Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mikvah turned someone away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
This is incorrect. Feel free to look it up.

56% of cases in the US are in the NY metro area. Each community is doing its best to contain it, and people traveling freely from place to place makes that exceedingly difficult. This law was made to save lives. There is a tremendous financial loss, yet we are all in support because we don't want even one more death.

That's fine. And if more people posted like this and not telling people to stay out of OUR town I wouldn't have a problem
But the way that people have been speaking here from FL, I'm just not interested in going there and supporting their restaurants and everything else we spend money on when we're there.
They can make their decision and we'll make ours.

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Starting when?

I posted about this last week and got a lot of people telling me I was wrong. Even people from Florida. Last week Hatzolah and many rabbis from the entire state issued a letter with their signatures stating exactly what was described in this thread. It was intended to act as a deterrent for people coming to Florida from NY and NJ. The number of elderly people in Florida is so disproportionate to the rest of the population, they have to keep them safe.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:57 pm
watergirl wrote:
I posted about this last week and got a lot of people telling me I was wrong. Even people from Florida. Last week Hatzolah and many rabbis from the entire state issued a letter with their signatures stating exactly what was described in this thread. It was intended to act as a deterrent for people coming to Florida from NY and NJ. The number of elderly people in Florida is so disproportionate to the rest of the population, they have to keep them safe.

It's not just a deterrent from travel.

Mikvaos are implementing many more stringent cleaning and separation policies to keep people safe. When people come in to.the community from who-knows-where to use the mikva, nobody knows what they're exposed to and it's much more difficult to keep the virus contained.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:58 pm
Are you guys truly offended by a state taking safety precautions?? "I wont give to their restaurants" "I'm offended" etc....

I'm in NY and I'm embarrassed by how NOT seriously soem ppl are taking it.

Yes, I paid a lot for a pesach house elsewhere. No I'm not wealthy. Yes, itll be a first pesach at home. But I am SAVING LIVES IYH and kol hakavod to all states who are doing the same and yes, banning travelers from where the highest percentage of diseases are.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:01 pm
I didn't read the entire thread but I will just add that if you think that the way of protecting yourself is by turning away a woman from a mikvah then just be aware that each bacteria and virus has a gps destination created by god himself.
One can become sick even if they are buried under 7 blankets. The message here is again and again that we are powerless. We are powerless. The world has gone crazy to prove that we humans can NOT control anything. God is in charge of his world.
I understand your concerns and they are valid. Yes they were warned but keep in mind that you failed the test of emunah.
We need to keep proper precautions but being smug about it?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Are you guys truly offended by a state taking safety precautions?? "I wont give to their restaurants" "I'm offended" etc....

I'm in NY and I'm embarrassed by how NOT seriously soem ppl are taking it.

Yes, I paid a lot for a pesach house elsewhere. No I'm not wealthy. Yes, itll be a first pesach at home. But I am SAVING LIVES IYH and kol hakavod to all states who are doing the same and yes, banning travelers from where the highest percentage of diseases are.

For the billionth time. I have NO PROBLEM with the precautions they're taking. I have a problem with the way they're speaking about other Jews.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:08 pm
Yes, people were warned and yes, they should stay home right now.

It's sad to look back in history at times when non-news did not permit Jewish women to use the mikva. It's truly heartbreaking when it's our own Jewish women stopping their Jewish sisters from using the mikva. It's hard to believe this is what Hashem wants right now.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:09 pm
This appalls me. I read through the whole thread. [Comment deleted by Mod.]
I read the letter telling people not to come and almost every person I know that planned to go cancelled and lost money. The letter was first off written not nicely and second off this is not how Jews act. This is sinas chinam.
Maybe they shouldn't have come but you had NO RIGHT to turn them away. The mitzvah of mikvah is a hard and embarrassing mitzvah as it is... [Comment deleted by Mod.]

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:11 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Yes, people were warned and yes, they should stay home right now.

It's sad to look back in history at times when non-news did not permit Jewish women to use the mikva. It's truly heartbreaking when it's our own Jewish women stopping their Jewish sisters from using the mikva. It's hard to believe this is what Hashem wants right now.

Sorry, but without strict precautions all mikvaos will be shut down and NOBODY will be able to use the mikva.

What were dealing with here are a few individuals who put their own needs ahead of the needs of the klal.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:12 pm
crust wrote:
Thanks there is no famine now. Ok?
Please let all stressed out women have some fun thank you.

See Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 240:13 where the Rema, citing the Yerushalmi, paskens:
והוא הדין בשאר צרות שהם כרעבון

In English, other tzaros have the same halachic status in this regard as a famine.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:21 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This appalls me. I read through the whole thread. [Comment deleted by Mod.]
I read the letter telling people not to come and almost every person I know that planned to go cancelled and lost money. The letter was first off written not nicely and second off this is not how Jews act. This is sinas chinam.
Maybe they shouldn't have come but you had NO RIGHT to turn them away. The mitzvah of mikvah is a hard and embarrassing mitzvah as it is... [Comment deleted by Mod.]

I reported your post for mocking a community Rav and a mikvah lady and implying that her DH is not actually a Rav. What a twist- calling a Rav "killing" people by protecting the safety of the women and everyone in his community so they can continue to go to the mikvah.

I don't know what kind of Judaism you practice but yes, Jews do put life above almost all else. You don't get to go to Florida at the risk of other people's lives. You're not more frum because you want to use a mikvah after a community explicitly said you're too high risk to their people and don't come there. You're selfish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:24 pm
Op here,
Let me clarify
1. I didn’t embarrass her, she totally understood
2. I gave her other mikvahs to go to. I helped her find a place that didn’t mind, so no one is sinning on my account

My city has the majority elderly ppl

To the point that my apartment building is not allowing ppl in from other places
EVEN if they own an apartment here.
If they weren’t here already they can’t come.
I don’t know how the building will enforce this

The situation is quite serious.

An outdoor wedding took place here. They had 25 ppl. The police shut them down, because there was more than 10 ppl.
Mid chupa
B”H, they gave them a few minutes to finish up

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
That's fine. And if more people posted like this and not telling people to stay out of OUR town I wouldn't have a problem
But the way that people have been speaking here from FL, I'm just not interested in going there and supporting their restaurants and everything else we spend money on when we're there.
They can make their decision and we'll make ours.

I guess I missed all the posts where people were nasty about it. Where did you see people using mean language?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here,
Let me clarify
1. I didn’t embarrass her, she totally understood
2. I gave her other mikvahs to go to. I helped her find a place that didn’t mind, so no one is sinning on my account

My city has the majority elderly ppl

To the point that my apartment building is not allowing ppl in from other places
EVEN if they own an apartment here.
If they weren’t here already they can’t come.
I don’t know how the building will enforce this

The situation is quite serious.

An outdoor wedding took place here. They had 25 ppl. The police shut them down, because there was more than 10 ppl.
Mid chupa
B”H, they gave them a few minutes to finish up

It's already in your city. Over 2,000 cases and they aren't doing near the level of testing that NY is doing. Once they are, I promise that you'll have just as many cases per capita as NY. Plus, since Florida has the largest population of elderly, Florida will probably have substantial deaths. Unfortunate, but true. When that happens, don't come to NY to visit your children, your parents, for a vacation whatever. I happen to work in a Mikvah in a large community, we won't let you in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:34 pm
It's already in your city. Over 2,000 cases and they aren't doing near the level of testing that NY is doing. Once they are, I promise that you'll have just as many cases per capita as NY. Plus, since Florida has the largest population of elderly, Florida will probably have substantial deaths. Unfortunate, but true. When that happens, don't come to NY to visit your children, your parents, for a vacation whatever. I happen to work in a Mikvah in a large community, we won't let you in.

This is a PLAGUE a PANDEMIC
I don’t expect you to let me go under these circumstances
If it wasn’t these circumstances I would have happily let her dip.
The Rabbis here said no becaus of the circumstance

BTW- when this is all over you’re more than welcome to come to our Mikvah

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:35 pm

FL closed schools, non essential businesses, beaches parks, enacted social distancing- way way way before they reached the number of cases that NY/NJ did before putting those into place. They are hoping to prevent the huge number of cases that we are seeing in the NY metro area. And considering that people in FL are overwhelmingly taking it very seriously, Hashem should help that they don't see a substantial number of cases or deaths. Why would you promise such a thing??????

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:38 pm
Thank you op for protecting our community.
The level of entitlement and pseudo religious emotional blackmail is outrageous.
We are in the midst of a pandemic. We have turned our lives upside down to stop it spreading. Everyone needs to do their part and stay put. How difficult is that to understand? How selfish can you be to think that your justifications override our right to safety?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:39 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
FL closed schools, non essential businesses, beaches parks, enacted social distancing- way way way before they reached the number of cases that NY/NJ did before putting those into place. They are hoping to prevent the huge number of cases that we are seeing in the NY metro area. And considering that people in FL are overwhelmingly taking it very seriously, Hashem should help that they don't see a substantial number of cases or deaths. Why would you promise such a thing??????

I'm not promising anything. I have absolutely no control over the situation. It's just the facts. Look at what happened in Italy-a large population of elderly people = a large number of deaths. There's a reason Italy has the largest death toll.
Once a large percentage of the Jewish population in FL is infected (if that isn't true already), are they going to stop letting everyone go to the Mikvah?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:40 pm
Since nobody has ruach hakodesh, nobody can make promises about deaths. Regardless, what an awful thing to say. G-d forbid is what you should be saying.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a PLAGUE a PANDEMIC
I don’t expect you to let me go under these circumstances
If it wasn’t these circumstances I would have happily let her dip.
The Rabbis here said no becaus of the circumstance

BTW- when this is all over you’re more than welcome to come to our Mikvah

Well are you going to stop letting your fellow Floridians dip when your state has a pandemic problem? Or does this prejudice just extend to people from other states?
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics