Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can someone explain
Previous  1  2

Laiya

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 3:00 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
People in these areas are going to work, the bank, the grocery store.. not everyone is quarantined.

My husband is still on the subways.

In NY, Cuomo just said that 100% of the workforce must work from home, unless you're in a specifically exempted category of "essential" businesses. He also said that no one should use public transit, although it is being kept running for emergency personnel.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:48 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
When someone says they think they have the virus, therefore they are self quarantining, what does that mean if they live in Israel, NY, NJ, or California- where EVERYONE is self quarantining?

It means they are not going out EVEN to buy groceries. When my husband felt the slightest symptoms he wouldn't even answer the door or take a walk

Last edited by amother on Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:50 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

My husband is still on the subways.

Seriosuly????? Did I hear right???

Please tell me he is a Dr or nurse. I'll assume that's what you mean until you confirm

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:52 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Not everyone can work from home or afford to quit their job.

So your risking other peoples lives for financial considerations??

People can't afford to die either

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Seriosuly????? Did I hear right???

Please tell me he is a Dr or nurse. I'll assume that's what you mean until you confirm

No he's not. You can pm me for clarification.

And honestly, I don't understand your bewilderment. No one was told to quarantine at all.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:55 pm
So your risking other peoples lives for financial considerations??

People can't afford to die either

Um, wasn't it just last week that our beloved mayor said that everyone should please ride the subways like normal? Or was that our governor? Or president? It's hard to keep track.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:56 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
No he's not. You can pm me for clarification.

And honestly, I don't understand your bewilderment. No one was told to quarantine at all.

I'm too shocked...ill leave this to others to explain what's wrong with taking the subway now.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:59 pm
I'm too shocked...ill leave this to others to explain what's wrong with taking the subway now.

I wrote this a few days ago, but this is my rant for now - every single family I know has at least one person sick with coronavirus. Everybody. According to what we know about this virus, it has to have been circulating for weeks, if not months. Yet suddenly everyone is quarantining now. When the horse has long left the barn.

Btw, you may just want to pm me. I have a very interesting explanation.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:10 am
And just to get back on my soapbox for a minute - all of you amothers who are so worried, where were you all a month ago? The streets were full, the shopping stores were jam packed. Yet EVERYONE was silently either transmitting or receiving the virus. I just heard the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx, say that according to the data now available, this virus has been circulating the greater new york city area since January. Where were all of you then? Why weren't you isolating at the time of greatest danger? Why suddenly is everyone scared? You should have been much more scared four weeks ago.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:14 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I wrote this a few days ago, but this is my rant for now - every single family I know has at least one person sick with coronavirus. Everybody. According to what we know about this virus, it has to have been circulating for weeks, if not months. Yet suddenly everyone is quarantining now. When the horse has long left the barn.

I’m intrigued:)
And you’re probably right- it seems to me like שירעם נאך א רעגן but this is what’s ordered now to somewhat flatten the curve- and it’s the least we can do to alleviate the burden on the healthcare system. This is our hishtadlus now...

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:17 am
Laiya wrote:
In NY, Cuomo just said that 100% of the workforce must work from home, unless you're in a specifically exempted category of "essential" businesses. He also said that no one should use public transit, although it is being kept running for emergency personnel.

Maybe my husband owns a liquor store.

I'm not sure why I'm joking here, this is really not funny.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:58 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I think it might just be different in NYC and Lakewood. I am going to lose close to 10,000 this month by not working but I dont have a choice in the matter. Cuomo ordered all non-essential workers home and my job was lost for now Sad. My husband learns so at least he can continue his (non-paying) job. (And no we don't have savings and can't afford this).

It’s crazy how many businesses are considered essential.
My DH is . Considered essential so travels to work each day. He is grateful for his job and isn’t quitting

I always work from home but ppl are traveling into the office because the software company is considered essential. I don’t understand why.

We are in our home with little interactions. But have gone food shopping and to the pharmacy and DH to work. We also go for walks and ride bikes.

That is social distancing.

The ppl I know in quarantine. Sick ppl are in one room with private bathroom. Fed in their room. Rest of family is in the home and doesn’t leave for anything.

Besides at this point almost every single person I speak to has someone with a fever in their home. There was a point when I was terrified but for me that is now gone because I feel it’s a lost cause and inevitable.

mig100

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:52 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Wow! I guess I'm in my own world! Everyone I know is working from home or not at work. Grocery visits are strongly discouraged by every news article, doctor etc.
The streets are deserted despite the relatively nice weather. Families are really keeping separate.

Bank- we've been able to do everything remotely, or through the drive through.

I live I your world. Tristate Rea

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:04 am
southernbubby wrote:
I saw a private business that runs errands in Monsey, posted today. Maybe people should get the word out that they will pay an errand runner or see if car services who need business would shop or pick up prescriptions.
In some places there is Whole Foods delivery via Amazon or there is Instacart. Some places won't deliver but have curb service.

I’m in Monsey and in quarantine. Didn’t get tested but pretty sure we have it.
Would love to know the number of the business because I really need my Pesach shopping done.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:29 am
ora_43 wrote:
In Israel, it would mean:

- they do not leave the house at all, as opposed to people who weren't exposed and can still go to the grocery store, pharmacy, for short walks, or a few other things.

- they don't go to work even if they are essential workers (eg the 20 staffers at the local hospital who currently can't work because some idiot lied about having been exposed to corona Rolling Eyes )

- even within their house, they separate from other family members as much as possible. staying in a separate room, preferably using their own separate bathroom, keeping a 2-meter distance, etc.

THIS.

And no, EVERYONE in Israel is not self-quarantining, nor have they been instructed to.

We are supposed to practice social distancing, only go out for necessary food or medical purchases, all non-essential businesses are closed, companies are prdering all employees who can do so to work from home, avoid having houseguests, etc etc etc.

This is NOT quarantining.

Quarantining means you do not go outside at all, you say in an isolated room in your own home, avoiding other family members, etc.

I see many people on these boards using "quarantined" to mean "anyone who has to stand in a well-spaced line for toilet paper at Costco," and it is not correct.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:21 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Maybe my husband owns a liquor store.

I'm not sure why I'm joking here, this is really not funny.

I'm not sure either.

Going to work now on a train is not funny. At all. Really not funny.

mig100

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:12 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
The streets in my area of NYC are empty. Of course the health care workers and other essential workers are out but everyone else is mostly home.

I wouldnt even konw if they are empty or not I barely leave my basement apartment

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:30 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

If your husband has likely been exposed he should not be riding the subway. Every time he's getting on a train he's potentially infecting hundreds of people.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:48 am
allthingsblue wrote:
If a family is officially quarantined, how do they get groceries and medical supplies? (No deliveries available anymore in my area.)

Shul or volunteers drop at your door. You can pay with CC. Schedule deliveries in advance.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:07 am
I dream about being quarantined (but not having COVID 19).
I am considered an essential worker but I feel that I could do my job from home. Every day that I am at my job site puts my family at risk. All my professional counterparts feel exactly the same way and we have been fighting (unsuccessfully) to work remotely.
For the record, even though I go to work and wash diligently..... I do not go to stores, visit my family, touch my children or sleep in the same room as DH.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics