Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone thinking of making homemade paprika?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 5:37 am
I found several recipes & it seems pretty simple. Cut up red peppers & remove seeds. Dry in dehydrator & I'm sure slow oven overnight would work. Grind in coffee mill.

DS says he thinks paprika comes from an herb or leaf. I told him several people posted that they used the recipe above. He's doubtful. And he's the one who would probably do the work... do I try to convince him or just live with pale yucky looking chicken?

Not to mention my oven roasted potatoes would be greatly improved.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 6:32 am
Paprika definitely is made from red chili peppers, not from an herb or a leaf. Just look at the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

I am assuming you don't use processed food or spices on Peach and that's why you need to make your own paprika? If your concern is just getting the chicken to brown, there are several things you can do, including:
1. Brown the chicken on both sides for a few minutes in oil/schmaltz/whatever you use, then transfer to a roasting pan and bake.
2. Use some sauce that has a sweet base; the caramelization of the sugar will give you the color you want. You can either cook up a sauce that has a sugar or fruit juice base, or you can make a sauce with wine, and then pour over the chicken.
3. Roast the chicken at high temperature, being careful to baste every half hour or so. The skin should become brown and crispy.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 9:08 am
Yup, paprika is dried and ground pepper

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 9:27 am
Right. Ground up desiccated red bell peppers.

Here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

Fave

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:45 pm
Is there anyway to dry the pepper in an oven? I don’t have a dehydrator.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:57 pm
Fave wrote:
Is there anyway to dry the pepper in an oven? I don’t have a dehydrator.

Cut into quarters and lay on cookie sheet. Put in the oven for 1-3 hours on 200 until dehydrated. Watch them and don't let them burn. You can grind the dried peppers in a coffee grinder.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:04 pm
That's mamash what paprika is.
The herby/leafy spices tend to be green....

Fave

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Cut into quarters and lay on cookie sheet. Put in the oven for 1-3 hours on 200 until dehydrated. Watch them and don't let them burn. You can grind the dried peppers in a coffee grinder.

If I don’t have a coffee grinder (I ordered one, but don’t have where to toivel) can I use the S blade in the food processor?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:30 pm
Fave wrote:
If I don’t have a coffee grinder (I ordered one, but don’t have where to toivel) can I use the S blade in the food processor?

Yes see how fine you can get it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:31 pm
I tried to make it last year. Disaster.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:03 pm
I saw some chassidishe rebbes are saying to ease up on minhagim & chumros, I was told by a Rov today that we should also, so def not trying this. (I am OP and I think we will NOT be making our own mayo this year!)

Fave

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I saw some chassidishe rebbes are saying to ease up on minhagim & chumros, I was told by a Rov today that we should also, so def not trying this. (I am OP and I think we will NOT be making our own mayo this year!)

My work hours have been cut this week, and I need to keep busy to for sanity reasons.

I made the paprika, and it came out pretty good. Thanks everyone!

abs

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:21 pm
[quote=

I made the paprika, and it came out pretty good. Thanks everyone![/quote]

I'm so impressed! Kol hakavod!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics