Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My only child toddler is bored out of his mind
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 11:08 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Not easy to do with little kids...

It's not easy to create a gourmet meal and keep the kitchen clean, but of course it's possible - and fun - to cook with little ones. They love to scoop out ingredients and pour them into a bowl. And you know what? It's ok if they crack a couple of eggs onto the floor. They will be happy to help clean up if you give them paper towels or a rag.

Same with cleaning. They love making beds and sorting laundry. Don't assume that the job has to be done quickly or perfectly. Let it be a learning experience. What color is this shirt? Whose socks are these? Etc.

mirror

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:58 am
They love playing with cookie dough and cookie cutters.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:21 am
I spent so much time reading to my kids at that age. They sat still if I was constantly turning pages in picture books. ok, I'll read you these 5 books and then we'll do play doh! ok, 5 more books and then we're going to color and do stickers! ok, 5 more books and then we're playing outside! I called that the cruise director stage--- I was their cruise director--- not that we were cruising anywhere fast! lol.

thegiver

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:26 am
I thought under 2 is 0 screentime. An investment in ur childS future attention span and health. Leave him with magnatiles. Without screen time he will know how to entertain himself.

Angel

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:09 am
Feel for all of u, am in same boat.
Mine doesnt look at books or coloring books for more than 5 min.
I found anything messy works. Playdough...
Loves making pizza together.
Dont forget the extra long baths.

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:48 am
Chop a salad together.

Yoga.

Have him move the laundry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:01 am
thegiver wrote:
I thought under 2 is 0 screentime. An investment in ur childS future attention span and health. Leave him with magnatiles. Without screen time he will know how to entertain himself.

I leave him with Magna tiles and other toys many times. I’ve bought so many. He throws them and then leaves them. No interest. I sit with him to do many activities and he just doesn’t like it.

I wish he didn’t watch at all but I think it’s better for his and my sanity to have some. That’s my investment.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:05 am
I found that the more you're busy entertaining kids, the more entertainment they demand. They learn and get used to not being able to entertain themselves and play on their own. Let him do his own thing, even if he makes a mess. Lock up cabinets and closets and whatever you don't want him to touch and let him unpack and play with whatever he wants. If he gets used to always have to be entertained, he won't know how to play on his own.

Chavas

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:22 am
Go for walks.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:24 am
Chavas wrote:
Go for walks.

This. It's very important to go out for fresh air every day. Let him run around outside while practicing social distancing.

behappy2

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:10 pm
get comfortable with him being bored. its a good thing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:48 pm
I do go out for an hour or two every day. Some days it rains all day or is really cold so we can't stay out so long. There are another 8 hours to fill. And my downstairs neighbors (with no kids) keep complaining about the noise he makes when he pushes his doll carriage etc. So I have to worry about keeping his quiet during all this. When he's bored he pushes the carriage or his riding toy and then they complain that they're trying to work. I'm trying to live!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics