Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ear infection

momlife

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:29 pm
I think my 6 month old might have an ear infection, but being that there is no fever bH the dr said better not to come in. He is miserable and wants to be held all day. On top of that I feel like my milk supply is going down so he’s not getting enough antibodies from the bm.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:30 pm
Give Tylenol or motrin

Prettygirl30

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:42 pm
Do not give motrin!... only bc of the virus going around keep him on tylenol... ur supply is probably going down bc hes not eating properly bc the swallowing hurts his ears.... if u dont want to medicate without being seen, give him tylenol wait 20-30 min and then try and nurse and see how he does....

Prettygirl30

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:43 pm
Also dont wait to long bc chas vshalom a burst ear drum is worst... and btw my kids get ear infections without fever... maybe ask for medication over the fone and if in 2-3 days hea not better take him in refuah shelima

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:48 pm
If it’s not yet infected and just a build up of fluid mix 1 oz warm water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda (baking soda is for storage shelf). Put a few drops into ears 3x a day, and pump it into the ear with your finger over the ear flap. It works by soothing the ear and as well as draining the fluid just like we use salt to kasher chickens.

If already infected, put peroxide into the ear and pump in with your finger and it will pull out infection.

I do salt water any time I even think an infection is coming and always cleared it up. Don’t use antibiotics anymore. Good luck!

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:18 am
Another Black, thanks for sharing!! My 7 month old already had two ear infections, and now I think a third one is coming up. Will call the doc, but I will definitely try your ideas.

thanks

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:23 am
Mullen drops from the healthfood store. Soothed my kids ear infections.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:08 am
Glad to be of help. My son used to get frequent infections and this is what helped till he outgrew them.
Also note, the peroxide will bubble up if infected or first to clear out any bacteria. Keep doing till you don’t see it bubbling anymore. I think a week should be good till it clears. It can be possible to need it longer. Also, if infected and doing the peroxide, can also use the salt water afterwards to smooth the pain.

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:17 am
Amother black, can I do either of your methods if his eardrum is perforated? Do you know?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:16 am
If it’s perforated I don’t think you should do it. But it shouldn’t hurt anymore as all he fluid is coming out no? It gets perforated when too much fluid builds up against the eardrum and pushes it. But that should release the pain as there is no more pressure.

I have heard Pple put oil of oregano (from health food store)behind ear lobes, I’d ask the health food store if that is safe for using on perforated ear as it doesn’t go inside ear directly.
I’ve never used oil of oregano myself but find out abt it if it’s an option for you.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:19 am
I put a clove of garlic on both of my babys ears and kept it there all day and night and his ear infections cleared up

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
If it’s perforated I don’t think you should do it. But it shouldn’t hurt anymore as all he fluid is coming out no? It gets perforated when too much fluid builds up against the eardrum and pushes it. But that should release the pain as there is no more pressure.

I have heard Pple put oil of oregano (from health food store)behind ear lobes, I’d ask the health food store if that is safe for using on perforated ear as it doesn’t go inside ear directly.
I’ve never used oil of oregano myself but find out abt it if it’s an option for you.

Ye, it's not really hurting him anymore now. BH doctor prescribed him now a stronger antibiotic and ear drops. Hopefully it should heal shortly.

But I'll keep your tips in mind for the future.

Thank you to the mom who mentioned the garlic!

momlife

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I put a clove of garlic on both of my babys ears and kept it there all day and night and his ear infections cleared up

I haven’t had a chance to come back on here until now things have been crazy! But I did try the garlic (a neighbor of mine swears by it) and bH he seems much better. Still not nursing nicely though so I’m trying to pump build my supply back up...

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 9:08 pm
When my baby had a cold, I put folded baby blankets under her fitted crib sheet 2 elevate her head to help her sleep better. She was cranky last week, and I thought she had an ear infection, so I put a flat pillow under her sheet to raise her head and help her sleep better...I find elevating her head ( under the sheet, so c"v no danger ) makes a difference..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics