Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
KRIAS SHEMA AL HAMITTAH

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:20 pm
How much do you say ?@ the end if the day im done. Ready to fall into be I see the long adult version and give up. Can I say the kids version. Is there guidance for woman to only certain paragraphs.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:24 pm
Honestly? It takes 5 minutes. Time yourself.

But also honestly? I say the 3 paragraphs of shema, hamalach, and the pesukim that you say 3x (I figure that if you're supposed to say it 3x, it must be important). Then adon olam and go to sleep.

I never say the bracha of hamapil b/c I always want to talk after (even though I never do). But apparently that's the most important part of the shema al hamittah.

I made up my own rules.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:25 pm
There is no chiyuv for women to say the full thing, as far as I know. I usually say the kids' version myself. (Plus Hamapil.)

However, most of Kriyas Shema She'al Hamita was instituted for shemirah, protection; so nowadays would seem a good time to try to say more of it.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:27 pm
It's actually the only thing I manage to say. And I don't say the bracha of hamapil because there is always someone that wants to talk to me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:28 pm
What u s6au sounds managible in my siddur its like 3 pages and im nodding off no kavanah

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:16 pm
I recently undertook a commitment to recite it right after clearing away from dinner.
Come bedtime, the words blur on the page...

It's working well so far, and I hope I can sustain this.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I recently undertook a commitment to recite it right after clearing away from dinner.

Wonderful idea! I personally need to work on clearing away after dinner every night.
I’m waiting for someone to write that they fall asleep before they start krias shema. I don’t want to be first.
Amother for obvious reasons.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:30 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

What a great idea... Thanks

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:33 am
Can you say it minus hamapil before bedtime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics