Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
3 days?
1  2  Next

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:25 pm
A few posters write on different threads that a person who has symptoms needs to quarantine for 72 hours after symptoms go away. No one has posted a source.

Can anyone tell me where they're getting this info from? We're all cooped up in quarantine, because of one child whose symptoms are gone.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:26 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
A few posters write on different threads that a person who has symptoms needs to quarantine for 72 hours after symptoms go away. No one has posted a source.

Can anyone tell me where they're getting this info from? We're all cooped up in quarantine, because of one child whose symptoms are gone.

recommendation is for the family to quarentine for 14 days. Once everyone has had symptoms or if 14 days go by with no infection in anyone (IYH the case), then I believe you can wait 3 days.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:27 pm
I spoke to a doctor who told me 3 days with no fever and you're good to go if it's been at least 7 days from onset of symptoms.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:31 pm
My relative who works in a hospital and likely has it was told he needs to be at least 7 days free of symptoms or a minimum of 14 days quarantined if he is symptom free already before the first 7days pass. So whichever is longer, not whichever comes first.
Sorry I hope I explained that right
It could be guidelines for hospital employees are stricter.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I spoke to a doctor who told me 3 days with no fever and you're good to go.

My pediatrician said the same thing. That was a week ago, so I can't promise you that they wouldn't say something different now. Have you tried asking your doctors?

Ok, found this , it's from the CDC, but it's about a week old , don't know if anything's changed -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:35 pm
The 3 days without a fever (and without using a fever-reducer such as Tylenol) is a CDC guideline from March 17th. Must be at least one week from the onset of symptoms.

I do not know whether this has been changed or updated.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:42 pm
Just checked the CDC site and found this:

Quote:
Current CDC guidance for when it is OK to release someone from isolation is made on a case by case basis and includes meeting all of the following requirements:

The patient is free from fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.
The patient is no longer showing symptoms, including cough.
The patient has tested negative on at least two consecutive respiratory specimens collected at least 24 hours apart.

Someone who has been released from isolation is not considered to pose a risk of infection to others.

One problem with this is that there are not enough tests, so many people with coronavirus are never tested.

Link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru.....01096

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:46 pm
Frenchfry wrote:

Dr. Shanik told me this. I don't know that you ALL have to be quarantined if you are asymptomatic. Was told not, but maybe I misunderstood. I asked this on another thread.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:48 pm
Thanks!
That is confusing, because that means that the one who had Covid-19, may be out earlier than others in the house who were exposed, and need to wait 14 days.

Bsimcha

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:51 pm
I believe to should also make a difference who's in a house, if someone had it and recuperated and is cleared to leave, other family members have to wait until 14 days after it wasn't catchy to be cleared to leave.
I see some families not having every member in quarantine when one is sick nd that's where the spread is happening.

Alos, as pointed out, not enough tests to even test and definitely not 2 tests to see if it's over.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I spoke to a doctor who told me 3 days with no fever and you're good to go.

For that one person, but the rest of the family is still quarentined...

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:00 pm
Okay, sooooo, see if you follow my logic....

My son had Covid-19 symptoms on Sunday, after being exposed on Wed to a positive person. He has no fever, but is still coughing.

I had a mild cough on Monday that finished that day.

Am I done tomorrow?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:07 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
Okay, sooooo, see if you follow my logic....

My son had Covid-19 symptoms on Sunday, after being exposed on Wed to a positive person. He has no fever, but is still coughing.

I had a mild cough on Monday that finished that day.

Am I done tomorrow?

Do you have any other mild symptoms? Loss of smell/taste? Headache? Nausea? Diarrhea? Shortness of breath? Tight chest?
Fever & cough arent the only symptoms

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:13 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
Thanks!
That is confusing, because that means that the one who had Covid-19, may be out earlier than others in the house who were exposed, and need to wait 14 days.

Yes because the symptoms can come out a week after being exposed so 14 days for any other family member if one person in the household becomes ill, even if all others seem well at the time of the 1st person's symptoms.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:13 pm
At this point almost all of us have it, and none of us should really be going out at all until the restrictions are lifted.
If you have someone who actually tested positive, they should follow these guidelines. Im not sure if the entire family of every person who has symptoms has to be under such strict quarantine. Bc that means every single person in Brooklyn needs to be under quarantine and you know nice and well that everyone isn't.
Ive been feeling sick off and on since Purim. I started really only getting low grade fever on Friday. Today is the first day I finally didnt need tylenol. I havent left my house since Friday. Gonna wait a few more days til I venture even to the grocery store. I havent been tested. But I'm assuming that anyone who isnt feeling well now likely has it.
Meantime my husband has been running all our errands and even going to work. He's not quarantining himself. And I'm not the boss of him and not gonna tell him what to do. This is how things are.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:14 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
For that one person, but the rest of the family is still quarentined...

We were told 7 days. Most people with it are too ill to go out anyway.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:16 pm
If you do some online research you'll see that no one really knows. Its simply too brand new to know. The cdc may say afyer 72 hrs of no symptoms youre ok, but there were people swabbed after 13 days of no symptoms and were found to be carrying the virus.

Do your own research and you might find reason to err on the side of caution

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:21 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

According to this, if people start waltzing around after 3 days, there will be many unknown people still transmitting the virus

BA

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:56 am
https://files.constantcontact......c.pdf

BA

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:57 am
One who had “direct contact” (“direct contact” includes hugging them or having been within 6 feet of them for approximately 5-10 minutes) with someone who is assumed to be infected with Covid-19 but the infected person had symptoms at the time of contact or developed symptoms within 48 hours of contact: You must quarantine for 14 days from the day of contact. This is regardless of whether the contact developed mild or severe symptoms- as it is only one virus that manifests itself differently in different people- and is capable of causing critical illness in someone who received it from someone with mild illness.

(This guideline admittedly seems counterintuitive- as it allows a Covid-19 positive patient to be free from quarantine before asymptomatic contacts and family members are free. The reason for this is that the infected patient is assumed to no longer be contagious to others 7 days after onset of symptoms; while the asymptomatic family member may be carrying the virus and remain contagious for 14 days from contact).

Family members who live with a Covid 19 patient and have repeated “direct” contact must quarantine for 14 days from the day of last contact with the patient while he was experiencing symptoms. This seems very strict but is the current guideline and must be adhered to.

Those in this category will be in an uncertain state after being released from quarantine- as they will not know if they “had” the virus and were among those who simply did not exhibit symptoms, or if they are still able “get” it. Until widespread testing becomes available, all people in this category will have to treat themselves as susceptible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics