Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone else pushing off mikvah indefinitely?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
definitely women's mikvahs. Men's mikvaot have been closed for a while now.

Coronavirus can incubate for up to three weeks, and it takes about 6 weeks to recover. They interviewed fifty current patients, all of whom must have been infected at least a week ago, some of whom may have been infected almost a month ago.

Men's mikvaot were certainly open a couple weeks ago, depending on location.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
How can they conclude with certainty where a person contracted the virus? Even if he/she went to a mikvah, there are still many other possible exposures that could have been responsible for the transmission.

They can't conclude with certainty, but the paths of enough coronavirus patients have been published, and people who know they were in those locations at the same time have gone into quarantine. So, when asked, most people can answer the question of "where were you exposed" with relative certainty.
Of course there are asymptomatic carriers who never develop symptoms or are diagnosed. But those who are diagnosed, we mostly know where they went.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont live that way. I dont ask rabbis questions like this. I learned that if a husband and wife both agree that pushing off is what they want to do, then its fine. I learned that with my kallah teacher.
I am not going to go to the mikvah if a rabbi tells me to even if medically I feel that I cant.

So don't go. I mean seriously, if you're not going to ask a rabbi about it why would you ask a bunch of random people on the internet? If you don't feel comfortable going and your husband agrees then just don't go. No one would even know if you didn't feel the need to make a big spectacle out of it on the internet. What exactly are you trying to get out of this?

batya315

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:42 am
I'm pushing off now for people like you... I have a cough and wouldn't want to take the chance of contaminating anyone.
Any cluewhen I'm considered in the clear? ( never mind without ever confirming it's corona...)

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont live that way. I dont ask rabbis questions like this. I learned that if a husband and wife both agree that pushing off is what they want to do, then its fine. I learned that with my kallah teacher.
I am not going to go to the mikvah if a rabbi tells me to even if medically I feel that I cant.

RIGHT! No one should bash you for this.

Many years ago I went to Rav Sheinberg ztz”l because a rav told me not to do something personal (not Halacha) & I didn’t feel right about it.

Rav Sheinberg told me in these words: “It’s your life!”

Those words are still resounding in my ears and totally changed my outlook about asking questions to a rav.

At the end of the day YOU are the one that will face the consequences of your decision, and there’s no point in just naively saying “the Rav told me...”

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
So don't go. I mean seriously, if you're not going to ask a rabbi about it why would you ask a bunch of random people on the internet? If you don't feel comfortable going and your husband agrees then just don't go. No one would even know if you didn't feel the need to make a big spectacle out of it on the internet. What exactly are you trying to get out of this?

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
Spectacle? Really? It's a discussion about something that concerns a lot of women. You aren't interested, avert your eyes from the 'spectacle'.
Imamother is a place to discuss. If we all just wanted to ask our rabbis and shut up after, we wouldn't be here.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:38 pm
Of course it is possible that some people got the virus from going to the mikvah, PRIOR to the implementation of the new protocols.

However, I'd be pretty shocked to hear that anyone got it from going to mikvah WITH all of the safeguards in place. That would have to be a 1 in a million chance.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I wasnt asking women here what I should do. My subject line says "anyone else" as in I was wondering if anyone was doing what I plan to do.
I wasnt trying to make a spectacle, just to hear what other women are doing if they will be pushing off or not.
What am I trying to get at? Nothing, just a conversation.
if this thread bothered you so much, why did you keep on answering?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Of course it is possible that some people got the virus from going to the mikvah, PRIOR to the implementation of the new protocols.

However, I'd be pretty shocked to hear that anyone got it from going to mikvah WITH all of the safeguards in place. That would have to be a 1 in a million chance.

No one said the cases were recent. We don't know when these people contracted coronavirus. Additionally, men's mikvaot were still open in some areas, and NOT disinfecting, until less than a week ago.

You also have to assume that this observational "study" was not done in a single day, and took approximately a week. So count a week back from yesterday, before you even start thinking of incubation period or how long people can be sick.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:42 pm
To be honest I'm not afraid of getting the virus by going to the mikvah, I'm more worried about giving it over to others. I wasnt feeling well on and off the for the past 2 weeks, so I'm pushing it off until I know I'm 100% better. But still, we dont know how long we're contagious for. And my husband has no corona symptoms and I'm worried I'll give it over to him.
But I'm not ready to be a niddah indefinitely. It's a dilemma.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:43 pm
Here's another sentence from the article in the Jerusalem Post of 3/24/20. This answers how the disease could be transmitted and traced to a mikvah. "The question" referred to is whether a woman should go to a mikva if the hygiene of the mikva cannot be confirmed.

"The question became more acute this week, after it emerged that a woman who had been infected with coronavirus but was asymptomatic immersed in a public mikveh in Efrat, meaning that other women who had immersed there had to go into quarantine."

Someone wrote a page or two upstream in this discussion that two mikvahs have been closed in Israel. I haven't read that anywhere. Please post a link if you can find that.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
To be honest I'm not afraid of getting the virus by going to the mikvah, I'm more worried about giving it over to others. I wasnt feeling well on and off the for the past 2 weeks, so I'm pushing it off until I know I'm 100% better. But still, we dont know how long we're contagious for. And my husband has no corona symptoms and I'm worried I'll give it over to him.
But I'm not ready to be a niddah indefinitely. It's a dilemma.

You can't give any virus to another person by immersing in chlorinated water. The chlorine, even in a lesser concentration than you'll find in the mikvah, will kill any virus.

To minimize chances of passing on any potential virus, you can follow all of the extreme measures suggested here: Wear gloves, wear a mask, don't touch any surfaces, put your clothing into a bag and not on any surfaces, bring your own robe with its own bag, wipe down anything you touch with a clorox wipe, etc.

This virus is easily transmissible, but it's not magic or a mystery. It has to be transferred from a person either directly to another person (which is why you maintain distance and wear a mask); or to another surface where the virus can survive long enough for another person to touch it, who must then touch an orifice which allows the virus to enter before the virus dies on their hands (which is why you prevent yourself or your clothing from touching surfaces).

ETA: However, I believe that in an excess of caution, JOWMA says you must be asymptomatic for a certain amount of time before using the mikvah. Following this, and any other protocols, is essential for keeping our mikvaos safe.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics