Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working full time - kids home

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:57 pm
I’m working full time from home. My boss expects the same output. Quiet phone calls(non Jewish company).
DH is still working full time out of home 8-8
6 young kids are home in A small house.
I let my cleaning lady go.

Help!!!

I’m super greatful for our jobs. Thank you Hashem!

I’m just wondering if anyone can commiserate or in the same position of working and balancing home schooling and entertainment.

Work is getting done
House is livable (kind of)
Kids are happy
My DH helps as much as he can
Pesach cleaning is non existent - I’m just trying to have clean underwear

I just feel it can’t last but it sounds like it will be like this for months.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:01 am
can you work during younger kid naptimes and after bedtime more than during traditional work hours or does the TIMING of your work matter as much as the output?

Can the oldest child (hopefully a teen?) be paid or bribed to keep everyone on schedule and you do a 5 minute check once per hour for hugs and encouragement? Have a written schedule of who does what schoolwork when and who has zoom classes when and when creative play time is and when arts and crafts time is and when outside time is, etc?

If your hours matter, can you take a 30 to 60 minute lunch break? You can get a lot of kid stuff done during that time making sure you know where everyone is on schoolwork, making sure everyone has eaten breakfast and davened and had lunch, etc.

I have more questions than advice, but food for thought. I'm self employed and have allowed myself to basically grind to a halt because my kids are VERY high need, but as this goes on for longer and longer I have to put in more income producing effort----- but only after bedtime. yay.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:54 pm
Thank you so much for taking the time to type that out.

BH my kids are helping so nicely. They are wonderful.

My boss is just piling on work. Asking for status updates multiple timed a day. (I think he has more time now that he is home) I have to speak to coworkers to get answers. Maybe he wants to make sure I’m wotking considering my home life.
I just keep on hearing how others are helping their kids with school work.
Or doing activities
Or cleaning for pesach
And I’m doung nothing. Just giving my kids jobs and working.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to type that out.

BH my kids are helping so nicely. They are wonderful.

My boss is just piling on work. Asking for status updates multiple timed a day. (I think he has more time now that he is home) I have to speak to coworkers to get answers. Maybe he wants to make sure I’m wotking considering my home life.
I just keep on hearing how others are helping their kids with school work.
Or doing activities
Or cleaning for pesach
And I’m doung nothing. Just giving my kids jobs and working.

You are tons. All you should be doing now. If your kids are reasonably happy and you’re not collapsing while working ft with them home. You deserve a trophy.

Pesach can and iyh be made in two days. Either the ones closer to or Sunday’s.

forgetit

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:01 pm
OP, working at home with kids is not just a Jewish problem. If you look at LinkedIn, you'll see plenty of posts about non-Jews with 1 or 2 kids talking about how they aren't keeping their regular working hours, and they ARE having their kids audible in the background at times. I think your boss needs to know and understand that this is reality globally. I understand you don't want to compromise your standing at the firm, but if you feel that things are unfair, or you need some leeway, say so in a polite, reasonable manner.
PS. My kids are in similar position. They are being so good about it, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:12 pm
Thank you everyone.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:20 pm
Hats off to you. I haven't figured it out. I get in some time in the evening and that's it. If this goes past pesach.. I honestly don't know.

Re pesach. According to my rav, no need to scrub or anything like that. No need for cleaning chumros this year. Sweeping is enough. Crumbs are not an issue. No need to move furniture. No need to clean what you're locking up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics