Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
People in public health - could you explain testing to me?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:03 pm
I'm not understanding the logic to testing specifically those with symptoms.

Surely at this point anyone needing treatment will be assumed to have the virus (and that is certainly how they are handled for the 4-5 days until they actually have results back).
Why are they testing people who will either
a) need emergency treatment either way?
b) iyH won't need emergency treatment but would be presumed infected based on the symptoms.

When there are many many people with milder symptoms who are probably walking around spreading it, but are being refused tests!

The spreaders need to be tested.

And those who have had it already and don't even know it will come in very handy in hospitals etc., assuming they won't be reinfected at least for a little while (if we can assume China is telling us the truth that numbers have reduced due to herd immunity).
Apart from the fact that they would actually be allowed to walk around and get some things done for those who are stuck at home, or are sick. Can they do a simple test to show that? Or would that require blood

I'd like to know the percentage of negative tests out of all those tested. If it is high then I could still see justification, but if not, then why waste the tests?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:09 pm
I heard that the UK are going to be testing people for immunity soon which makes much more sense seeing as almost everyone has it or has had it! I just hope they hurry up!

crust

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:15 pm
I have another question.
Why are you calling people into the office to test?

You are basically infecting every single center.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:18 pm
crust wrote:
I have another question.
Why are you calling people into the office to test?

You are basically infecting every single center.

Who's 'we' ?? I've no idea how they're testing . Maybe through a kit in the post!

crust

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Who's 'we' ?? I've no idea how they're testing . Maybe through a kit in the post!

Grandma is in quarantine.
The schools are closed.
We are desperately trying to protect her from getting that virus that her gradchilden can silently carry and transmit to her.

She is sitting lonely at home.
Her children aren't coming by. She misses them but hello. Pikuach Nefesh.

Her grandchildren aren't visiting because, well, grandma is high risk.

Grandma gets sick. She calls the doctor.
The doctor says come over let's check you out.

Grandma walks in to the doctor's office that has already seen many Covid 19 positive patients today.

Hello Grandma. Here's some Covid for you.

Disclaimer; I know your doctor doesn't do this but many others still do.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:30 pm
crust wrote:
Grandma is in quarantine.
The schools are closed.
We are desperately trying to protect her from getting that virus that her gradchilden can silently carry and transmit to her.

She is sitting lonely at home.
Her children aren't coming by. She misses them but hello. Pikuach Nefesh.

Her grandchildren aren't visiting because, well, grandma is high risk.

Grandma gets sick. She calls the doctor.
The doctor says come over let's check you out.

Grandma walks in to the doctor's office that has already seen many Covid 19 positive patients today.

Hello Grandma. Here's some Covid for you.

Disclaimer; I know your doctor doesn't do this but many others still do.

They set up drive through testing places for this reason so it’s done from within your vehicle. Roll down the window and get swabbed.

crust

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
They set up drive through testing places for this reason so it’s done from within your vehicle. Roll down the window and get swabbed.

See my disclaimer.

r1

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:58 pm
All dr offices where I live are closed for walk ins

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:09 pm
Ideally if US had taken the months it had to prepare, there would have been adequate tests - just as there would be masks, ventilators and emergency field hospitals set up.

The reason why tests aren't recommended at the moment for people without symptoms is because there aren't enough tests so they have to be given to those for whom it is necessary. If you check into a hospital with certain symptoms, you need to get the test so they know whether to isolate you.

If you just have a moderate degree of illness there is nothing they will do for you. You aren't going to go to the hospital and so from a clinical point of view, a test serves no function.

Of course testing is critical for epidemiological research but that bird has flown the nest since the Federal government failed to prepare when it was GIVEN WARNINGS back in December when reports first came from China.

Of course if you are rich and/or famous this doesn't apply since rich people and celebrity all seem to have no problems getting tests when they need it. In Los Angeles, you can "buy" a test as some of the concierge doctors are selling them for $250 to $600 per test.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:28 pm
The emergencies will be isolated for the time the test takes to come back (right now that could be 4 days).
I understand that they would want to know after that if isolation must continue.

But if (as I read of NY the other day) 15% of those tested are hospitalized, it sounds like 85% were for milder symptoms that would have included fever and cough. If the other 85% percent presumably presented with a fever, why can't those people just stay where they are, recover at home, and assume they are contagious?
The rest of those precious tests can be used for all those with sniffles, sore throat et al.
I'll bet that would stop lot of transmission.
And might even help the economy a little.
At least if those with lesser symptoms know they had it already, they could get back to a more normal routine, and actually help out the sick.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:46 pm
The big advantage to testing would be that once recovered the people that already had corona can be of a huge help to ppl still in quarantine, can go back to work...
Now it's more of a guessing game!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics