Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What will it take?
1  2  Next

jewwoman

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:02 pm
How many threads have there been so far.

Seriously what will it take for people to listen. Banging head Banging head There are so many sick ppl in our communities. STAY AT HOME! Make ur own pesach and if you end up with matza and cheese to eat only you wont go hungry. Please please stay home. Don't go to family for yomtov you are putting yourself and everyone else at risk.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:02 pm
Thank you!!!

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:06 pm
Honestly I’m planning on it, but it sucks all around.

My parents will be alone.

And I have to make pesach from scratch, in my first trimester Bh, with a toddler and a husband working ft from home.

I also live in a pretty remote place so no conveniences. Will obviously need to use kulas like not toiveling etc but still super hard.

And both my mother and I will have to make pesach meaning double the grocery trips which are the only times either of us venture out at all. And cook double with money that I don’t have....

I get that we have to, because even if I won’t transfer infection, if a lot of us go to each other, infection will inevitably spread... but it sucks.

jewwoman

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:06 am
It definitely sucks. My parents live locally and we cant go to them. We haven't got any money either but we just have to suck it up and do what we have to do. It really really sucks but what choice do we have. I don't want to end up sick or making people around me sick.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:36 am
I'm gonna be totally alone. I'm not going to eat chametz, and I won't use electricity for the first and last days, but that's it. I'm not going to try to read the Seder to myself or do any of the positive mitzvot. ☹️

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:43 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I'm gonna be totally alone. I'm not going to eat chametz, and I won't use electricity for the first and last days, but that's it. I'm not going to try to read the Seder to myself or do any of the positive mitzvot. ☹️

I'm sorry that you will be physically alone. But please, participate in the story of the Jewish people. I have a son who had the Seder alone when he was in the army here in Israel. It was sad, but he came away from the experience with a great appreciation for Pesach as it is normally celebrated, and for those Jews who struggled to have seders when times were tough. If you read the hagadda, you won't be alone on Seder night. You'll be with all of us.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

And I have to make pesach from scratch, in my first trimester Bh, with a toddler and a husband working ft from home.

I also live in a pretty remote place so no conveniences. Will obviously need to use kulas like not toiveling etc but still super hard.

And both my mother and I will have to make pesach meaning double the grocery trips which are the only times either of us venture out at all. And cook double with money that I don’t have....

I get that we have to, because even if I won’t transfer infection, if a lot of us go to each other, infection will inevitably spread... but it sucks.

People are helping older family members by shopping and this is preferable to having everyone shop. Also mothers who can cook but who won't be hosting can safely send food that will be reheated.

trixx

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

It's a huge mitzvah to eat matzah. Are you able to reach out to Chabad for delivery or for help here in affording it if that's the issue?

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:12 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Why not?

Why not do whatever you can?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

My sister and BIL are like that. She never cooks but he does. Every year their friends invited them but now they can't. My sister isn't really motivated to read the hagaddah with just her husband and she can't eat the required amount of anything and is so picky that she will probably spend 8 days eating cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit and coffee. She loves coffee. Four cups of wine, no, but coffee...

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I have a son who had the Seder alone when he was in the army here in Israel.

There's no Seder in the army?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:38 am
All the grocery stores and the like are offering delivery! Take advantage of that! If you have an issue please reach out to one of the Chabads or other chesed organizations near you who are warning people not to go out and to arrange deliveries -- they can help! This is the dark before the dawn!
hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:49 am
My mom is a super-narcissist.
She doesn't care that even though she probably is infected, she will infect others. Her running line is "I feel fine! So what if I cant smell anything? So what if my throat hurts? I'm young. I'll live." And hops on down to the grocery store.
Sad
Dunno what it'll take with her.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
All the grocery stores and the like are offering delivery! Take advantage of that! If you have an issue please reach out to one of the Chabads or other chesed organizations near you who are warning people not to go out and to arrange deliveries -- they can help! This is the dark before the dawn!
hugs and hatzlocha
m

Do ppl that live in ny/ big Jewish cities really not know that other places exist? None of this where I live.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:15 am
southernbubby wrote:
People are helping older family members by shopping and this is preferable to having everyone shop. Also mothers who can cook but who won't be hosting can safely send food that will be reheated.

But we don’t live in the same city.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:27 am
But we don’t live in the same city.

Are there non-Jewish produce stores that deliver? My BIL tried Instacart but the grocery stores were empty and all they got was coffee.
As I said in another thread, I saw an ad for Zabar's and they claim to ship KLP gift baskets. You have to ask about hechsherim but would something like that work for you?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:31 am
I have a brother who is high-functioning special-needs. He is in his 30's and lives in a group home. He usually spends Pesach with me, at least the first days. He is not easy to host and take care of, and has very un-hygenic habits that are challenging for my family.

Last night he told me that his coordinator told him, that if he leaves the home for Pesach he might not be allowed back in, they don't know for how long.

They are not arranging a Seder for him in the group home, as they don't really have people who are willing to run it right now.

So what am I supposed to do? Tell him to stay there alone for Pesach? Tell him to come? I can't assume responsibility for him indefinitely right now. It's hard enough taking care of my own family in quarantine. My family has challenges of our own that make this difficult.

This whole situation is eating me up.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:40 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I have a brother who is high-functioning special-needs. He is in his 30's and lives in a group home. He usually spends Pesach with me, at least the first days. He is not easy to host and take care of, and has very un-hygenic habits that are challenging for my family.

Last night he told me that his coordinator told him, that if he leaves the home for Pesach he might not be allowed back in, they don't know for how long.

They are not arranging a Seder for him in the group home, as they don't really have people who are willing to run it right now.

So what am I supposed to do? Tell him to stay there alone for Pesach? Tell him to come? I can't assume responsibility for him indefinitely right now. It's hard enough taking care of my own family in quarantine. My family has challenges of our own that make this difficult.

This whole situation is eating me up.

Prepare him a pesach/ Seder kit. I wouldn’t take him out- not to you and probably won’t be good for him either.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:53 am
Oh this high-rise-super people. Great that you are all staying home and eating crackers and eggs. Still doesn't entitle you to mock those that don't. Unless there isn't a total shutdown, there's a reason some people are still moving around. You know nothing about others and their situations. Regardless of how many threads discuss this, get off your high horses and begin to understand others.

BTW, there's a difference between travelling to the Sunshine State for a "nicer" Pesach and young couples eating at their young parents. Just putting it out there.

carnation

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:05 am

Yes, it's super hard. And to all others thinking it's too hard, think about this:

It would be WAY HARDER if you, or any other family member young or old has to go into the hospital without family support and hovers between life and death. healthy and young could also die from this virus.

Let's try to avoid this by STAYING HOME. And you will be proud in years to come that YOU did the utmost possible
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics