Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can we host our 65 yr old corona parents for Pesach?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:52 am
Just curious, we will be asking doctors. If they are both sick now, can we have them for yt?

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:20 am
Why even post the question here?

Some people will say sure, everyone's overreacting, go for it.

See people will say, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?! There isn't hard evidence for how long you're contagious, some people experience double peaks, you are shedding the virus for some indeterminate length of time after you feel better, and therefore, they could get other people sick, directly or indirectly.

Ask the doctors, ask your rav.

Don't waste the time looking for an answer here. When it comes to COVID19, it's 10 Jews, 19 opinions.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:31 am
Ask doctor I called my local health dept and got no helpm

fleetwood

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:33 am
Nope!. We aren't even hosting our non corona parents this year. Everyone needs to stay home!

groovy1224

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:19 am
It they both tested positive, then I would host them pesach time. Speak to your own doctor of course but mine said once you are 2 weeks past the onset of symptoms and are 72 hours symptom free you are no longer contagious, and can't get it again.

If they haven't been tested though, I wouldn't risk it because as much as you might be pretty sure they have it, it might be something else and they could still be vulnerable to it.

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:46 am
You can get reinfected.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:31 am
I would host. you never lose out by doing kibud av veaim

freilich

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:48 am
sequoia wrote:
You can get reinfected.

I'm wondering about this too. Do you have a reputable source?

21young

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:53 am
freilich wrote:

Does anyone have a reputable source for anything? The answer to all these questions will be, no one knows, the virus is too new. So do what’s right and let everyone stay home, are you willing to risk the alternative?

wantavaca

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:55 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I would host. you never lose out by doing kibud av veaim

Unless they die (god forbid)

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:56 am
My grandfather in his 70's just got over Corona and his doctor said he's good too go. He can leave the house to go to the grocery and he can have his kids for yom tov.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just curious, we will be asking doctors. If they are both sick now, can we have them for yt?

Are you asking whether they will test negative by the time YT rolls around, and if so, if you can have them over?

Or whether you can host them if they are still positive? (I think we would all agree that the answer is NO, unless you all have coronavirus as well).

freilich

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:53 am
21young wrote:
Does anyone have a reputable source for anything? The answer to all these questions will be, no one knows, the virus is too new. So do what’s right and let everyone stay home, are you willing to risk the alternative?

My question was to Sequoia. I wasn’t asking about hosting. I really want to know if she has a reputable source. She made a statement that can affect us all. So I wanted to know if there is backup to that.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:03 am
wantavaca wrote:
Unless they die (god forbid)

Why oh why do you have to be so harsh??? OP asked a legitimate question.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:05 am
fleetwood wrote:
Nope!. We aren't even hosting our non corona parents this year. Everyone needs to stay home!

This is why she should ask a doctor. If they're 72 hours symptom free, they should be able to go. I'd rather host if I know they already had Corona and are over it, than if they didn't have Corona.

wantavaca

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Why oh why do you have to be so harsh??? OP asked a legitimate question.

I’m responding to the poster who claims that kibbud av vaeim involves possibly exposing elderly parents to a deadly virus. I don’t think I was harsh ENOUGH

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:13 am
wantavaca wrote:
I’m responding to the poster who claims that kibbud av vaeim involves possibly exposing elderly parents to a deadly virus. I don’t think I was harsh ENOUGH

Her parents currently have the virus, so they're not being exposed by going.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:15 am
freilich wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...../amp/

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:17 am
freilich wrote:

I was told by a medical professional that no one knows. There were reports of people who supposedly contracted the virus twice. It's possible that the negative test, indicating they had recovered, was faulty. So, they were still sick from the first time and did not catch it twice.

Alternatively, the virus mutated and they did catch it a second time. (To be clear, the virus has definitely mutated and there are at least 2 known strains.)

So medical professionals are not comfortable telling people that they absolutely have immunity just because they tested positive.

freilich

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/amp/

Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics