Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to become an insurance agent

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:25 am
I have a master’s degree and am in my mid-40s. I’m looking to switch from teaching to insurance. Would love any advice you might have. My financial situation is not good because I’m not salaried and it looks like my school may not reopen this year. 😢

forgetit

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:00 am
Why insurance? And what type of insurance? Are you super fantastic at networking, and have a robust network? Are you sure your circles aren't flooded with insurance agents in the particular type of insurance you want to go into? Unless you work for an agency which does amazing advertising and has a flow of incoming sales for you to act on, you really need that network.
More importantly, the same reason schools aren't open is the same reason most types of insurance are not exactly a high commodity right now.
What are your other options?
All of that said, this is my understanding based on info I have from people in insurance now. Not personal experience. Maybe speak to someone in the industry to get a broader view.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:03 am
what state are you in?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:14 am
There is a licensing procedure to become an insurance agent but it is not particularly difficult. Obviously you would have no difficulty passing it.

However insurance is essentially selling. Being good at sales is a critical sale and is far more important than *knowing* the product although obviously one needs to know the product. It would probably be a difficult field to enter into if you have a need for immediate money because even someone who becomes successful would have little money at the beginning while he/she builds up their client list.

There are positions working FOR insurance companies which rely more on the kind of intellectual skills you probably have and not at all on sales skills. I am not saying you don't have the ability to be a good sales person but that's up to you to determine since sales for many people is quite hard if they don't have the right kind of personality.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:24 am
I'm good at understanding people and listening to them. I think I would be good at sales because I'm good at relationship-building and hearing what people aren't saying. However, I don't have a strong network of contacts and I'm not a networky type of person. I'm an introvert.

I live in Ohio.

forgetit

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm good at understanding people and listening to them. I think I would be good at sales because I'm good at relationship-building and hearing what people aren't saying. However, I don't have a strong network of contacts and I'm not a networky type of person. I'm an introvert.

I live in Ohio.

From what you described, I think you'd be fantastic for in-house position for incoming sales or account management. HR is another great option.
Good Luck!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I live in Ohio.

https://www.kaplanfinancial.co.....ments

nelliesmellie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 2:42 pm
My husband works in life insurance statistics, modeling etc. fortunately/unfortunately after a pandemic the market opens wide (pple are not used to seeing their peers die and when they do they want insurance) go for it if it’s something you think you will enjoy. I’m considering it myself.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 3:08 pm
My husband works in insurance, he just had to take a class and then a test to get licensed. He really enjoys it and there are so many options as far as what type of insurance. It's definitely worth looking into. Even if you live in one state you can get licensed in other states and that would just widen what you'd be able to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics