Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Stovetop

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:48 pm
If I want to use my all year round stovetop to cook, Whats the usual way to make t pesachdig? Do I clean it very thoroughly, kasher it and cover and use or do I need to do something more? I will, of course, ask a day an but just want to know if I'm on the right track

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I want to use my all year round stovetop to cook, Whats the usual way to make t pesachdig? Do I clean it very thoroughly, kasher it and cover and use or do I need to do something more? I will, of course, ask a day an but just want to know if I'm on the right track

Wondering same. How exactly do you kasher? I’ve heard different ways.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:54 pm
Not sure. Thats another question I'll need to verify esp since I'll be doing it myself so needs to be relatively uncomplicated....

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:57 pm
We turn the burners to the highest and let them burn for half an hour or an hour (I don’t remember which) and then we clean down the stovetop.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:59 pm
My husband just had a zoom conference with a Rav the other night who said it is enough to just clean thoroughly.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:00 pm
Clean each part very well.

Kasher the grates by putting them into the oven with libbun kal (550°F for 40 minutes).

Cover the surface of the stovetop with foil. Be careful to cut out all areas that are meant to have ventilation. Do not forget the back of the stovetop that has an almost invisible opening across the back of the stovetop, from the oven, which allows the heat to escape up into the air. Very dangerous to close that.*

Place the kashered grates back in place.

The burners kasher themselves each time you use them so nothing more necessary.

*Before pesach it's ok to cook without covering the stovetop with foil. To be careful, some people just use the disposable burner liners when using the stovetop on YT itself, so that no openings are C"V covered by mistake, and then just don't eat anything that falls down.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:10 pm
I just looked this up in Rav Eider's book on halachos of Pesach.

He says they require libun kal. To do this, first thoroughly clean grates and burners.

After this, light the flames full force, and cover them with a metal blech, kettle or pot of water. This makes the flame spread out over a wider area.

Libun kal is considered to be reached when a straw (or tissue) placed on the part of the grate furthest from the flame shrivel up from the heat. He says that for a gas stove fifteen minutes is easily sufficient.

This method koshers the grates and the burners, but not the area in between. Once it has cooled down, the entire stove top should be covered in foil, leaving room for the flames. If using regular foil, a double layer is more reliable than a single layer, which often gets torn during the chag. If using the thick Pesach foil, a single layer is enough.

He also says to clean and cover the area (pan) below the grates.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics