Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Too many emails
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:10 am
I am finding it so hard to keep up with all the gazillion emails I'm getting. The schools are all emailing about their distance learning programs. I am being inundated with emails regarding different speeches about how to talk to kids and navigate this crisis. Then every company- every single company- sent me an email assuring me that they are taking the covid 19 virus into consideration and stay safe etc, emails about different tefilla and tehillim conference calls...
And this is besides for the million texts, whatsapps, videos and pictures that keep flooding my phone. Some serious, some funny, some horrifying, some sad, some beautiful and inspiring.
I know some people are very bored, being out of work and all so they are counting grains of rice etc. But many of us are running around our small houses/apartments like headless chickens trying to entertain the kids and feed them and clean for pesach as well and maybe get in a perek or two of tehillim...
I'm not managing all the influx of communication being thrown at me.
Anyone else relate?

boysrus

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:24 am
yes. me.
I could have written your post!
Shabbos was such a mechaye! ahhh, the peace and quiet, no beeps, no bleeps, no emails...

wishing you and me strength, calm and patience to sift through all those emails!
and only good health and refuos to all of klal yisroel and the rest of humanity...

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:31 am
Who is forcing you to be glued to your phone

Put it in drawer , take it out an hour a day

Assign unique ringtones to urgent family members

Voilla

boysrus

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:40 am
I don't think that would work naturalmom5. At least not for me. As it is I don't check it all the time. And I don't use a smartphone, I'm on a PC.
But I still need to sift through dozens of emails each day. If I don't, I will miss the important ones, like ds13's homework, and new info about ds 9's zoom conference. etc. etc etc.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:44 am
Yes! I feel exactly the same way! Every time I get some inspirational video/conference call link, I think, It's great that empty nesters have something to do, but I'm busy with the kids all day long! And the multiple e-mails from the schools are driving me nuts. So many of them need to be printed (so the kids have the right number for the conference call--oops, they just changed it and sent a new e-mail) that I'm honestly more concerned about running out of printer paper than toilet paper! And while many of the e-mails are just informational ("We will send you tomorrow's schedule later this evening") some are important and timely (like the one about my HS daughter's conference call class taking place in 8 minutes). Arghhh!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:46 am
boysrus wrote:
I don't think that would work naturalmom5. At least not for me. As it is I don't check it all the time. And I don't use a smartphone, I'm on a PC.
But I still need to sift through dozens of emails each day. If I don't, I will miss the important ones, like ds13's homework, and new info about ds 9's zoom conference. etc. etc etc.

Exactly.
Also I don't have a Landline. If I put my phone away no one can reach me.
I dont check my emails that often. But when I do I have so many to go through...and now with all the kids home im supposed to be coordinating all the zoom stuff, conference calls and who knows what else. I'm also a teacher, so there's a separate texting group for that, and emails about grades and such.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:46 am
boysrus wrote:
yes. me.
I could have written your post!
Shabbos was such a mechaye! ahhh, the peace and quiet, no beeps, no bleeps, no emails...

wishing you and me strength, calm and patience to sift through all those emails!
and only good health and refuos to all of klal yisroel and the rest of humanity...

amen!!!!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:06 am
My kids are in online school all the time, but one thing I have done is set up a new email address JUST for school communications, and direct all teachers and admins to only email me there. (I even set up a filter in Gmail to forward all emails from those email addresses to my other account.)

Think "AmotherFamilySchoolCommunication@gmail.com".

That way I don't have to sort through ALL of my emails to get the test/homework/etc. emails. It's still a crazy flood, but somewhat more manageable.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:57 am
Here’s what I did- I saved the email addresses of the important people in my life & set a special beep to it. The rest I put on silent. Same for GroupMe chats- all in silent besides one that’s not very active but is usually with time sensitive info. (& I don’t have WhatsApp)
To minimize clutter my pc gmail is sorted in primary, promotions, updates & forums.
On the iPad I only get alerts when a primary email comes in.

Another very important thing I did to minimize clutter is unsubscribed to 99% of store emails so it doesn’t flood my phone (as it doesn’t sort mail there)
Whatever is still important I signed up with my work email.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly.
Also I don't have a Landline. If I put my phone away no one can reach me.
I dont check my emails that often. But when I do I have so many to go through...and now with all the kids home im supposed to be coordinating all the zoom stuff, conference calls and who knows what else. I'm also a teacher, so there's a separate texting group for that, and emails about grades and such.

Is it possible to create a dedicated email for important stuff and filter it to block spam

behappy2

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:15 pm
set aside a certain amount of minutes a day for emails. once a day.
unsubscribe to junk mail. I just did this. Too much inspiration is just overwhelm.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:19 pm
I thought this thread was going to be about all the emails that need to be "forwarded to 10 friends" if they "need a hug, love you, you love them back, want to prevent Corona, bring Moshiach, or have awareness for this or the other cause." Rolling Eyes

I have a couple of friends who are serial offenders, and I don't have the heart to tell them to quit it. As far as I know, this may be their only hobby right now.

I just hope they don't take offence when I don't "forward it back" to "show them how much I care."

Banging head

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:07 pm
can your dh help with some of the emails?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
My kids are in online school all the time, but one thing I have done is set up a new email address JUST for school communications, and direct all teachers and admins to only email me there. (I even set up a filter in Gmail to forward all emails from those email addresses to my other account.)

Think "AmotherFamilySchoolCommunication@gmail.com".

That way I don't have to sort through ALL of my emails to get the test/homework/etc. emails. It's still a crazy flood, but somewhat more manageable.

this is really good advice, thank you!
As much as I am finding it overwhelming, I am grateful to the school and teachers for all the work they are putting into this. Its a joy to watch my kids be engaged with their teachers and class. I enjoy the torah being leaned on my home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:16 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
can your dh help with some of the emails?

No. He gets all the same email as me.

The bottom line is that I just find it interesting how suddenly some people have so much time on their hands while others suddenly are overwhelmed.
For example I was listening to a shiur on Torah anytime today (while folding laundry) and the person was saying, "Usually we have to race through learning the haggada, but now we have plenty of time, so we will learn the haggada in depth. " And I couldn't help but think -Speak for yourslef! This Maggid shiur is usually a menahel in a yeshiva, so of course he has nothing to do now (I assume all kids are married), so he has plenty of time to sit and learn the haggadah. But don't assume the same for everyone else!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:09 pm
I am going to sound very unappreciative but really overall I am very happy with my kids schools!! I know they are trying but OP I feel your pain. One email is never enough my kids schools are constantly correcting something and updating stuff so the emails are endless. Plus my kids are in three different schools. It is very hard to keep up and I’m pretty organized!! It’s also hard because they aren’t sending updates til the am so I can’t plan computer usage until the am at the same time I am TRYING to work.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:36 pm
I have the same, OP, plus dh helpfully likes to forward me any email he thinks I should know about (even though we're on the same mailing lists) so my inbox looks like this:

TONIGHT! Divrei Chizuk in Trying Times
FWD: TONIGHT! Divrei Chizuk in Trying Times

Important info about lunch pickup
FWD: Important info about lunch pickup

Correction: NEW lunch pickup info
FWD: Correction: NEW lunch pickup info

All. Day. Long.

boysrus

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I have the same, OP, plus dh helpfully likes to forward me any email he thinks I should know about (even though we're on the same mailing lists) so my inbox looks like this:

TONIGHT! Divrei Chizuk in Trying Times
FWD: TONIGHT! Divrei Chizuk in Trying Times

Important info about lunch pickup
FWD: Important info about lunch pickup

Correction: NEW lunch pickup info
FWD: Correction: NEW lunch pickup info

All. Day. Long.

LOL! SO FUNNY! my dh does the same too, thats what my inbox looks like! Smile you gotta laugh and smile otherwise it will make you cry if you get overwhelmed by it! Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:21 am
I think all husbands are basically the same...😊

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:23 am
Me too!
My brain is exploding from teh flow of info
Shabbos was a mechaya Very Happy. Looking fwd to it again!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics