Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
The Baby Whisperer Technique

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:52 am
Hi, is anyone here an expert?! I ordered the book and am waiting for it to come but im having such a hard time doing so. My six month old’s sleep keeps getting worse. He sleeps right next to me and is up every 1-3 hours crying until I nurse him back to sleep. I’m desperate to break this habit. I know some basics about the pick up-put down method but what else do I need to know? Do I feed him at night at all? Only a dream feed? Any help is appreciated!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:56 am
I'm not an expert anymore (been lots of years since I had babies) but it's a great book, good luck!

(only caveat I have about the book is its advice on nursing/bottle feeding... she's a little too quick to dismiss nursing in favor of formula, and says flat out it's impossible to only pump which is untrue.. but in terms of structuring feeding, yes, definitely agree with her)

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:16 am
I'm a big fan but here's what I would do - the disclaimer is that idk if you're starting from scratch. Like heres how I would troubleshoot for my kid
Only a dream feed, which he could anyways soon outgrow.
Stop nursing at night. Just don't offer it.
Give him pacifier and cuddle into your breast if you have to (this works for some, others need husband so they dont smell milk)
Once he calms down then you can put him back down (honestly I wouldn't start pick up put down at night)
Make sure hes eating enough in the day. You could prob introduce solids soon (I do baby led weaning)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:37 am
trixx wrote:
I'm a big fan but here's what I would do - the disclaimer is that idk if you're starting from scratch. Like heres how I would troubleshoot for my kid
Only a dream feed, which he could anyways soon outgrow.
Stop nursing at night. Just don't offer it.
Give him pacifier and cuddle into your breast if you have to (this works for some, others need husband so they dont smell milk)
Once he calms down then you can put him back down (honestly I wouldn't start pick up put down at night)
Make sure hes eating enough in the day. You could prob introduce solids soon (I do baby led weaning)

What do you mean by saying you wouldn’t start pick up put down at night? What would you do instead? Hold until he falls asleep? His problem is he gets so upset when I don’t nurse him he can’t calm down so then I’ll rock him etc and finally nurse (I know I need to not have that as an option which I hope to start tonight). I’m going to start solids this week hopefully.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I'm not an expert anymore (been lots of years since I had babies) but it's a great book, good luck!

(only caveat I have about the book is its advice on nursing/bottle feeding... she's a little too quick to dismiss nursing in favor of formula, and says flat out it's impossible to only pump which is untrue.. but in terms of structuring feeding, yes, definitely agree with her)

Thank you! I’m only nursing so I’ll ignore the part about the formula 😉

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:00 pm
Bump Wink

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you mean by saying you wouldn’t start pick up put down at night? What would you do instead? Hold until he falls asleep? His problem is he gets so upset when I don’t nurse him he can’t calm down so then I’ll rock him etc and finally nurse (I know I need to not have that as an option which I hope to start tonight). I’m going to start solids this week hopefully.

Pu/pd is for extending naps
At night time you want to look for habitual wake patterns and wake them up before. If he wakes at 8pm go 7:40, tickle/adjust him and put back to sleep.
I would offer pacifier. If you maks him upset send dh if possible.
Sorry I dont have book on me so just suggesting what I do based on my experience using it

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 9:03 pm
The best baby song I ever came across became the motto for my life. It's by Arthur and Friends.

It doesn't work on babies. But it certainly helps parents..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvyVQhIRFA

Or look up "Go to Sleep" Arthur and Friends.

Story of my life...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics