Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
My 1st pesach--share your easiest basic recipes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:25 pm
I was the poster in last week's thread, insisting that come hell or highwater, I'm going to my parents. I'm not. Placed tons of orders on Amazon and Walmart and staying home. Pls share basic (no exotic ingredients, no patchke) menu ideas, recipes or adaptations to chometz recipes.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:35 pm
Chicken, potatoes, carrots.
Spices, some barbecue sauce (if you have), water, bake covered.

Same thing, just a roast instead of chicken.

chaj

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:43 pm
chicken thighs cook on low with a lot of onion rings. I make this every year

fry really a lot of onions, add chicken, salt, pepper, put a bit of water, not too much, let cook for at least one hour. add water if there is not enough sauce

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:48 pm
I'm available if you're looking for a salt water recipe.
I only charge royalties, nothing for the recipe. But every time you use it, I get a minimal stipend...

MiriFr

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:54 pm
These are my absolutely easiest peasiest:

Meatballs
Hawaiian chicken
Meat pizza
Pulled brisket with pesach crackers
Apple crisp
Roasted veggie quinoa

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:12 pm
I'll share how I cook my food... we dont use many ingredients and I stick to basics. This is what I try to make in advance:
I bake a few cakes... usually brownies and cc squares (recipe from btw. Carpools)
Apple and pear compote
Big pot of fried onions which I use in so many recipes
Big pot of chicken soup
Vegetable soup
Homemade lokshen
Potato kugel
I "bread" shnitzel and freeze raw
Roasts are made with onions and wine
I prepare meatballs.

Right before yom tov I prepare salads like cole slaw, cucumber salad, and potato salad

I like to make sides fresh.... like grilled vegetables or roasted potatoes

Good luck!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:19 pm
What’s the roast recipe please.

amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I'll share how I cook my food... we dont use many ingredients and I stick to basics. This is what I try to make in advance:
I bake a few cakes... usually brownies and cc squares (recipe from btw. Carpools)
Apple and pear compote
Big pot of chicken soup
Vegetable soup
Homemade lokshen
Potato kugel
I prepare meatballs.

Right before yom tov I prepare salads like cole slaw, cucumber salad, and potato salad

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:28 pm
MiriFr wrote:
These are my absolutely easiest peasiest:

Meatballs
Hawaiian chicken
Meat pizza
Pulled brisket with pesach crackers
Apple crisp
Roasted veggie quinoa

Can you please please pretty please post detailed recipes and instructions???

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Apple and pear compote
Big pot of chicken soup
Vegetable soup
Homemade lokshen
Potato kugel
I prepare meatballs.

Good luck!

So I'm actually in the opposite boat, we use all ingredients with a good hechsher, including kitniyos and obviously gebroks. I just am a very very basic cook, typically sticking to a few cultural basic and a few American/Ashkenazi basics and calling it a day (a shabbos, rather!).

I'd love to know how you make the compote, and also what you do with all the fried onions

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:45 pm
I'm in the same boat as you. Was determined until very recently to go to my parents, but now I'm making pesach for the first time.

I planned a basic menu, pretty much using favorite recipes I've used year-round.

This broccoli kugel is yummy and super simple:

https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....el-2/

saralem

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:07 pm
I make a big pot of chicken soup with a ton of vegetables, like potato, sweet potato, carrots, squash, onion, parsnip, turnip, when the veggies are soft, I puree about half of it to make it thick. its super easy, filling and yum.
I also make roasted chicken with lots of sliced onions and orange juice. you can also make it with pureed fresh pineapple.
Meat loaf and shepards pie are also easy and filling. I use grated zucchini and potato with the ground beef and eggs for meat loaves and meatballs. Shepards Pie is just browned ground beef with a layer of mashed potato on top.
Roasted vegetables on a sheet pan is super easy and good. you can roast beets, sweet potato, potato, butternut squash. fast and minimal prep.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:11 pm
Check your rice a few cups a day now! Keep it in a Ziploc in your freezer as you check.

We don't use any bottles or jars of anything. Just meats salt pepper paprika and tumeric.

So chicken with veggies underneath it to cook in it's juices.

Celery stew with lamb

Shepherds pie

Chicken with the pereg chicken spice mix

Breakfast is always eggs, yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese

Lunch is salad, tuna, matzah pizza, grilled cheeses

Dinner is salads and chicken or fish cooked in pan with spices.

And looooooots of veggies

MiriFr

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you please please pretty please post detailed recipes and instructions???

Only cuz you asked so nicely Laugh

Meatballs- I make my regular meatball recipe, but with pesach crumbs (not matza meal! It's called "pesach crumbs"). And I make my regular sauce, which is just tomato sauce, sugar, and garlic.
I serve it with cauliflower rice that I saute with onions, mushrooms, and peppers

Hawaiian chicken- cut chicken cutlets into nuggets. Dredge in potato starch and fry. Set aside with cut up red peppers, cut up carrots, and pineapple chunks (from can). Sauce- boil up equal parts ketchup, red wine vinegar, and brown sugar. Pour over chicken, peppers,carrots, and pineapple. Mix altogether. Tada!

Meat pizza- my faaaaaaaave supper!!!! Saute red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms, and onion. Add a little salt, set aside. In the same pan (don't clean out, but you can add some more oil), brown some ground meat until cooked through. Add a little salt, onion soup mix, and marinara sauce (not too much. You don't want it to be too liquidy). Then, put meat on top of square matza, top with veggies. Bake on 350 for 15 min.

Pulled brisket with pesach crackers- literally just put brisket in a crockpot with equal parts coke and BBQ sauce. Serve on platter surrounded by pesach crackers (or even matza!)

Apple crisp- prep apples like you would for an apple crisp. Sprinkle cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice over top. The crumble part is equal parts potato starch and brown sugar, drizzle in oil until crumbly. (I love sweet stuff so I do more brown sugar than potato starch)

Roasted veggie quinoa- VEGGIES: dice 1 red onion, 1 red pepper, 1 zuchinni, and 1 small sweet potato. Lay out on baking sheet, drizzle oil salt+pepper and 4 garlic cubes. Roast on 400 for 35-45 min. QUINOA- boil 3 cups lightly salted water, add 1 1/2 cups quinoa. DRESSING: 1/3 C EVOO, 1/3 C balsamic vinegar (I've used red wine vin in place. Really good!), 2-3 Tb honey, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.

Last edited by MiriFr on Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:33 am
Thanks, MiriFr!!
Bumping for the night crowd

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:32 am
For seder night we do brisket and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are just potatoes with a little margarine or oil and some salt. Brisket - take a big chunk of meat, rub it with salt, pepper, and paprika, cover with onions, and bake. If you're feeling inspired you can add some potatoes underneath.

My easiest pesach recipes are:
- Sweet potato soup. Water, one onion, 2-3 carrots, 2-3 big sweet potatoes, chicken soup powder. Boil, blend it down and enjoy. (You can change the spice for variations - nutmeg and pepper; cumin and tumeric or curry powder; pepper and cream).

- Potatoes and eggs. Great as a quick filling snack, or a breakfast. Fry ground potatoes with some pepper and salt, when they start getting brown, add eggs. (Possible additions: onion, pepper, herbs, cheese.)

- Matza pizza. Matza + pizza sauce + cheese. Bake. Done.

- Pesach lasagna. Pizza sauce, matza, cottage cheese. Layer them in a vaguely lasagna-like shape, bake, done.

- (Kitniyot) Chili. A can or two of beans, a can of corn (drained), a blob of peanut butter, salt, chili powder.

- Fried fish is a simple recipe but a bit more time-consuming. Take white fish, dip in egg, dip in a mix of matza meal, salt, and whatever spices you like, fry. Can serve with microwaved potatoes with melted cheese.

(chicken shnitzel is basically the same, minus the cheese on the potatoes)

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:13 am
I also do a lot of basic and simple. One tip if you can, I find a crock pot very helpful for Pesach. Chicken, potatoes & onions, meat, potato & onion, you can "cook on YT by just sticking the crock in the device in the morning since it's YT or using a timer. Good luck!

thegiver

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:16 am
Chicken thighs on stove
Water just so doesn't burn
Chopped Onion dry garlic paprika
Simmer

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:30 am
We use next to nothing on Pesach, just meat, chicken, gefilte fish rolls, oil, liquid sugar, salt, nuts, and produce (peeled only). We don't do gebrokts.

So Chol Hamoed breakfast is hard boiled eggs, or french fries and scrambled eggs. Plus fresh fruit cut up.

Lunch is usually matzah and salad, maybe more eggs or gefilte fish.

Suppers:

Shepherds pie (mix ground beef with eggs and salt, bake. Boil potatoes, mash, add oil and salt. Spread potatoes over meat and return to oven until potatoes are browned slightly)

Stovetop chicken (put onions, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes into large frying pan on stove. Add an inch or so of water. Put chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle with salt. Cover partially.Cook on medium heat until ready, usually about a half hour. Check periodically to make sure water has not all evaporated.)

Baked chicken and potatoes (put potatoes and onions into pan. Put chicken on top. Pour some wine or juice over, add salt. Cover and bake.)

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:59 am
Miracle Bars
2 C ground almonds
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1 C chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients. Spread in 9x13 pan. Batter will be thick. Do not add water. Mix well.
Bake at 350 for 23 min.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:32 am
OP, there's an awesome cc cookie recipe with pudding somewhere on Imamother.
Most of my recipes are similar to my year round recipes - roast, potatoes under chicken, lots more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics