Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
3 day yom tov

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:34 am
Shabbos is impossibly long and that's one day. We can't do anything. My adhd child hates board games and card games. Now we can't even go to the park or see people for playdates. I have no idea how I'm gonna survive these 3 days. Usually on shabbos that's the only day they really play with their toys and games but because schools have been closed, they're sick of everything. Even if we go outside for a couple hours, the days are 15 hours long each since the kids get up so early. How on earth am I going to survive?? There is literally nothing to do. No play dates. No parks. Please please give advice on how to survive pesach

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:43 am
Give him 4 cups of wine? Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

{{{hugs}}} That must be so hard. I can't even imagine. What does he like to do? Is there any way you can adapt his interests to a yom tov compliant pastime?

If he is on meds for ADD, this is NOT the time to take a break from them. Keep him on a regular schedule.

Hatzlocha. This too shall pass. If all else fails, have an extra 4 cups of wine for yourself.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:09 am
Sounds like he needs ways to run around. Here are a few indoor ideas. They require your attention, but hey, what else is there going on? Very Happy

- Make an obstacle course, with things to crawl under, balance over, jump onto. See what's his best time out of 3 attempts. You can be part of it! Kids love climbing on or around their parents!

- Make an indoor scavenger hunt (list will have to be prepared ahead of time). Have a small prize for completing it.

- Cheer him while he jumps rope, runs up and down stairs if your home has any.

- Make games. Have him lie on his back, put a ball by his feet, and a garbage can or pan by his head. Have him pick up the ball with his feet, bring his feet over his head, and make a basket. Or roll a ball across a table, and give him something to catch it in.

- If you have the right size and weight of chairs, you can set up a Chinese jump rope, and teach him how to do it.

- Use a soft indoor ball for a challenging game of catch. My DS likes to see if he can do better than 90 out of 100.

- Think about quiet activities, too. A good puzzle, board game, or book to read aloud together.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:21 am
Will he sleep extra if he is up late for the sedarim?

I don't know if this will help your kid, but mine is helped when we open a window. I can't explain it, but just feeling the outside air on him helps, even if it is cold. Also, if you don't have an excercise ball and can afford to buy one and are in the US, I believe there is time to get one through Amazon. We found this to be a big help. It can be his chair sometimes, which provides a lot of input, and is just generally a way to move in many ways while indoors.

Also, I don't know how old he is. Is he at an age where he can be put in charge of running a short activity for his siblings, the family, etc? If you let him brainstorm, you might be surprised what you come up with. An example might be Scenes from a Hat (or bag), either Pesach related or not. We have had pyramid (really any structure) building competitions or collaborations- tallest in a time wins, or most blocks, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:23 am
Get some old sheets or tablecloths, and let him make a fort with the sofa cushions and dining room chairs. That one is always a winner.

I used to babysit a rambunctious bunch of kids who fought all the time, and as soon as I said "build a fort" they all cooperated and played nicely for hours!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)