Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Finger food ideas

israelmama

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:03 pm
What are good finger foods for a baby? My baby doesn’t love purées and I’m trying to experiment with different foods

MiriFr

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:06 pm
Fish sticks
Pancakes
Meatballs
Rigatoni
Carefully cut up hot dogs
Bananas
Chicken nuggets
French fries
Roasted sweet potato

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:06 pm
Butternut squash chunks.
Bamba
Steamed apple slices
Bread with topping of your choice

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 12:15 pm
How many teeth does your baby have? DD got her first teeth in at 3 1/2 months. I know other babies who didn't get a single tooth until they were a year old. That makes a HUGE difference. The age of the baby makes a difference, too. Early on, food is for play and experimenting, with most of the nutrition still coming from BF or bottles. Later on as you transition, at about a year old, then you need to look at a more balanced diet.

Look into the mesh feeder bags. You can order them on Amazon. You can put any kind of soft food in there, and the baby can safely suck and chew on it without any risk of choking. The baby can get all the nutrition out of the food, and all the flavor, without worrying about the fibers. It's a great way to introduce a wide varieties of flavors. If you put some frozen strawberries in there, it's also really good for teething pain.

If your baby can bite things, then the list from the above poster is very good. DD absolutely loved sweet potato, and pretty much lived on it for at least a month before she got bored.

Here's some great advice my mom gave me: For older babies and toddlers, do not worry about what they eat in a day. Look at what they eat across the course of a week. If one day they only want string cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, do not panic! The next day they may want fruit, veggies, and oatmeal.

Only worry if you start to see a pattern of being picky, or only wanting to eat starch and sugar. When that happens, just cut back on the starch and sugar foods. Only offer them after a nice meal of healthier foods has been eaten, so they won't be tempted to fill up on cookies and french fries first, then have no room for broccoli.

israelmama

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:23 pm
Thank you so much! And FF- such great information! I’ll check out the feeder bags. Thanks. My baby doesn’t have teeth yet- she’s been teething for a while!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:55 pm
Avacado
Shredded cheese
French toast (cut into strips)
Sandwiches cut into strips on soft bread: cream cheese, chumus
Chicken
Rice
Steamed broccoli
Cooked zucchini in strips

Google baby led weaning for more ideas