Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mikvah turned someone away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:47 pm
The halacha might be different after the fact regardless of the letter. I think a very high fee would be a good compromise. Also, if other mikvas will take her, then I assume there is no psak that you must turn people away.

chestnut

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:48 pm
If all rabbis signed this letter, how are there other mikvaos who'll take them?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:50 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I understand not wanting an influx of people who may or may not have been exposed at this time. Do you really believe that you are stopping corona virus from coming to Florida? Do you know that there are over 1000 cases in your state already?

It’s not about stopping it. It’s about everyone doing their part to protect an already vulnerable portion of their society. No one can keep it out of their state, but people should listen to the rabbis who said stay away and also the rabbis who said don’t travel. I really don’t get why that is so hard.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:51 pm
Simple1 wrote:
The halacha might be different after the fact regardless of the letter. I think a very high fee would be a good compromise. Also, if other mikvas will take her, then I assume there is no psak that you must turn people away.

Different mikvaos follow different rabbanim, and tebpsak of the rabbi from this Mikva seems to be only to allow Floridians (and I’m guessing people who were there before this started). I do like your compromise though.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:52 pm
chestnut wrote:
If all rabbis signed this letter, how are there other mikvaos who'll take them?

It wasn’t all rabbis, it was numerous rabbis.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:52 pm
Bad OP, unless you followed the woman at the Mikva and then you got sick, and then bad OP, how dare she not enforce the takanah of the S. FL rabbayim who wrote the letter and publicized it, to protect the kahal.

Rules are rules. Follow them. If you don't, the consequences are on you and you have nobody but yourself to blame.

OP, I am sure it was very difficult to turn her away and made you feel terrible. Kol hakavod for standing the ground of the community. Your action, as hard as it was, may have saved many lives. May you stay safe and may you not be put in this terribly hard position again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:54 pm
Please if you are not part of our community
Please don’t come

There are mikvahs in our city that WILL take you
I’ll even help you find one

But I’m not risking it. Not for me, not for DH
NOT for my elderly parents, or any one else

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:59 pm
Simple1 wrote:
By that logic, the NY and NJ mikvas should be closed. I thought mikvas were said to be safe.

I know it's annoying that some people didn't obey the warnings, but I'm wondering if it's halachically allowed, after the fact, to stop someone from a mitzvah. Maybe a much higher fee for NYers as a deterrent?

According to the state governor, anyone flying in from NY, NJ, or CT must now undergo a mandated 14 day self-quarantine, and another mandate is in the works for anyone who flew down in the past 3 weeks retroactively. "Anyone who violates the quarantine order in Florida is subject to a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by a 60-day jail sentence and up to a $500 fine, the executive order says." (USA Today)

The fact that it is against the law for her to leave self-quarantine for a "non-essential" reason is a huge issue. And yes, I understand that women would go to Mikvah when it was banned to do so in the "olden days" in Russia. However, in this case, her leaving isolation could potentially risk the lives of countless others.

I feel bad for the woman, since being in Niddah for extra time is incredibly frustrating. However, many rabbonim are saying that if someone is sick or could be sick, they should not be risking others by going to Mikvah. You can email mikvah.org asking to hear Mrs Rivky Slonim's message regarding mikvah use during COVID-19 (which was no doubt sanctioned by the rabbonim who help run Mikvah.org).

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:13 pm
It is against Florida state law for this woman to go to the Mikvah. She needs to be quarantined for 14 days .

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:22 pm
I go to Florida multiple times a year for vacation from NJ. I'm not there now and I wouldn't go for health reasons but I think the way FL are talking to NY people is disgusting.
How about FL people don't come to NJ? I have several friends coming from FL to NY/NJ for Pesach and you don't see us checking ID's or turning them away from Mikvahs despite the fact that our health system is more strained than theirs at this point.

I think that for future vacations I will find somewhere else to spend my money.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I go to Florida multiple times a year for vacation from NJ. I'm not there now and I wouldn't go for health reasons but I think the way FL are talking to NY people is disgusting.
How about FL people don't come to NJ? I have several friends coming from FL to NY/NJ for Pesach and you don't see us checking ID's or turning them away from Mikvahs despite the fact that our health system is more strained than theirs at this point.

Blame it on your governor .

At least their governor is not relying on our (NY/ NJ residents ‘ )common sense which apparently doesn’t exist and is taking matters into his hands for the safety of his community.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:34 pm
That is just horrible, any way you look at it. You should never turn away anyone that wants to use the Mikvah. I have news for you OP, Florida is full with it you're probably exposed as well.

What you could have done OP, is to let her go in last. If your afraid of begging in contact with her. Her husband could watch her dip. There's so many way it could if bein done without having to embarrass someone in such a vulnerable stage.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:35 pm
It has NOTHING to do where you are from
You can be from Davis, California
BTW- I heard they have 0 cases of the virus but I’m not sure if this is 100% true.
We are not turning away NY/NJ ppl
We are turning away ANYONE from OOT, out of our town.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:36 pm
And it was not motivated by fear of God, nor love of jew.

You wanted to make a statement.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:39 pm
From what I understand, there is an inyan that husband and wife should not be together when the tzibur is in an eis tzarah (usually they say e.g. famine). Yes I know there were babies born during the holocaust etc. (I guess this should be a spin-off but ...) and maybe leil tevilah is different though I doubt it. (I guess I will go over to the Who's not going to mikvah thread & see if this was discussed.)

I think DH has corona and I asked him to sleep in a separate room several days ago because he insisted on going out way past when he should have, while I very carefully stayed home...

May Hashem watch over all of us.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:40 pm
The woman may have driven down so wasn't in quarantine, but regardless, OP's first responsibility is to her immediate community. She needs to keep Florida women feeling safe to go to the mikvah and they're going to have a more difficult time if constituents learn they're accepting people from the heart of the outbreak.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please if you are not part of our community
Please don’t come

There are mikvahs in our city that WILL take you
I’ll even help you find one

But I’m not risking it. Not for me, not for DH
NOT for my elderly parents, or any one else

Is it possible that this lady NEVER saw the letter? Is it possible that you will be exposed to Covid by a carrier, that you never suspected? May Hashem have Rachmuness on us all. Hope you didn't cause her to do an aveira through your strictness of enforcing your letter. Hattzlacha.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
From what I understand, there is an inyan that husband and wife should not be together when the tzibur is in an eis tzarah (usually they say e.g. famine). Yes I know there were babies born during the holocaust etc. (I guess this should be a spin-off but ...) and maybe leil tevilah is different though I doubt it. (I guess I will go over to the Who's not going to mikvah thread & see if this was discussed.)

I think DH has corona and I asked him to sleep in a separate room several days ago because he insisted on going out way past when he should have, while I very carefully stayed home...

May Hashem watch over all of us.

Interesting to note that I'm mitzrim they had many babies on purpose.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:43 pm
I guess none of you are coming from Brooklyn. People live in tiny tiny apartments with large families. Some ppl need this for their sanity, shalom bayis...
Imagine having 7 kids (or more) in a 2 bedroom apartment. Having kids home all day and cant go out. Would u stay sane?!?! Dont think I would. I bh moved out of Brooklyn not long ago and appreciating my house lot more now. Thinking back how I lived before - dunno how I wouldve been able to stay sane.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

Your “several friends” shouldn’t be going to NY or NJ, anymore than NYers and NJers shouldn’t be going to Florida. What is so hard to get? STAY FLIPPING HOME!!! Listen to the rabbanim, listen to the doctors, listen to the stare officials. What makes anyone think they are above any of this, no matter where they are from?!?! Is it really worth it, to risk getting OTHER people sick, just so you can go away for pesach, or get a vacation from quarantine? We all need it, but the more people don’t listen, the longer this will go on!!!
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics