Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are men more likely to get the virus?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:57 am
Is it just what I am seeing, are men and pregnant women more likely to contract the virus?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it just what I am seeing, are men and pregnant women more likely to contract the virus?

im 9m pregnany. got it 2 weeks ago and only now is my husband coming down with it.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:11 am
I read somewhere that womens higher level of estrogen appears to give them some level of protection. Not sure how true this is, and any effect would taper off by the time a women was in her mid to late forties.

Pregnant women have a slightly reduced immune system, which would make them more at risk.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:34 am
I read pregnant woman
Certain blood types
People over a certain age
Look up Matilda’s law

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:20 am
You would think that with how overworked and exhausted we are all the time, that our immune systems would be lower. Being a superwoman has it's disadvantages.

Not to say that men don't work themselves to pieces too. Maybe men handle stress worse than we do.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:43 am
From what I’ve seen, men are not necessarily more likely to get the virus, but they are more likely to die of it. Explanation I’ve seen is that the X chromosome has some disease fighting characteristics, so women have an advantage by virtue of possessing two Xs. (All this is preliminary, and not well verified and/or understood. . . )

enneamom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:34 am
I feel like men have more brute strength, but women have better stamina and survival instinct

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:51 am
There is not enough verified data to determine risk factors. Young people with no pre-existing underlying conditions are getting very ill and dying. A 12 year old girl who had no risk factors just died in California yesterday.

From what I read, the statistics regarding men came from countries in which a very high percentage of men smoke - I.e. China. In China a LOT of men smoke and almost no woman smoke. This seems to be a factor in some of the other Asian countries which had a lot of cases before the USA.

All that can be said is that it appears that having lung problems of some kind are a factor in terms of the significance of the disease if one gets it. However, it is not the ONLY factor as people with no risk factors are dying or becoming extremely ill as well.

mamma llama

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:15 pm
enneamom wrote:
I feel like men have more brute strength, but women have better stamina and survival instinct

True. I remember learning that's why it's the woman who gives birth. The man would not be able to withstand the labor.

mamma llama

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Not to say that men don't work themselves to pieces too. Maybe men handle stress worse than we do.

Who remembers Dina Neuman's clean bill article in the Ami Living: "The Man Flu"?
It was about how a man and woman can have the same illness, but the woman has to keep on moving while the man is sure he's dying.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:24 pm
enneamom wrote:

Interestingly, female premature babies do better than males on average.

clowny

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:46 pm
There was a list circling yesterday on WhatsApp of names we should be mispallel for that need a refuah due to covid-19.
It was a list of 70 names of which 8 were women.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
There is not enough verified data to determine risk factors. Young people with no pre-existing underlying conditions are getting very ill and dying. A 12 year old girl who had no risk factors just died in California yesterday.

From what I read, the statistics regarding men came from countries in which a very high percentage of men smoke - I.e. China. In China a LOT of men smoke and almost no woman smoke. This seems to be a factor in some of the other Asian countries which had a lot of cases before the USA.

All that can be said is that it appears that having lung problems of some kind are a factor in terms of the significance of the disease if one gets it. However, it is not the ONLY factor as people with no risk factors are dying or becoming extremely ill as well.

The vast vast majority of young people without underlying conditions have mild to moderate symptoms of coronavirus, especially if they are female, whether or not they are pregnant.

Covid fatalities in men are higher in all countries, and not just a little higher- significantly higher. Women may be protected by female hormones, by double x chromosome, who knows at this point. But those are some possible theories.

I don't think a 12 year old girl died in Cali from corona yesterday- wasn't it a teen boy? And they are saying it is a complicated case and there are other possible causes of death that are being investigated.

Young children for the most part do fine with this virus. One theory is that at a young age, a certain cell receptor is undeveloped and the virus cannot really infiltrate cells like it can in adults.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:06 pm
I'm general, men get hit worse with colds. Has your husband ever had a cold and just lay in bed kvetching and/or totally out of commission? And you're like "oh c'mon it's just a cold"
Same idea here.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:07 pm
That's part of the reason why South Korea is doing so well- most of their infected were women.

Women have a more "intelligent" immune system because of birthing children (need to learn to recognize things etc) scientifically speaking.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I'm general, men get hit worse with colds. Has your husband ever had a cold and just lay in bed kvetching and/or totally out of commission? And you're like "oh c'mon it's just a cold"
Same idea here.

No, not my husband....
But men are actually dying of covid about at a 50 percent or higher rate than women are.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
That's part of the reason why South Korea is doing so well- most of their infected were women.

Women have a more "intelligent" immune system because of birthing children (need to learn to recognize things etc) scientifically speaking.

Is that a real thing?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:47 pm
Nobody knows why. Could be because of estrogen levels, could be because men have bigger lungs.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Same idea here.

If anything, this shows that he was right all along.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:56 pm
mamma llama wrote:
True. I remember learning that's why it's the woman who gives birth. The man would not be able to withstand the labor.

Being of the (word that corrects to "relations") that bears children is what makes a person or animal female, so a male by definition cannot give birth, unless you count a seahorse.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics