Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
ISO Granite floor tiles. What else makes an elegant entrance

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:03 pm
I called a few tile places and none have or can get granite floor tiles.

What are people using these days for an elegant front hall?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:18 pm
Granite floor tiles were never considered to be elegant. There is a reason they aren't available. At one time they were used for counters as a cheap alternative to a slab counter but because there is relatively inexpensive slabs of granite, this is no longer done.

In my experience, most people opt to run wood floors throughout their home including front entrance.

If that is not your taste and you want stone, marble is an option but is not considered to be as fashionable as wood since the "Mediterranean" look is no longer stylish.

But of course you should design your home to your own taste.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:26 pm
Look into porcelain tile.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Granite floor tiles were never considered to be elegant. There is a reason they aren't available. At one time they were used for counters as a cheap alternative to a slab counter but because there is relatively inexpensive slabs of granite, this is no longer done.

In my experience, most people opt to run wood floors throughout their home including front entrance.

If that is not your taste and you want stone, marble is an option but is not considered to be as fashionable as wood since the "Mediterranean" look is no longer stylish.

But of course you should design your home to your own taste.

Some of the wealthiest homes Ive been to over the years, have stunning granite tile floors sometimes with mosaic focal points or different borders. But none have been installed recently.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:39 am
Get some sort of marble look in your preferred colors. Larger tiles set diagonally look more elegant IMO. A glossy. Go to the store and view their collections. Research the durability of the various options. If it’s for the front entry, it will get a lot of wear and dampness.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 4:45 am
Yes, I disagree with the above poster that people are putting wood in foyers. Most houses I find DO have wood there, simply since it's how it was done. But most ppl I know doing construction now are ripping up the wood foyer and putting down either very large porcelain glossy tile or glossy porcelain mosaics. They are beautiful. Look at Instagram designers for ideas.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:25 am
Marble is luxurious and costly
Installation is also costly

There is marble that mimics wood grains, but you can tell it’s luxurious marble.

White marble is very luxurious

The thing with marble is that after its placed they polish the entire floor to be uniform
This can not be done with porcelain

I have light grey porcelain that mimics wood grain marble, super shiny. Tiles are 36x36
The entire house is done this way, not just the
I LOVE IT. The entire house is done this way not just the entrance way.
I live in Miami Beach, so I need a light and airy look. you can tell the difference between that and marble.
It’s like the difference between a cz and a diamond.

Porcelain that looks like wood and is set like wood is also very nice and a long lasting cheaper option. I have this on my balcony, in light grey.

May I ask, what is the flooring in the living room.
Personally I like the same flooring throughout.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics