things. (I would think that you could also see a list of what's been watched in your account history).

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We are an internet/iPad/iPhone using school and community.
My DD 16 (only one teen home at this point) has Zoom class from 9:30-4:30. She has homework and projects which she needs to do. Has been helping me with Pesach prep (not really-whining about it more than actually doing), and I take her out driving (practice she has her permit) to get out of the house (but quarantined in the car). I have a backyard and make her go run laps in it, because she need to move. She FaceTimes/WhatsApps her friends-especially the non-school ones who are in different time zones and she typically has a harder time reaching. Her YBY counselors has been having chaburahs for the kids. She has participated in Zoom concerts, last night her school had a zoom talent show at 8:30 pm.
She is definitely watching Netflix/TV and movies, but not significantly more than before, and while I don't love that and never did, I am ok with it.

eduardo

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have tag on her computer but still I hope it’s good because they don’t really screen Netflix. I have controls on Netflix but maybe she will use another user. Idk. I looked at it and it looks like she watched appropriate movies. She is a good girl but I hate it. Till now it was very not usual to watch movies because she was do busy with school. Idk why Bais Yaakov doesn’t give more homework

If you don’t want her watching movies, why does she have Netflix?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:43 pm
eduardo wrote:

Netflix has some really excellent G rated programming. As long as the mom is aware of what DD is watching, it's not a problem, IMHO. They are also very good at labeling each show about the rating and content, whether it is violent, zexual, drug use, language, etc. It's really a very responsible and family-aware company.

If it's accessed without any parental oversight, of course it's really problematic. There is also some very racy R+ rated stuff there. That is why things need to be watched in an open, common area, so that no one is tempted to watch things that are inappropriate.

Besides, you just can't go wrong with nature documentaries. I mean, how bad can it be to learn about how microplastics are affecting the fishing industry?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 1:28 pm
eduardo wrote:

I just allowed it because she is bored out of her mind.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:16 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
I think Oorah is offering a lot of their videos for free right now = https://www.oorahauction.org/s.....n.php

You can also try Mostly Music - I haven't used them before for this, but I understand that they do video rentals = https://mostlymusic.com/collec.....nding

Does Netflix have some sort of parental settings? Most companies do, and that way you can at least block out the worst things. (I would think that you could also see a list of what's been watched in your account history).

I looked into the Mostly Music rental, and it's baffling. I think the one time rental is $20, and they have to ship it to you? And it needs approval? Something.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:22 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I looked into the Mostly Music rental, and it's baffling. I think the one time rental is $20, and they have to ship it to you? And it needs approval? Something.

Their rentals are digital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics