Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Quarantine with a ADHD kid

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:17 pm
Give me your tips please . I can’t anymore .
It doesn’t matter how much time I sit with her and play with her it’s never enough for her
Doesn’t matter how much time I spend trying to be a good mother it’s still not enough
She demands too much energy ,too much time and too much patience .
I have two more kids at home and so far they are doing well . But with her... I’m losing it
I know it’s hard for all moms ,I know it’s challenging for all of us but those who are mothers of ADHD kids know what I’m talking about
Please help !!!
Ps- she is still not medicated

lilies

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:23 pm
Structure, structure, structure.

Mendymusic exercise video

bigsis144

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:36 pm
Unlimited screen time except for taking my kids out for a hike/bike ride for at least 90 minutes

🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Eta: I’m isolating, not quarantined

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:37 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Unlimited screen time except for taking my kids out for a hike/bike ride for at least 90 minutes

🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Ha hahah love this tip !

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:08 pm
Thank you!
Going crazy here too. My son is medicated but till the Medications kick in. As well as lack of structure. He is supposed to be doing work which his school sent home but that’s not happening
My DH and I are both trying to work from home as well so can’t sit there all day with him.
It’s been hard!!

Basically no advise. Just sympathy!

RuralIma

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:11 pm
Can she go play outside? There's no one outside on our street so I just sent my son to go ride his scooter for a bit.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:39 pm
How old is she? Does she have any interests she can (hyper)focus on?

In general - make sure she's eating and drinking, tire her out. Start the day with breakfast and then an exercise video, then a couple hours of medium-mental-energy activity (drawing, reading). Mid-morning - more physical activity, then a snack.

For stuff she can do alone - look for activities that will be hard enough to challenge her, but easy enough to be doable. Like, if she's in 3rd grade, maybe she could try making cookies on her own with a recipe you give her. Or make up a dance. If she's in pre-K, maybe she makes up a story and illustrates it.

Early afternoon might be a good time for educational videos and/or learning apps, if you allow that.

It's hard to say because kids with ADHD can be wildly different. But in general, structure + regular motion to work off excess physical energy + just enough challenge to be stimulating = happy(er) kid.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 4:01 am
I have a bunch of adhd kids (5 medicated now)
so we are having a lot of fun!
I tried to make a full schedule which includes music and dancing

and learning time for the boys and baking for all
it helps but it's still hard

flmommy

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 6:27 am
That was a sincere hug amother bisque. I’m home with three thankfully medicated ADD kids. It’s hard!!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:46 am
it's getting harder as my schedule is not like school and everyone is getting very bored.
and for some of my kids being bored is torture.

we bought gameboys now even though usually I am against them as they are a huge time waster
but now there seems to be too much time.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:58 am
For those of you getting services thru hamaspik Got a huge package filled with crafts, games, books, toys, dvds, cds etc. I’m assuming the other agencies will do the same very soon.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:00 am
Can you tell us more about her? Like age, interests, challenges? There are some Imas here with creative ideas. Maybe we can help you tailor an approach for her.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Thank you!
Going crazy here too. My son is medicated but till the Medications kick in. As well as lack of structure. He is supposed to be doing work which his school sent home but that’s not happening!

Oh my gosh!! The pre-medication kick in time...! Driving us all crazy! But now I’m realizing that this is something we need to take care of long term...

this morning I just gave my child the medicine and told him to stay in bed. So hopefully by the time he gets up he’ll be more in control. I’ll let you know how it goes... and then he’ll probably not want to eat breakfast cuz the no appetite side effect... sigh.

But in general, being home so much means he’s eating more and better food choices—so I’m hoping that he’ll gain some weight which is so important (Especially pre-puberty...)

Hugs and sending strength to you all!
You’re all super mothers in my book.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:01 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
For those of you getting services thru hamaspik Got a huge package filled with crafts, games, books, toys, dvds, cds etc. I’m assuming the other agencies will do the same very soon.

I really hope they do. My kids r gung crazy

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:21 am
My brother blew up a small bouncy house in his dining room for the kids to jump around in! Is that an option for you? Is there a way you can get one?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:10 am
bigsis144 wrote:

🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Omg thanks for this! I've been feeling so guilty that they are watching so much every day but I can't handle it. My child refuses to do schoolwork and it is impossibly difficult.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:53 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Omg thanks for this! I've been feeling so guilty that they are watching so much every day but I can't handle it. My child refuses to do schoolwork and it is impossibly difficult.

Same boat!! Two boys with adhd plus other kids in the house ... I keep saying I don’t know how people do it without technology. I made a deal with the ten year old that he can read for 20 min and then play on the tablet for 20 minutes. So that’s working out for him. He does it for hours. I have a seven year old who is not medicated - we haven’t found the right medication yet so that’s extremely challenging bec he also needs constant attention and strong structure and he picks fights With everyone because he’s bored. And of course can’t even focus on watching a show so technology not helping this one! He’s very artistic so he’s been coloring and drawing a lot. A lot of projects from amazing savings. I’m making a newspaper for the block so he’s been making the fun pages for that. And this morning he actually came up with the adorable idea of videoing himself making a picture on an easel as an instructional art activity and I sent it to family so their young kids can do it. He felt so good. Sending major hugs. I know what you are going thru. Try to focus on her interests and just do a lot of activities around that.

crust

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:11 am
ADHD or not most active kids are platzing at this point.

How big is your home? Can you have her move around on a moving thing like a scooter or a hoverboard?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:16 pm
Does your child with ADHD have a hard time falling asleep? My son usually asleep around 9 is up till 12 cuz he cant fall asleep, he tells me he doesnt know what to do as he cant be up but cant fall asleep
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)