Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
4 week old refuses to sleep on back in crib

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:14 pm
Or bassinet.
Will sleep for hours in my bed, in the stroller (not a safe or realistic option for nights for us), or in my arms. Or even on her tummy.
Please help a tired mamma who is spending maternity leave with all kids at home!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:19 pm
Why isn't the stroller safe? My baby sleeps in the stroller, I lost too many nights of sleep trying to get him to sleep in the crib. He cries and cries non stop. I gave up.
Try putting baby on side, many babies are not comfortable on their back.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Why isn't the stroller safe? My baby sleeps in the stroller, I lost too many nights of sleep trying to get him to sleep in the crib. He cries and cries non stop. I gave up.
Try putting baby on side, many babies are not comfortable on their back.

Not safe because her head lolls heavily to one side.
Not practical because I don't want to bring it upstairs or sleep downstairs.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Try a baby pillow.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:49 pm
Side and tummy sleeping are not recommended. Are you swaddling and using white noise?
4 weeks is survival mode. As is the rest of life right now. There’s not an easy answer. Is your husband available to help during the night?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:51 pm
Baby just wants you. You're safety and comfort. You're all baby knows

Swaddling can help. Maybe put something that smells like you close by.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:55 pm
I am swaddling. I am using white noise. My husband is not available to help during the night (and I nurse so it's not practical) but he does take the early morning shift so I can sleep in.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:00 pm
My baby was the same until we figured out that lying flat on his back bothered him. Try putting towels under his sheet to raise him

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:04 pm
back to sleep is a huge joke. supposedly helped decline SIDS rates but if you research it yourself you will find out that you can just put your baby tummy down and both of you will sleep better.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:05 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Side and tummy sleeping are not recommended. Are you swaddling and using white noise?
4 weeks is survival mode. As is the rest of life right now. There’s not an easy answer. Is your husband available to help during the night?

I think every doctor recommends side sleeping.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:22 pm
I braced one of my babies on his side using a toy he couldn't suffocate on. It was the only way at that point. You need your sleep.

(DD gave us no choice. She rolled over at one week old, so we just prayed and kept her bed clear.)

If you want, there's a product called BabySense which warns you if you're baby isn't breathing, and which may help you feel safer putting him in alternate positions. It's a bit expensive, but you can't put a price on peace of mind.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:48 pm
With our oldest we figured out that she'd only sleep if she was tightly wrapped in her cotton blanket, with tightly rolled up heavier blankets on each side of her. Basically sandwiched tightly in the bassinet.

A lot of babies are used to being snug in the fetal position within the womb, no extra space around them. Then suddenly they're in a cold wide open world, floundering, feeling very insecure. They feel better when they are snug, held in pace, in their small bassinets.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I think every doctor recommends side sleeping.
When dd was born, the nurses in the hospital did not allow me to put her on her side. Only her back. They found her on her side once and switched her to her back immediately.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:28 am
the world's best mom wrote:
When dd was born, the nurses in the hospital did not allow me to put her on her side. Only her back. They found her on her side once and switched her to her back immediately.

Hospitals are different. They want no risk whatsoever until you're discharged from their care. It's not safe to leave a baby all day on it's back in a bassinet either for long periods of time, but for two days, they'll do it.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I guess it depends which stroller. My stroller lays down flat, babys head doesn't roll to the side.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:14 am
All of my babies did that at four weeks. Baby wasn't sleeping and I wasn't sleeping. It was really not a good situation at all. My pediatrician was fine with baby on their stomach in a bassinet (no swaddle) or on back in my bed (practicing safe co sleeping).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics