Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
ISO Shabbos suggestions please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:34 pm
Ok, so spouse is at home and quarantined as of last night. We are trying to figure out what Shabbos meals are going to look like. He can't eat with us I assume, as he's supposed to be in a room on his own as much as humanly possible. I was thinking I could feed him separately and then he could sort of join us by sitting on a chair in his room with a mask on but the door open so he could join us at a distance with divrei Torah, zemiros, etc.

Thoughts? Other ideas? He's the only one currently ill if that affects your answer.

Thanks

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:36 pm
Can't you put him in a different wing? Doesn't everyone have a quarantine wing? 🤔

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:38 pm
Seriously, 6 feet apart, with a mask, and you're okay. But he should eat in plastic utensils including cup. And don't forget that bathrooms pass germs so wipe down all faucets and all doorknobs and lightswitches, too

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:39 pm
We are in a tiny tiny apartment. We can do what we can do. The horse is out of the barn. We eat together. Watch out for psychological impact on your husband of you isolate him too much.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:41 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
We are in a tiny tiny apartment. We can do what we can do. The horse is out of the barn. We eat together. Watch out for psychological impact on your husband of you isolate him too much.

Yea I’m not into the whole quarantine from the rest of the family. Totally do not think it’s realistic. If one family member was exposed, you all were.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:43 pm
I figured once one was exposed we all were and I’d rather keep the germs moving through the house quickly so we could all quarantine together and then move on with life instead of a month of rolling quarantines

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

Totally get that. So far he's spending most of his time sleeping, so no worries yet. I'm in and out of the bedroom he's in several times a day, plus we've been leaving the bedroom door open a bit so he can hear what's going on and comment back if he's up to it.

But yeah, I called the Doctor last night to clarify the whole quarantine thing, because , um, yeah, where was I supposed to sleep? Was same bedroom ok? How quarantined where we supposed to be? The doctor basically said you do what you can, that you don't have to start locking anyone in closets to keep them away from everyone. Wipe things down in the bathroom (yes, lol, we only have the one - where do the health departments all get the idea we have a spare just for those who are sick to use?) after he uses it, someone other than him gets him his food from the kitchen, he wears a mask and gloves for when he has to leave his room, etc.

But yes, we forgot to build a mansion before this started!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:28 pm
What if I feed him on a tray in his room (with door open) at same time as others eat at a distance from him at the table? He would probably be a good 12 feet away from anyone else. Would that be considered ok, even though he wouldn't be able to use the mask while eating?

My daughters had something already and got over it, but one of them was before all this exploded and we just had her checked for strep, was negative, all figured it was some random bug, and that was it. Next kid caught it couple of days after first one was done with it, by then everyone was more aware, that one told to stay home till 3 days fever free. Two days after she was allowed out, husband came home from work with a fever. Under newest guidelines, he's being told to stay home at least 14 days, longer if he's still feeling lousy. No one's been tested, because tests are too scarce for general use. Thankfully my doctor allows the rest of us - as long as symptom free - to go to the pharmacy, etc as long as we are wearing masks and gloves.

So yes, I understand the idea of round and round we go :-)

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:06 pm
Honestly you’re wasting your energy. Just all quarantine together.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:37 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Can't you put him in a different wing? Doesn't everyone have a quarantine wing? 🤔

Really they recommend anyone sick be in their own room and bathroom.
Everyone else in home 14 days.
This was endorsed in Israel. I’m America not so much.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:27 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Really they recommend anyone sick be in their own room and bathroom.
Everyone else in home 14 days.
This was endorsed in Israel. I’m America not so much.

I have no problem with the concept, we just can't pull it off! In a pinch I could sleep upright in the living room (on a comfy chair with my legs on a stepstool) but I feel like we've been in the same room while it was brewing in his system, so the odds are I'm already exposed. Plus I'd like to sleep in an actual bed ;-)

As for bathrooms - nope, we just have the one. Basically we're just spritzing it down with bleach cleaners multiple times a day.

But, yes - in theory, I also heard that it's better to keep the ill person completely separate.

Aylat

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 6:14 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Yea I’m not into the whole quarantine from the rest of the family. Totally do not think it’s realistic. If one family member was exposed, you all were.

If the family member does not quarantine from rest of the family, then the whole family has to be in quarantine. No one goes out, not to shop for food, not to the doctor, not to work, not to take out the rubbish.

Metukah

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 6:41 am
Aylat wrote:
If the family member does not quarantine from rest of the family, then the whole family has to be in quarantine. No one goes out, not to shop for food, not to the doctor, not to work, not to take out the rubbish.

Exactly this!!

Its kind of a moot point to have dh sit in his room and not come to the shabbos table, but, you who sleeps in the same room, sits at the shabbos table with the rest of the family.

Its very kind of your doctor to allow you to go out, but this isn't a differing halachic opinion, its a matter of pikuach nefesh. If you live with him in the house and he is sick, you probably all caught the virus (whether as carriers or the actual virus), probably before he knew he was sick. The 2 weeks quarantine for everyone in the household is neither optional nor us it up to your doctor. That is the only way to stop the spread and flatten the curve

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 8:53 am
According to regulations in Israel any who was exposed must completely isolate from the rest of the family. Sleep in a separate room if possible use a separate bathroom or disinfect after every use. Eat separately. Double bag trash, separate the laundry etc. if you choose to quarantine the entire family that means not leaving the house at all. It’s not technically allowed here, but I think many people choose to do this if one parent is exposed (exposed is very broad here - meaning taking the same bus being in a shop at the same time, attending Minyan together, with social isolation in place for 14 days this is happening less).

Hillery

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 9:12 am
Is it even possible to quarantine one family member (especially a spouse) from the rest of the family in a regular sized apartment? And what would be the point, seeing as the infected person would have been contagious several days before they showed symptoms?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 9:20 am
I am not the CDC, but I think it would be OK for him to eat from a tray at a maximum distance.

Can you open the bedroom window, and put a fan in facing out? It will help draw the air away from the rest of the apartment.

Everyone has to calculate their own risk for themselves, as far as in-home quarantine goes.

Obviously, you have to follow the rules to the letter and take maximum precautions when you leave the house, but inside - you do what you gotta do.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 9:43 am
Aylat wrote:

Not to take out the rubbish? What if you're living in a less urban setting? Not like an acre for each lot but more than enough room between houses?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics