Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
So confused about going to parents/in laws for pesach
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:45 pm
I really don't get it right now. I'm convinced that I'm making pesach (3 little kids and pregnant) for the first time and trying to figure out how to make it happen while working remotely and entertaining my kids etc. I took a 'poll' of my friends and family. from about 10 its only me and one other family that I know that;s making pesach! I'm in lakewood. these are all 'young kollel families;

from the ones I asked-we are all pretty much in the same situation. pregnant or not, with 2 to 4 little kids at home, never made pesach before etc.

everyone is just saying 'what?? your making pesach? you just go to your parents/inlaws and figure it out! mostly everyone will have had the virus by then anyways etc etc

just to note that all these families that are going to host their kids do not have anyone above 55 in their homes. meaning no grandparents will be there. still. I'm so confused about everyone going?!

no bashing please-I'm just trying to understand why I'm the crazy one here!

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:45 pm
You aren't.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:48 pm
You can also go to your parents. The difference from them and you is they are not on imamother...

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:52 pm
I could have written your post word for word! I’m also pregnant with little kids, working remotely and homeschooling, and I’m the only one I know who is staying home for Pesach. What is wrong with everyone??

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:53 pm
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I could have written your post word for word! I’m also pregnant with little kids, working remotely and homeschooling, and I’m the only one I know who is staying home for Pesach. What is wrong with everyone??

And everyone is telling me 'nebach, how will you do it' Punch

lucky14

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:00 pm
Our country is trying to control the rate of the spread of the virus so hospitals don't get over filled . We are trying to prevent people from dying. By not following what the government is telling us to do we are causing the virus to spread faster which will lead to too many people being sick at once. The hospitals can only handle so many. The more people you expose yourself to the more likely you will get it and give it to others. Everyone should not be getting it by pesach time. People are supposed to be home right now.
People are either clueless about why we are supposed to be staying in our homes or they are selfish.
We are staying home to save lives.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:05 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You can also go to your parents. The difference from them and you is they are not on imamother...

NO YOU CAN NOT!!!!
I have a friend who was exposed on Purim, and only just NOW started exhibiting symptoms. Two week quarantined is very nice, but no one will be completely isolated, so there is a risk of exposure during that time, and then carrying the virus and passing it to others over chag. STAY HOME!!!! It’s really just not worth it.
And PS- there was also the joint statement, issued a little while ago, by
Rabbinical Alliance of American
Orthodox Union
The Agudah
RCA
Young Israel
Bad of Lakewood and central New Jersey

They are in agreement that everyone SHOULD STAY HOME

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/03/joint-statement-to-the-orthodox-community-regarding-pesach.html

I don't understand how someone could read that and still go to family (except rare circumstances). Can someone explain THAT to me?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:07 pm
I live in Lakewood, young family, one kid.
Both our parents live in NY.
We are probably staying home.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:09 pm
People are in denial. They’re going to be stuck making Pesach in 5 days when you have 3 weeks.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:06 pm
I’m not in Lakewood but here everyone is doing their own pesach. Our rabbi just gave us many leniencies to make it possible for us

Geulanow

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:21 pm
[quote="tichellady"]I’m not in Lakewood but here everyone is doing their own pesach. Our rabbi just gave us many leniencies to make it possible for us[and/quote]
What leniencies?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:26 pm
On the other hand, can you have your elderly parents by you if they are unable to make pesach themselves?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:32 pm
Just going to be honest and say that this thread is giving a skewed picture.

Out of my five close friends around the tri state I’m the only one staying home. I think I’m the only one with parents in the high 50s but not sure. All young with 1-3 kids.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:34 pm
I have three kids ages 7 and under and I am expecting iyH. Live in Lakewood. We are staying home for pesach for the first time this yr. You are not the only one OP. But it is not easy making the right decision. It's a hard, right decision.

thriver

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:39 pm
Yes. If we have gone so far as to close schools and shuls, let’s do our part and stay home. It is not easy. But it is right.

momlife

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:44 pm
I’m not sure what to do. I have 2 under 2 and working remote full time. My parents and in laws both live in Lakewood and as of now are happy for us to split y”t as we’ve done previously.
If I do need to make pesach I wouldn’t know where to start.

Fave

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:50 pm
OP, with 3 little kids + 1 on the way, staying home should be much easier once you set your mind to it. Once you’ll do it this year, you’ll probably continue to make Pesach year after year. Everyone in their own beds/bathroom, child friendly meals and schedule, no packing up going and coming.....a dream come true.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 7:19 pm
I live in brooklyn and my parent are begging us to come to their seder. They are under 60 and we live 5 short blocks away we usually walk it with are kids. We don't either know what to do
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics