Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
More concerned about economy than anything else ??

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 8:30 pm
I am hearing places where school is going to be closed until the end of the year . I understand the importance of social distancing BUT people need money to live on , buy food , etc .. what is your plan if you don't get back to work in April?
We have maybe $500-1000 saved for a rainy day which we have already used .
I guess my question is at what point do you just say my job is not coming back, I will start working for a grocery store (and come on contact with hundreds of people ) so I can afford to eat?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am hearing places where school is going to be closed until the end of the year . I understand the importance of social distancing BUT people need money to live on , buy food , etc .. what is your plan if you don't get back to work in April?
We have maybe $500-1000 saved for a rainy day which we have already used .
I guess my question is at what point do you just say my job is not coming back, I will start working for a grocery store (and come on contact with hundreds of people ) so I can afford to eat?

Go on unemployment. You can drive for Amazon. They are hiring.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 10:20 pm
I wish I had a good answer... but in my opinion frum life in America will change, because so many are in this boat. Our community has so little saved for a rainy day, there is so much debt, so many financial obligations, so many standards. And now we're worried about being able to feed our families in a world of sustained economic crisis (no this will not all be over in 2-3 months). On numerous forums we've discussed the kollel lifestyle and all it entails, including receiving support from parents and for many not being expected to earn a living. It seems the economic situation in the US could change this trend. Families might need to find more affordable places to live, to say nothing of the burden day school tuition is placing on the average American Jewish family. We as a community need to get our cost of living down to survive the coming times.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 10:23 pm
I agree. At some point you have to ask if the cure is worse than the disease. The economy is just going to keep tanking for as long as we keep things closed. I agree that the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions should quarantine. But the young and healthy should be allowed to keep working. If no one works, the whole system falls apart and that will do much more damage than this virus will ever do.
People need to realize that there is no stopping this virus and that there are only three options: you get it and are fine, you get it and get sick, or you get it and die. We just need to take the hit and move on IMO.

ora_43

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 11:21 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I agree. At some point you have to ask if the cure is worse than the disease. The economy is just going to keep tanking for as long as we keep things closed. I agree that the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions should quarantine. But the young and healthy should be allowed to keep working. If no one works, the whole system falls apart and that will do much more damage than this virus will ever do.
People need to realize that there is no stopping this virus and that there are only three options: you get it and are fine, you get it and get sick, or you get it and die. We just need to take the hit and move on IMO.

That was Britain's thinking. Maybe take a minute to go google how they're doing now.

You can either have businesses shutting down because the government made them, or businesses shutting down because the healthcare system is collapsing and people are dying left and right and everyone is terrified. Both are terrible for the economy, but the second is worse.

I'm also very concerned about the economic repercussions, which could potentially be more deadly than the virus itself (less so in 'first world' countries, but thinking on a global level - and even here, there will be deaths). But it's not realistic to say that just ignoring the whole 'incredibly contagious disease' thing would be a solution.

mig100

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 11:29 pm
ora_43 wrote:
That was Britain's thinking. Maybe take a minute to go google how they're doing now.

You can either have businesses shutting down because the government made them, or businesses shutting down because the healthcare system is collapsing and people are dying left and right and everyone is terrified. Both are terrible for the economy, but the second is worse.

I'm also very concerned about the economic repercussions, which could potentially be more deadly than the virus itself (less so in 'first world' countries, but thinking on a global level - and even here, there will be deaths). But it's not realistic to say that just ignoring the whole 'incredibly contagious disease' thing would be a solution.

That was China's approach..keep it a secret so economy doesnt suffer

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 11:29 pm
ora_43 wrote:

It’s so difficult not to let the anxiety creep in.
That being said for the immediate future they are discussing the corona virus financial relief bill which will hopefully come to good use for those among us who need it most.
I think for now, all we can really do it use our money wisely using good budgeting and cutting back.
As for the long term Economic affect-the train has already left the station. If we keep non essential businesses open we run the risk of having most of the population infected all at once thereby overwhelming the hospitals and essential businesses that the community needs to stay afloat.

ora_43

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 11:39 pm
One idea I've heard (which kids hate, but tough for them) is keeping school on over the summer, to help parents make up for lost work hours. In private schools this might happen if enough parents demand it.

I think it can't hurt to see if there's any job that's needed davka now during the crisis. Preferably something that doesn't involve being around masses of people. Eg making and delivering meals for families with two parents working from home, or tutoring kids online, or providing home health care for a single elderly person (assuming you have no reason to think you might be infected, and aren't in a position where someone else might infect you). When your job comes back, you go back to your job (and presumably your temporary corona-times job is just about wrapping up anyway).

I'm sorry you're in this situation. It's tough.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:35 am
ora_43 wrote:

There's something in between shutting everything down and ignoring the problem. There are plenty of measures people can take to mitigate how many people will die. I.e. reducing the capacity of restaurants but not shutting them down, etc. Its unrealistic that people will be able to do what they're doing now for the minimum of 18 months it takes to generate the vaccines. I'm not opposed to a temporary shutdown in order to try to slow the virus and shore up medical supplies while we still can. But leaders need to come out and say this is the plan and this is how long we will be doing this for and yes, people will die. This disease is a disease of the old not the young so as bad as it sounds many of these people would have died of something else in the not-so-distant future. I don't think anything good will come from months of economic shutdown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics