Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
PSA - it is possible to make matzah at home
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:01 am
Just thought this should go out there, so I made it its own post, in case anyone needs these tips

I do know a family whom makes their own matzah. They hold chametz happens in 11 minutes (a chumrah I've only heard their Rav day, so don't sweat it, ladies), so they do everything by themselves, because they can't eat most bakery matzot.

They make matzah both before and during pesach.

Some tips:

They make only a kilo at a time.

They divide up the work: their older daughters do the mixing, mom does the rolling, and dad does the baking.

They bake it on their grill, which is quite large and able to handle a bunch of pita-sized matzot.

They finish the rolling out very quickly, so they do the washing up while dad is still baking.

They told me that it usually takes them 7-8 minutes to do the whole batch.

They practiced a lot the first year they did it, so they wouldn't accidentally treif up anything on Pesach.

Voila! Homemade matzot, daily, and hot!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:04 am
And where do you get the totally dry unprocessed flour?

naomi2

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:05 am
Don't you need special wheat that has been watched in the field and special water as well?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:08 am
I think the hardest part of this is getting your hands on shmura flour. I understand that the factories don't want it on the market because they worry about accidentally making things chametz and, more cynically, because they want to maintain their monopoly.

Sefardim who eat soft matza (clearly the original kind) always had to bake matza on yom tov because it would spoil. The flat hard kind can be baked far in advance.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:10 am
The wheat should be harvested after a few dry clear days, and guarded over from that time. The water needs to sit overnight. There are diffetent opinions on the source of the water.

I know of a couple of families that bake matza erev Pesach. If you know where to go, the flour is available, at least in Israel. Might be harder to acssess it in America.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:10 am
The flour? I don't know where the matzah bakeries get it in America, but here it's not that hard to buy as an individual or a small group of families. You order it straight from the mill.

The point of this post is to help people figure out ways the baking can be done, if they're having trouble getting their hands on matzah this year. Every individual knows their local supply chain, and where they best can get their hands on shmurah flour.

(I won't be baking matzah. We have bought matzah, and we definitely don't have a large hot oven or grill. But if someone can't buy matzah, they shouldn't feel stuck - there are solutions, and it's doable.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:32 am
Two issues: the flour, and the oven. It can really get that hot?

I think that this is so risky, and matzah is available, that no rav would recommend this. (Don't bring up heroic WWII stories, apples and oranges.)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:35 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Two issues: the flour, and the oven. It can really get that hot?

I think that this is so risky, and matzah is available, that no rav would recommend this. (Don't bring up heroic WWII stories, apples and oranges.)

The oven has to reach a certain temp when making matzah?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:42 am
I think it is hotter than a regular oven, but nothing extreme.

People made matza in brick ovens for hundreds of years before electricity.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:55 am
I make my own matzah. Its not shumra matzah - I purchase whole wheat berries and mill them myself.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I make my own matzah. Its not shumra matzah - I purchase whole wheat berries and mill them myself.

I make my own as well, we purchase shmura flour from a matzah bakery.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:15 pm
Wow amazing! Amothers that make your own matzahs... When? How? Why? So cool.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:27 pm

DO NOT ATEMPT THIS.......

according to many Rishonim one needs a stone oven

According to others you need a gas-fired one that is like 900 degrees farenheit

There is too great a risk you will be eating Chometz Gomur

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I make my own as well, we purchase shmura flour from a matzah bakery.

I don't have that option.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:30 pm
avrahamama wrote:

We divide the tasks, so while one is shaping, the other one cleans the area, another one watches the oven and so on!
It's fun! Smile

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:32 pm
avrahamama wrote:

I can't discuss it on a public forum.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I think the hardest part of this is getting your hands on shmura flour. I understand that the factories don't want it on the market because they worry about accidentally making things chametz and, more cynically, because they want to maintain their monopoly.

Sefardim who eat soft matza (clearly the original kind) always had to bake matza on yom tov because it would spoil. The flat hard kind can be baked far in advance.

Just commenting on the shmura flour. Remember - this website has all sorts of frum women. Not all hold by shmura. Many people hold that non shmura is ok also.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Just commenting on the shmura flour. Remember - this website has all sorts of frum women. Not all hold by shmura. Many people hold that non shmura is ok also.

Yes. But adding to that - regular flour from the store is neither shmura, nor kosher for Pessach for those who eat non-shmura matzos.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:40 pm
watergirl wrote:

But everyone holds of some kind of shmura.
The "true shmura" is watched from harvesting.
But even the regular 18 minute matza is watched or supervised in some capacity from grinding.
I don't think anyone holds that I can walk into my local grocery, buy a bag of flour and use it for matza.

Though if there's a source to the contrary, I'm open to learning.

Hillery

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:58 pm
watergirl wrote:

I remember listening to a shiur about this in recent years. There are two ways of processing flour commercially: one renders it chametz and the other doesn't.

So blindly buying supermarket flour is a serious problem, and it's quite different from days of yore when no flour was explicitly made chametz. Ask your rov but make sure he knows the facts on the ground.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics