Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby needs to be held aaallll day!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 11:33 am
I'm going nuts.
My 6 month old, who weighs 22 pounds just btw, shrieks all day to be held.
He's usually at the babysitter, but...happy quarantine, everyone. He's the most chilled out baby at the babysitter. Doesn't make a peep. Sits in the swing/bouncer/exersaucer quietly and watches the other kids. When I come to pick him up, he just smiles at me and raises his arms for me to take him. No crying, no screaming, no desperate noises.
Now that we're home together, he just screams and shrieks whenever I'm not holding him.
I don't have a baby carrier and can't get one now.
I can't anymore! What do I do??

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 11:43 am
Do you have a "mama's group" on Facebook or Whatsapp for your area? Maybe someone nearby will have an extra carrier you can buy or borrow.

I remember those days of lugging around my "little sack of potatoes", and not being able to put her down. Hang in there!

You can PM Finallyamommy for baby wearing tips. She's been able to wear her DD up until almost 3 years old! She's a wrapping champion. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 11:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you have a "mama's group" on Facebook or Whatsapp for your area? Maybe someone nearby will have an extra carrier you can buy or borrow.

I remember those days of lugging around my "little sack of potatoes", and not being able to put her down. Hang in there!

You can PM Finallyamommy for baby wearing tips. She's been able to wear her DD up until almost 3 years old! She's a wrapping champion. Very Happy

No I don't Sad and I'm not sure I wanna borrow anything from anyone these days, tbh!
What am I supposed to wrap my big ol' sack of potatoes (lol love it!) with?
Also, once you're strapped to your baby, how do you do anything??

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 11:57 am
Hi! Happy to help if I can. You can put a 6 month old on your back and then it's super easy to get things done. Buckle carriers are easiest for beginners but a wrap or Mei Tai is great too. Mei Tais are my favorite. All baby carriers can be put in the washing machine as far as I know, so totally safe to borrow one. If you're in Beit Shemesh I can see about lending you one - my daughter is four so my babywearing days are pretty much over for now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:08 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
Hi! Happy to help if I can. You can put a 6 month old on your back and then it's super easy to get things done. Buckle carriers are easiest for beginners but a wrap or Mei Tai is great too. Mei Tais are my favorite. All baby carriers can be put in the washing machine as far as I know, so totally safe to borrow one. If you're in Beit Shemesh I can see about lending you one - my daughter is four so my babywearing days are pretty much over for now.

That's so cool!
Back is way smarter than stomach. I never thought of that. But how do you sit?
I'm not in Beit Shemesh, but thank you!

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's so cool!

Sideways, backwards, or backless chair. Wink

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:10 pm
Some people are able to fashion a wrap out of a towel or tablecloth, but I'm not that advanced! There might be online tutorials though.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's so cool!

If you’re going to be doing a lot of sitting and standing, a hip carry can be nice because they’re not in the way as much as in a front carry, but you can sit nicely.

Can you post your location? Someone here might have an extra carrier you can have or borrow. And yeah, all of them are machine washable so I wouldn’t worry about taking someone up on it.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:17 pm
Does he also shriek when you're playing on the floor with him? Sometimes it's just a normal stage. It will pass. Get important things done when he's napping, and adjust your expectations so holding him is expected.

polka dots

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:18 pm
Honestly I would give my baby a dose of Motrin once and see if she’s better. Just to rule out physical thing.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:28 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Does he also shriek when you're playing on the floor with him? Sometimes it's just a normal stage. It will pass. Get important things done when he's napping, and adjust your expectations so holding him is expected.

Why? He goes to the babysitter every day, he's happy there. Now that baby is home with mom all day, of course he wants to be held by mom all day! He wants mom's attention.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
If you’re going to be doing a lot of sitting and standing, a hip carry can be nice because they’re not in the way as much as in a front carry, but you can sit nicely.

Can you post your location? Someone here might have an extra carrier you can have or borrow. And yeah, all of them are machine washable so I wouldn’t worry about taking someone up on it.

In my opinion, a baby that big is hard to hip carry, it's uneven and hurts one's back. But then I never liked hip carrying at any stage and could only stand to do it for a few minutes at a time.

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:38 pm
22 pounds! That's amazing my one year old is 17 pounds. Good job Mama 👍

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:50 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
In my opinion, a baby that big is hard to hip carry, it's uneven and hurts one's back. But then I never liked hip carrying at any stage and could only stand to do it for a few minutes at a time.

Yeah, I feel like each person has to experiment to find what positions work for them. I’ve hip-carries a bigger baby than that constantly. But then again, maybe my large hips provide a big enough shelf to sit on that it’s not a problem. Can't Believe It

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Why? He goes to the babysitter every day, he's happy there. Now that baby is home with mom all day, of course he wants to be held by mom all day! He wants mom's attention.

Why what?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:58 pm
Why what?

Why OP should give him motrin.
It's normal for babies that are usually at the sitter to want to be held all day when home with mom.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:59 pm
Why what?

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Was meant for polka dots who said OP should give him motrin. Sorry.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:01 pm
try feeding him more

polka dots

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:57 pm
I would t give Motrin the whole time and of course it makes sense that all he wants is mommy’s attention.
But when a child is unhappy like this I usually give one dose of Motrin to rule out that nothing is bothering him. Ear infection, teething... if you see the child is happy on Motrin then something bothers them. If they are still cranky then you know its not

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:12 pm
It could be teething. And I wouldn't give motrin at all right now. Would give Tylenol.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics