Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Always a guest... now what do I do?
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:36 am
Really there are two issues.

Do you know anyone who would be willing to have a guest for the entire period plus potentially additional time if there is a need to be quarantined. Only you know whether you know anyone who would be willing and able to do that for you.

Second question is how do you observe where you are living in the event you need to stay there. I am sure there is a way to do that which might not be ideal but would provide the basic level of observance.

Is your mother openly hostile or just not willing to completely alter her live for that period.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:44 am
Not sure if this is medically good advice. But if there is another women or two in a similar situation and low risk, maybe you can join and get through this together.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:08 pm
Narbin wrote:
So, I am a divorced BT living out of town. I live in the tristate area and since my divorce I have been away every Shabbos and Yom Tov. I am looking for practical advice. I stayed home for the first time this past Shabbos with a nonobservant parent. Bh I was able to keep Shabbos but don’t foresee their will be any possible way to keep Pesach in my home. It’s more the logistical aspects that are an issue... keeping a flame on, house not being clean for Pesach, being able to light candles from existing flame, etc. I’m not even concerned about the food at this point because it’s available . It’s more about the Halacha.

Would it be outrageous of me to ask someone to host me in their home the entire Pesach? I would obviously offer money for food but my main concern is about the family possibly being exposed or me having possession been exposed entering their house. Please any suggestions would be appreciated!

CYLOR. And local health department regulations.

If you can obtain takeout food, do that, and heat it in a toaster oven purchased for that purpose, and placed on a mat on the kitchen counter. It will have to be cold or room temperature on the chag. As for lighting, talk to your parent about a yahrtzeit light. Or CYLOR about not lighting.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 2:08 pm
It's not a good idea to put a toaster oven or anything in OP's mom's kitchen. Who knows what could happen. When I was living at home with my non-frum parents, we had several kosher disasters because they just didn't realize what they had done. I really think it's doable to keep everything in OP's bedroom and have a nice YT. I do think it would be asking a lot for OP to ask a family to host her, unless her circumstances are very unusual. Everyone's trying their best to minimize risk and if OP has a way to make YT on her own, she should do it unless she has an extraordinary situation like parents who actively sabotage her observance. Aside from the health concerns, people's kids aren't on their best behavior from being cooped up, and unlike an ordinary year where guests would be out of the house for part of the day and give the host family some privacy, it's 8 days of 24/7 togetherness with kids that are already acting wild and parents that are more stressed than usual. Just my opinion as a BT who sympathizes with OP's situation, and understands how not easy it may be to stay at home for YT. This will be a different sort of Pesach for a lot of families this year.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

3- you can make pesach in your room. Buy an electric burner. Light candles in your room. Use a 3 day yartzeit candle to be able to take fire.

If out for night meals, for fire safety can light at host though, or, I'm unfamiliar exactly how this works, so can ask a rav about this, I think it's an option to maybe give the host a few cents to halachikally be a part of her candles.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics