Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mikvah turned someone away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm not promising anything. I have absolutely no control over the situation. It's just the facts. Look at what happened in Italy-a large population of elderly people = a large number of deaths. There's a reason Italy has the largest death toll.
Once a large percentage of the Jewish population in FL is infected (if that isn't true already), are they going to stop letting everyone go to the Mikvah?

You made a terrible promise. Please remove it from your post. Beezras Hashem a large percentage will never be infected because people are actually staying home and being very scrupulous. Which, once again, is why we NEED people from outside the state to NOT come and introduce more of the virus into our population.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:42 pm
I would trust the rabbis to make the appropriate ruling in such a case. As they have shown so far.
You should certainly go back and edit your awful statements, btw.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:43 pm
Well are you going to stop letting your fellow Floridians dip when your state has a pandemic problem? Or does this prejudice just extend to people from other states?

Forestgreen, I respectfully ask if you're one of the people who have traveled down to FL now. Otherwise, your mindset on this is mind-boggling.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Forestgreen, I respectfully ask if you're one of the people who have traveled down to FL now. Otherwise, your mindset on this is mind-boggling.

No I'm really not. I didn't even have plans to be anywhere but home at any point.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:46 pm
Well are you going to stop letting your fellow Floridians dip when your state has a pandemic problem? Or does this prejudice just extend to people from other states?

SOME MIKVAHS CLOSED

tweety1

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is a PLAGUE a PANDEMIC
I don’t expect you to let me go under these circumstances
If it wasn’t these circumstances I would have happily let her dip.
The Rabbis here said no becaus of the circumstance

BTW- when this is all over you’re more than welcome to come to our Mikvah

It sounds like you came on here to get justification for what you did. Unfortunately it sounds like youre getting it from some. Mikvah is just not one of those things I'd play around. If you did something that made the woman not being able to dip--hashem sees it. You don't have to answer to nobody but hashem! Doesn't matter if you found her another place, even if you would've driven her there, the fact of the matter is, that you played a role in her not dipping and thats something I'd never want on my shoulders. You can make and give all the excuses you want ultimately hashem saw what you did.

amother
Periwinkle

There is a difference between people who live here and people who are coming to visit. How can you not see that?
Yes it’s here already. We’re doing all we can to stop it spreading. Not traveling across the country to spread it further.

amother
Orchid

amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
See Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 240:13 where the Rema, citing the Yerushalmi, paskens:
והוא הדין בשאר צרות שהם כרעבון

In English, other tzaros have the same halachic status in this regard as a famine.

Only Gedolim can pasken on how to apply the Rama to the Covid-19.
Believe me they know about this Rama, just like and better than we do.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:48 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It sounds like you came on here to get justification for what you did. Unfortunately it sounds like youre getting it from some. Mikvah is just not one of those things I'd play around. If you did something that made the woman not being able to dip--hashem sees it. You don't have to answer to nobody but hashem! Doesn't matter if you found her another place, even if you would've driven her there, the fact of the matter is, that you played a role in her not dipping and thats something I'd never want on my shoulders. You can make and give all the excuses you want ultimately hashem saw what you did.

Not so, if she is following the psak of the rav who oversees the mikvah.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:48 pm
tweety1 wrote:

The only person whose shoulders this is on is the woman herself.

tweety1

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
SOME MIKVAHS CLOSED

This itself is a gezeira!!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:51 pm
This was the psak of those rabbanim, it wasn't just one or two, it was a community wide ruling. Those who don't agree should not be visiting. Period.

amother
Forestgreen

amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
There is a difference between people who live here and people who are coming to visit. How can you not see that?
Yes it’s here already. We’re doing all we can to stop it spreading. Not traveling across the country to spread it further.

Our Mikvah in one of the hardest hit areas is letting people dip no matter where they come from. in fact, I had someone Sunday night who mentioned that she had come from somewhere else with the proper precautions that were taking with everyone. Did I think she was irresponsible for traveling? Sure I did. Did I prevent her from going? No. Once she was already in the physical Mikvah, there wasn't much of a point. Plus our Mikvah would never stand in the way of someone doing a mitzvah like this.

amother
Aqua

It's pretty unbelievable how many frum women are willing to openly mock and criticize an entire list of respected rabbanim.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:59 pm
Our Mikvah in one of the hardest hit areas is letting people dip no matter where they come from. in fact, I had someone Sunday night who mentioned that she had come from somewhere else with the proper precautions that were taking with everyone. Did I think she was irresponsible for traveling? Sure I did. Did I prevent her from going? No. Once she was already in the physical Mikvah, there wasn't much of a point. Plus our Mikvah would never stand in the way of someone doing a mitzvah like this.

I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a good thing at all. Every community has a responsibility to protect their members. This is a serious situation and if someone goes to the mikva and is knowingly breaking guidelines and regulations, it's on her. It's called being selfish. The mikva has every right to refuse her.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:03 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
The only person whose shoulders this is on is the woman herself.

No, but if the mikva attendant listened to Rabbanim she has nothing to worry about.

It’s on the Rabbanim’s shoulders.

And if this is the psak halacha they have nothing to worry about.
Being a Rav is a Huge responsibility.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:03 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a good thing at all. Every community has a responsibility to protect their members. This is a serious situation and if someone goes to the mikva and is knowingly breaking guidelines and regulations, it's on her. It's called being selfish. The mikva has every right to refuse her.

Sure they do. The same way that I then have a right to not patronize stores and restaurants in said community if that community decides that "their" Jews are more worthy than Jews from different states.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:07 pm
You absolutely did the right thing. The rabbonim came out that it is assur for someone from NY to come to FL for pesach.

Just out of curiosity, how did you know she was from NY?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:10 pm
Sure they do. The same way that I then have a right to not patronize stores and restaurants in said community if that community decides that "their" Jews are more worthy than Jews from different states.

That's your prerogative.
If anything, it makes me trust these rabbanim more, they are not swayed by financial concerns, they are doing what they think best to protect their community. I have visited various parts of FL in the past, and will continue to do so, IYH, when this plague ends and I next have an opportunity. And I will happily patronize those stores and establishments that refused to serve visitors during this time period.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:11 pm

Op here
The Lady wasn’t physically in the Mikvah
She called to ask what time the mikvah was open
I asked her a few questions according to what the Rabbis of this town told me to do
I informed her that the rabbis are not allowing anyone out of town to dip in our Mikvah.
I then directed her where to go.

Our mikvah is very small
On a regular night we may have 5-6 ladies, some days 3, some days 0
During tourist season 15-20 (3x as much)

Our guidelines now does not let more than the Mikvah Lady and the person dipping to be in the building. Ladies need to wait in their cars, call and wait. We have very specific protocols in place. No prepping in the Mikvah AT ALL
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics