Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Look on the bright side
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:29 am
Purim was pretty bad timing for this virus to start going around, but at least we had a week or so of advance warning. A lot of Purim parties were outdoor in courtyards or on the street, so there was fresh air circulating.

Imagine what would have happened if the virus was going through the Siyum Ha Shas? Men, women, and children packed in like sardines all day long, and half the night, for a week or more on end. It would have been cataclysmic.

We are all upset right now that we can't see parents and grandparents for Pesach, but at least we now know to stay apart and keep everyone safe. What if we didn't know about the virus until a week after Pesach, and so many more people got seriously ill? What about Pesach hotels? The spread would have been immense.

When you think about it that way, you can see how Hashem has protected us from the worst, and given us a little space to figure out how we want to deal with the social distancing.

Of course, when your time is up, Hashem is the True Judge. Still, one has to stand back, look at it, and say "Dayienu", things could have been so much worse.

(No disrespect meant to anyone who has lost a loved one. I don't mean to minimize your tragedy in any way.)

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:59 pm
FF, you are always an inspiration!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:45 pm
I actually wish this virus was circulating during a quieter, shorter time of the year, like in cheshvan. or kislev. and fewer ppl wouldve gotten exposed. Purim really hurt us. Sad

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:06 pm
It's also a terrible time of year for Jewish businesses. Why not over the summer... In fresh air... When it's not the busiest financial time of year

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:12 pm
If pesach wasn’t coming I’d feel a lot less stressed about all of this.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:14 pm
trixx wrote:
It's also a terrible time of year for Jewish businesses. Why not over the summer... In fresh air... When it's not the busiest financial time of year

Like Mama Bear Sad
Long time no see. I'm sorry that this is what got you out of hibernation.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Like Mama Bear Sad
Long time no see. I'm sorry that this is what got you out of hibernation.

I regret it already though, bc the stupidity of the discussions here have me shaking my head.
I have so little energy to go through the same discussion over and over in all the threads. I'm stressed out by this whole thing as it is.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:16 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I regret it already though, bc the stupidity of the discussions here have me shaking my head.
I have so little energy to go through the same discussion over and over in all the threads. I'm stressed out by this whole thing as it is.

Just go to the cooking threads lol

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:27 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Just go to the cooking threads lol

Yes but who are we cooking for?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:36 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Yes but who are we cooking for?

Well there are all these pesach freshmen who could use the help of an alumnus...

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:14 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Well there are all these pesach freshmen who could use the help of an alumnus...

Tell them not to potchke.

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:18 pm
Frantic-

I like the quote on your footer. Do you know to whom it is attributed?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:20 pm
My brain isnt on cooking yet. Desp plugging away on pesachcleaning my kitchen

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:41 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Frantic-

I like the quote on your footer. Do you know to whom it is attributed?

I wish I could remember. I found it ages ago - but now I'm finding it oddly specific. When I added that to my sig line, I had no idea any of this current situation was going to happen.

kitov

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:44 pm
I was thinking, imagine the outbreak happens soon after Rosh Hashana in Uman or Lag Baomer in Meron. Those would've been catastrophic, almost wiping us out ch"v.

But yes, in a nice season not erev yom tov would be nice. But with us yidden, it's always erev. Erev chassunah, erev baby, erev moving, erev surgery, erev something.

Glad we weren't the one putting corona on the calendar.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:11 pm
Of course things could always be better.

I manage to survive by being a "glass half full" kind of girl. Otherwise I'd completely lose my mind along with my emunah.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:40 pm
In a way, it was a bracha it happened around Purim. The highest wave came through the frum communities at a point when we knew a little more about treatment, but before the huge influx of patients overwhelmed the hospitals.

Crown Heights has a lot of cases, but they are at or past their peak (or at least that's what doctors and Hatzolah seem to say). This happened at a time when there was room and ventilators for all of them available, B"H.

If they are right and 60% of America is going to get it, then the frum communities got it early enough that we will IY"H be spared the worst of it, when we run out of hospital space chas veshalom.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
In a way, it was a bracha it happened around Purim. The highest wave came through the frum communities at a point when we knew a little more about treatment, but before the huge influx of patients overwhelmed the hospitals.

Crown Heights has a lot of cases, but they are at or past their peak (or at least that's what doctors and Hatzolah seem to say). This happened at a time when there was room and ventilators for all of them available, B"H.

If they are right and 60% of America is going to get it, then the frum communities got it early enough that we will IY"H be spared the worst of it, when we run out of hospital space chas veshalom.

Yeah, the one and only thing I've ever been "trendy" about, is catching a virus before the majority of the community got it. Confused

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:48 am
kitov wrote:
I was thinking, imagine the outbreak happens soon after Rosh Hashana in Uman or Lag Baomer in Meron. Those would've been catastrophic, almost wiping us out ch"v.

But yes, in a nice season not erev yom tov would be nice. But with us yidden, it's always erev. Erev chassunah, erev baby, erev moving, erev surgery, erev something.

Glad we weren't the one putting corona on the calendar.

That isn't necessarily true. This virus is not transferred in the same way as the measles. It would have about the same affect on any Jewish community regardless of the time of year. People get it from close, sustained contact not standing outside with thousands of people. The biggest regret was not closing schools early enough - probably bigger than Purim. IYH we will get through this. Stay Healthy everyone.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:24 am
Mama Bear wrote:

I don't think ppl are stupid; I just think they're young and inexperienced.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics